• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite Stopovers and Places to Avoid on the I-95 Road to Florida

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of the Monte Cristo sandwiches at Bennigan's. One of the few remaining Bennigan's is in Melbourne, FL about 1/2 mile east of I-95.
All our Bennigan's closed in Tidewater VA area... They served some good meals & drinks back in the day.

Last edited:

Kcard

Reaction score
Please observe the speed limit in Emporia, VA it is off I-95 South; headed into the North Carolina state line.

Speed trap capital in Virginia.
You can say that again lol

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emporia is a notorious speed trap, especially on US 58 exiting to I95
Right your driving speed will drop from 65mph to 55 or 45mph. Smokie the Bear will be waiting down the hill for speeders. I'm not LOL.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Going from Columbia to Florida we avoid 95 through SC. We take 321 to Hardeeville and avoid the two lane bumper to bumper SC traffic. For lunch stop at Bobops in Estill, SC. Inside a Marathon gas station but unbelievable home cooked food.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We drove down again over the weekend for about six weeks with a flight home in the middle for a wedding. We tried something a little different this time - we were wheels rolling at 6 AM on a Saturday which took all of the DC/Virginia drama out and got us into NC before 10 AM. We also decided to push straight through with just gas stops and McD's drive through.

We extended our first day push all the way to Brunswick, then took a little (15 min) detour to the coast to the little gem of Jekyll Island, which is like a little baby Hilton Head before being fully developed. The Residence Inn is one of the two or three nicest I've ever stayted, right on the beach, full restaurant/bar. Only a Category 4 as of now, too. The weather was beautiful for late February, too, but really foggy in the morning. I HIGHLY recommend this location and there's also a Westin if you want to get your fancy on.

We got up Sunday morning and were in Orlando (just over 3 hours) by 11 AM.

Over the 13.5 hours of driving we hit about 5 minutes of traffic near Hardeeville (of course in SC...LOL) so the best experience we've had. Northbound was horrible - we saw about a half dozen accidents that had at least 3- 5 mile backups.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Buckee's
We are !-77 drivers who only take I-95 south off of I-26, but on our recent return from Cape Canaveral noticed a Buckee's between there and the GA border off I-95. We were just introduced to that chain visiting our son in B-ham area.
Clean, clean restrooms and a variety of to-go food make it a perfect pit stop!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Buckee's
We are !-77 drivers who only take I-95 south off of I-26, but on our recent return from Cape Canaveral noticed a Buckee's between there and the GA border off I-95. We were just introduced to that chain visiting our son in B-ham area.
I agree. Their gas is cheaper than most places too. There is in fact two between Cape Canaveral and the GA border. One at Daytona and another at St Augustine. The one in St Augustine seems to be bigger. They are almost a tourist destination in and of itself.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I agree. Their gas is cheaper than most places too. There is in fact two between Cape Canaveral and the GA border. One at Daytona and another at St Augustine. The one in St Augustine seems to be bigger. They are almost a tourist destination in and of itself.

They're building another one in Florence, SC. By the looks of it I would assume it be opening pretty soon.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove down again over the weekend for about six weeks with a flight home in the middle for a wedding. We tried something a little different this time - we were wheels rolling at 6 AM on a Saturday which took all of the DC/Virginia drama out and got us into NC before 10 AM. We also decided to push straight through with just gas stops and McD's drive through.

We extended our first day push all the way to Brunswick, then took a little (15 min) detour to the coast to the little gem of Jekyll Island, which is like a little baby Hilton Head before being fully developed. The Residence Inn is one of the two or three nicest I've ever stayted, right on the beach, full restaurant/bar. Only a Category 4 as of now, too. The weather was beautiful for late February, too, but really foggy in the morning. I HIGHLY recommend this location and there's also a Westin if you want to get your fancy on.

We got up Sunday morning and were in Orlando (just over 3 hours) by 11 AM.

Over the 13.5 hours of driving we hit about 5 minutes of traffic near Hardeeville (of course in SC...LOL) so the best experience we've had. Northbound was horrible - we saw about a half dozen accidents that had at least 3- 5 mile backups.
Have you ever considered taking the Autotrain? You have the convenience of your own car in FL, but you don't have to drive it there. We did that once when my FIL was ill and we had to travel with 3 kids under the age of 4. We upgraded to the private bedroom since we had the little kids, but wouldn't have bothered if it were just us. It wasn't the best night's sleep, but it was a vacation in itself for the kids...fun train ride; dinner on the train; watch them load/unload the cars! Plus, it sure beats I-95 traffic for mom & dad!

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay at the airport crown plaza hotel in Jacksonville at eat at the Green Papaya for the best Thai food ever. Also at the Hampton Inn in Santee SC and eat at the Captains Quarters although we found good Thai food nearby there also.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on our way to Florida. Stopped again at the Hampton Inn in Santee. Clean, looks updated, front desk asked us if we wanted bottled water. Coffee, hot chocolate, tea and cookies at 6pm. Always happy with this stop.

(Some traffic in VA - 4 lanes merging into two before the loop but so far, all good).

Brett

Reaction score
We are on our way to Florida. Stopped again at the Hampton Inn in Santee. Clean, looks updated, front desk asked us if we wanted bottled water. Coffee, hot chocolate, tea and cookies at 6pm. Always happy with this stop.

(Some traffic in VA - 4 lanes merging into two before the loop but so far, all good).

it's next to the Fairfield Marriott in Santee - a waypoint for me leaving Southern Florida

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Have you ever considered taking the Autotrain? You have the convenience of your own car in FL, but you don't have to drive it there. We did that once when my FIL was ill and we had to travel with 3 kids under the age of 4. We upgraded to the private bedroom since we had the little kids, but wouldn't have bothered if it were just us. It wasn't the best night's sleep, but it was a vacation in itself for the kids...fun train ride; dinner on the train; watch them load/unload the cars! Plus, it sure beats I-95 traffic for mom & dad!
I'm a big fan of trains - I grew up in Wilmington DE and the only way I traveled to other cities when I was young was that way - but I'd rather be tired from driving and getting a tolerable night's sleep in a RI than a bunk that's two inches smaller than my height, or worse a train seat.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I'm curious about the location of "the loop" and the place where four lanes merge to two. Sounds like just before the Capital Beltway where I-95 splits -- one side going to the inner loop (clockwise) and one going to the outer loop (counter-clockwise). If that's the place, it's in Maryland, not Virginia. Virginia has its own bottleneck -- the notorious "mixing bowl" at the Springfield interchange just south of the Capital Beltway.

Regardless, getting through or around Washington, DC is an ordeal no matter the direction of travel.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I'm a big fan of trains - I grew up in Wilmington DE and the only way I traveled to other cities when I was young was that way - but I'd rather be tired from driving and getting a tolerable night's sleep in a RI than a bunk that's two inches smaller than my height, or worse a train seat.

My wife dislikes the side-to-side motion on the train. I like the train because if I nod off, I don't end up in a ditch or a field.

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
A great resource I use for the New England to Florida drive is the I-Exit app! It’s invaluable for checking gas prices, how far it is to the next rest stop, and which restaurants and motels are at each exit. My WAZE app is great for directing me around any traffic tie ups. Love this thread and hope folks will continue with their tips.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We drove back from Florida to Maryland this past weekend, this time taking a more westerly route I-75/85/95. Will never do that again. Almost nine hours to Atlanta from Orlando on Friday (should have been 6.5), then some backups on Saturday on 85 through the Carolinas where SC has decided to construction on 30 miles of highway all at once. We overnighted at a Residence Inn Midtown in Atlanta which was really cool and then again in Durham/RTP (another great location).

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
For about 15 years (traveling alone) Motel6 was always my choice. Most of the time I was able to stay at one of the newer ones. When I ended up with one in a bad neighborhood I put a chair under the door knob and slept with my gun on the pillow. My rationale was why waste money as all I was going to do was sleep, shower and shave and move on...

George
I worry less about someone trying to break in to my room and more about someone breaking into my minivan and stealing my stuff. I time we stayed in a less desirable place in MD and we ended up bringing all our stuff into the hotel room. It took 3 trips with the luggage cart. Now I look for better neighborhoods.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just did our annual trip from Naples back to NYC. First night, the usual stop at the Hampton Inn in Santee and dinner at Captains Quarters. Both the hotel and restaurant were more crowded than last year at the same time. The Hampton has been recently remodeled and has great staff. Had to wait 45 minutes for table at Captains Quarters but had a drink outside while waiting ($3 for a beer is a great price for us NYC people) and the food is excellent. Next night in Arlington Virginia at the Hyatt Place. Dinner at our daughter's house. Two accidents between Naples and Santee cost us about an hour (one on I-75 and the other on I-95) and the Richmond to DC stretch had the usual slowdowns. Surprisingly, the Arlington to NYC part had no major slowdowns.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do the trip from the DC area to Hilton Head often and have driven down to Orlando several times. The problem with 95 is that after Richmond, there really isn't much in terms of metro areas until you get to Jacksonville or St. Augustine. I wouldn't stay anywhere in NC other than Wilson. There's really nothing in SC at all IMO. I've stayed in Pooler and agree with your assessment. What you get on these exit hotels is what you would think. Rooms turn over every day, staff generally don't care because you are on your way the next day, etc.

My recommendation is to not worry so much if you have to drive 20 or so miles off of 95 for a place to stay. That gets you Fayetteville in NC, Sumpter in SC, and Savannah in GA. In the scheme of things it adds less than an hour to the trip each way. It may be worth the trade off.
YEA and North of DC it's a traffic nightmare. I did the drive from MA to DC and south many times years ago

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must agree with Brett, South of Border is a total waste of time. Restrooms needs to be Covid clean from the top of the ceiling to every inch of the restroom . Drive to the next exit and you can buy cheaper gas, food and fireworks. IMHO
South of the Border big tourist trap.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buckee's
I77 is a better way to go from the midwest, but driving thru WVA in the winter on I77 can be a challenge

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I77 is a better way to go from the midwest, but driving thru WVA in the winter on I77 can be a challenge
We took the I64/I77 drive once from Ohio down to Florida. It took only one time, never again. Far too hilly and mountainous. The drive down 75 is much smoother with only one real big climb over Jellico.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took the I64/I77 drive once from Ohio down to Florida. It took only one time, never again. Far too hilly and mountainous. The drive down 75 is much smoother with only one real big climb over Jellico.
Except for the Atlanta area (horrendous traffic) I 75 is the way to go