• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Update for Welk owners?

GussieMae

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kona Islander, Vacation Village-Bonaventure, Diamond Resorts San Luis Bay Inn, Welk Escondido Platinum, Four Seasons Aviara
I transferred from deeded week to Welk platinum points about 10 years ago. Following the Hyatt merger (owned by Marriott Vacations), I do not have enough points to use the internal Experiences exchange with Four Sean's Aviara. I have been reluctant to attend a owner update meeting because of bad experiences in the past, but I am considering it. Info from any other Welk owners who have attended the Hyatt update meeting would be greatly appreciated.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
I transferred from deeded week to Welk platinum points about 10 years ago. Following the Hyatt merger (owned by Marriott Vacations), I do not have enough points to use the internal Experiences exchange with Four Sean's Aviara. I have been reluctant to attend a owner update meeting because of bad experiences in the past, but I am considering it. Info from any other Welk owners who have attended the Hyatt update meeting would be greatly appreciated.
I am not a Welk/HVC owner, but an HRC owner and have been tracking this from a distance. My suggestion would be wait until next year at least. There is still much that still needs to be hammered out.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I have been reluctant to attend a owner update meeting because of bad experiences in the past, but I am considering it. Info from any other Welk owners who have attended the Hyatt update meeting would be greatly appreciated.

Another HRC person chiming in: Here's how it will go. They will tell you what they think you want to hear and try to sell you whatever they have for sale, regardless of whether you need it or not.

If there are any substantive changes with Welk/Hyatt, we'll know about them here as soon as they are implemented. No owner's meeting required.

I'm hoping they simply assign Hyatt point totals to each week in the Welk system and that's that. With the way MVC is operating, I don't have a lot of confidence they'll do that. But if they did, Welk owners might not like the points their unit is "worth" in HRC. But it has been my experience that they are very good at tweaking the totals based on demand -- they always have been in the past, at least. The future is very uncertain.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marriott Vacations Worldwide made their annual investor Day presentation on June 16. As part of the 3.5 hour meeting, MVW stated that they are planning an integrated system similar to the new Marriott Abound system. This means that HPC Portfolio and Platinum Program will be combined via a master exchange company and a single set of points will be sold.

From what I heard in the presentation, MVW doesn't have a clear, specific plan at this time. It will be modeled on Abound; a proprietary exchange company will be used; one points product will be sold. But they can't say much more.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacations Worldwide made their annual investor Day presentation on June 16. As part of the 3.5 hour meeting, MVW stated that they are planning an integrated system similar to the new Marriott Abound system. This means that HPC Portfolio and Platinum Program will be combined via a master exchange company and a single set of points will be sold.

From what I heard in the presentation, MVW doesn't have a clear, specific plan at this time. It will be modeled on Abound; a proprietary exchange company will be used; one points product will be sold. But they can't say much more.
I posted on this earlier in the week. The attached has a link to the entire presentation. What I got from this is that going forward HPC and Welk will be fully combined into HVC. HRC legacy will be rebranded to HVC but will have limits similar to what they have now with HPC. Not clear about legacy weeks with Welk.

Hyatt update during MVC investor day call | Timeshare Users Group Discussion Forums (tugbbs.com)

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I got from this is that going forward HPC and Welk will be fully combined into HVC.

What do you mean by "fully combined"?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What do you mean by "fully combined"?
There will be no differences between HPC and Welk in HVC, however HVC will probably look different from the current HPC.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
So we really don't know2 Diddly Squat?

Communication isn't Marriott's long suit.

If it were up to me, Kal and I would go to each of the Welk resorts and draw up Hyatt point matrices. Fold all the Welk properties into what used to be called HRC, even Branson. And have one big vacation club comprising all of Hyatt, all of Welk, and even the Mexico and Branson resorts. I'm sure there's enough inbound demand that it wouldn't be unfair to the other owners to include them.

Marriott could surprise the hell out of us and announce something like that tomorrow. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Communication isn't Marriott's long suit.

If it were up to me, Kal and I would go to each of the Welk resorts and draw up Hyatt point matrices. Fold all the Welk properties into what used to be called HRC, even Branson. And have one big vacation club comprising all of Hyatt, all of Welk, and even the Mexico and Branson resorts. I'm sure there's enough inbound demand that it wouldn't be unfair to the other owners to include them.

Marriott could surprise the hell out of us and announce something like that tomorrow. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Something like this would be best for all of the owners (as a whole), however, it Would remove II from the picture, so reduce MVC’s profit margins.