• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Favorite Stopovers and Places to Avoid on the I-95 Road to Florida

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Most of the time we fly down to Florida for 1-2 week vacations, but in the past six months we've made the drive south from Baltimore to either Hilton Head or Florida (Singer Island and Orlando) three times, stopping overnight along the way twice. Going forward post-pandemic we'll probably mix it up based on how long we're staying, as I really like having my own car, more space to bring stuff, cheaper, etc.

For those of you that drive down, what are some good pointers on stopping over, whether it be for a quick pit stop to eat, an overnight, or a couple of days? Mine so far (and though these are all recent, I'm not going to comment on the COVID protocols as they have varied so much from state-to-state and over time):
  • Residence Inn, Pooler GA (Savannah Airport exit on I-95): new property, plenty of chain restaurants even in walking distance, trafficky as hell and likely to get worse as they build the Costco there; the RI was nice enough, got a 1 BR on points for me, the DW and DD, though I wouldn't plan on making it a longer stay
  • Residence Inn, Florence, SC (Darlington Raceway exit on I-95): I can't say anything nice about this property...it was filthy and the service was meh; location was fine, similar to Pooler with lots of chain restaurant choices
  • Residence Inn, Rocky Mount, NC (exit 158): basic RI accommodations, not much nearby except an Outback, good value for the Bonvoy points
  • Barley & Burger, Rocky Mount, NC (exit 158 + another 3 miles east): cool, outta the way burger place with a decent local microbrew selection though you're not exactly beer tasting if this is just a pit stop, and they have tater tots :)
  • The Tipsy Tomato, Rocky Mount, NC (exit 158 + another 5 miles or so): your basic wood-fired pizza place - it's pretty popular with the locals and they have a small oven so sometimes your order can take a while; VERY small indoor dining area but they do have a bigger patio with heaters in the winter; small beer selection
  • St. Marys Seafood St. Augustine, FL (World Gold HOF exit on I-95): great little seafood place with bar, indoor, and patio seating that overlooks a small pond; really easy on/off I-95; we plan timing our trips to have lunch here if possible
Would love some more!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Residence Inns are okay, but Hampton Inns are more my speed.

For St. Augustine, we always go to The Columbia in the old city.
Its from the same family as the original in Ybor City in Tampa...
Florida's oldest restaurant, started in 1905.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Residence Inns are okay, but Hampton Inns are more my speed.

For St. Augustine, we always go to The Columbia in the old city.
Its from the same family as the original in Ybor City in Tampa...
Florida's oldest restaurant, started in 1905.

I was a Hampton Inn roadie for a while in my work career, but really prefer a separate sleeping/living arrangement. Once you've gotten accustomed to the 2BR timeshare arrangement, a hotel room for more than two people is tough. :)

I didn't know there was a Columbia in St. Augustine. I've been to the one in Tampa a couple of times and it is an incredible experience.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drive down 50% of the time. Our first choice for overnight is Hampton Inn - second choice is Holiday Inn Express. Our usual stops are in Santee, SC, Rocky Mount, NC, St. Augustine and Jacksonville. Driving home last month, we were not too happy with the Hampton Inn in Rocky Mount, NC. I could live with "needed some updating", but was not happy that it was not as clean as all the other hotels we have stayed in. It's just hubby and I.

Meals, years ago, my husband was very sick after a meal at Olive Garden. Since then, when we drive down, we bring fruit, we make sandwiches with chicken cutlets - stay better than cold cuts. We are willing to try new places on the road but are always afraid. Coming home, we know Cracker Barrel is a safe place to eat - and a quick bite at McDonalds. Not sure about any other places off I95. I would be willing to try places recommended :)

We love having our own car - the only problem - good problem - I take the whole house with me ;).

Every time we make the trip down, we say we are going to stay one or two nights in St. Augustine (I was there many, many moons ago), Savannah, Hilton Head, etc. etc.

We were originally going to fly for our November trip but are now considering driving again. Not 100% sure.

If we drive, open for suggestions for a day trip/overnight in one of the beaches along the coast? St. Augustine? Daytona? Go inland a bit for a hotel instead of one along I95. Hotel or restaurants :)

Looked up Columbia - I would definitely try it and St. Mary's.

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
We are driving go Florida from Maryland for the next 6 months and am open for any suggestions for an good hotel off 95. We will only be stopping for one night.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
For about 15 years (traveling alone) Motel6 was always my choice. Most of the time I was able to stay at one of the newer ones. When I ended up with one in a bad neighborhood I put a chair under the door knob and slept with my gun on the pillow. My rationale was why waste money as all I was going to do was sleep, shower and shave and move on...

George

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
For about 15 years (traveling alone) Motel6 was always my choice. Most of the time I was able to stay at one of the newer ones. When I ended up with one in a bad neighborhood I put a chair under the door knob and slept with my gun on the pillow. My rationale was why waste money as all I was going to do was sleep, shower and shave and move on...

George

Once was enough for me in a Motel 6. Postage stamp towels that served as exfoliation cloths made me decide never again! Days Inns were also crossed off my list after we stayed at one in Tampa using a coupon from those books available at interstate rest areas. That "inn" was in an awful neighborhood and we also put a chair under the knob.

It used to be that police reports about motel crimes were all occurring in the cheapies, but now even the more upscale brands are reporting illegal behavior.

Since joining Hilton Honors, we tend to book hotels in that group, primarily Hampton Inns. Homewood Suites and Home2Suites offer kitchen facilities and we have a Home2 1 bedroom booked for Carlsbad NM with DGS on the sleeper sofa. Their latest brand, Tru, is a bit too bare-bones for me. Even though we are only Silver tier, that status came in handy at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Frankfurt airport which we'd booked for one night in October 2019. Thanks to a kindly front desk employee, we were able to check in at 9:30am in an available upgraded room at no additional charge! We napped til noon and trained into the city refreshed and rarin' to go!

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to stay in budget motels, but now I prefer Hyatt Place or Springhill Suites. I like places with a good free breakfast and a larger room.

I've only stated in one Drury Inn, in Orlando, but it was great with a free evening buffet in addition to free breakfast.

You pay a bit more, but if you are traveling it's good to be comfortable. I can afford it, so why not.

I can say I'm not a fan of paying $600 a night for a Downtown hotel. While I may splurge a little, I'm not going there unless I have no choice.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We are driving go Florida from Maryland for the next 6 months and am open for any suggestions for an good hotel off 95. We will only be stopping for one night.
In my OP, I noted Pooler GA as a good stopping point. Depending on where you're starting from in Maryland and traffic conditions, plan 8.5-10 hours to get there. It's nice because then you're getting to most Florida destinations by lunchtime. I think they have every hotel chain on the planet there. Halfway is Florence, SC, but I would avoid the Residence Inn there.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do the trip from the DC area to Hilton Head often and have driven down to Orlando several times. The problem with 95 is that after Richmond, there really isn't much in terms of metro areas until you get to Jacksonville or St. Augustine. I wouldn't stay anywhere in NC other than Wilson. There's really nothing in SC at all IMO. I've stayed in Pooler and agree with your assessment. What you get on these exit hotels is what you would think. Rooms turn over every day, staff generally don't care because you are on your way the next day, etc.

My recommendation is to not worry so much if you have to drive 20 or so miles off of 95 for a place to stay. That gets you Fayetteville in NC, Sumpter in SC, and Savannah in GA. In the scheme of things it adds less than an hour to the trip each way. It may be worth the trade off.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We always used to drive from Florida to Massachusetts in the summer when the kids were small and Grandparents were alive. (Miss those days) . We would drive to Petersburg, VA. And stay at Steven Kent Inn. Then drive thru to our destination in Massachusetts.
We would stop for lunch usually fast food. Bring breakfast cereals and snacks for the van.
We no longer drive up ,if we visit we fly. Since we have IHG points we usually stay at Holiday Inns . We went to Mt. Jackson, VA. last September and stopped at a Holiday Inn in S.C. We have driven to Myrtle Beach, SC. And stopped in Walterboro on the way for one night. Now when it’s just us we don’t drive very long distances without a stop. We stay in timeshares a lot when we travel, usually add a night in hotel on going and leaving.
With Covid we have been very careful, but now are venturing out a bit more,

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband has a scooter so we have been driving to Florida from just north of Boston in MA for years now. We have two main routes, both of which avoid the George Washington Bridge in New York and any place around Washington DC. (Don't listen to Google maps that tell you that the time is shorter staying on 95. It lies like a rug. There inevitably will be a massive pileup that delays you way past any expected time savings.) The routes also can be used to avoid snow and/or rain or big summer tie ups. (Just an FYI, we are Marriott owners, so we try to stay at Marriotts, for the most part.)

• Route A is the Delaware route, you go all the way down Delaware, through Eastern Shore Maryland, to Norfolk, and then over to 95. (To avoid the George Washington Bridge, we go over the Cuomo Bridge. You literally have to put the Cuomo Bridge as your destination point and then choose your ultimate goal after that to get it to work.)
  • Route B is the meet up at 95 in VA Route. You go to Pennsylvania Scranton from Boston (Interstate 78 West to 81 south to Winchester VA) to 66 east to 95 south route and you meet up with 95 at Fredricksburg (This takes you over the Tappen Zee Bridge so you avoid the George Washington Bridge.)
  • Route C is the Mountain Route. You go the same as above but you stay on 81 South all the way down to 77 south and you don't get on to 95 until South Carolina. (You go through Fancy Gap and by Mt. Airey, the original Mayberry setting for the Andy Griffith Show. Snow and fog most likely this route, but on great clear days, it is wonderful!)

So three routes that you can take based on weather, time of year (beach Delaware/Eastern Shore route we haven't tried in the summer.)

All of these routes, depending on traffic, gets you there within an hour or so of each other.

Most times we bring lunch on the way down. We may stop on the way to get takeout for dinner to eat at the hotel or we may stop for dinner at our destination. (Covid, of course, had way more takeout dinners!)

Route A (the Delaware Route) -- We would like to stay at Rocky Mount, but lots of times that is $50 more a night and just a bit too far to push it. If we do stay at Rocky Mount, then there is a GREAT barbecue place, Prime Smokehouse and Barbecue. The sausage is really good! If we don't stay in Rocky Mount and it is winter, then we stay in Norfolk at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Virginia Beach. This is off season for them. It is right next to the outlets, Ikea, and not far from a Costco. We get there around 5. Lots of places to eat. I go to the Costco. I'm fascinated by the regional Costco differences! I also can stock up on things. A few things about this Fairfield Inn, they were in the midst of renovations (I think and hope.) Their toilets are the WORST I've ever experienced! They sound like an airplane engine and they don't work. That is all I will say. Experience it yourself and you will know what I mean.

• Other things we have done on this route to eat. Stopped at Edward's Seafood in Onley, VA. (We always travel with a cooler and plenty of ice packs.) We got Maryland crabs and crab cakes and took them to our timeshare in Williamsburg and had a feast. The crab cakes were fresh (not cooked) and we cooked them in the oven. We brought crackers and newspapers and also got a dozen crabs. Make sure you ask for the size if you order them.
    • We also got takeout at Machipongo Clam Shack in Nassawadox VA and had that at the hotel too. (Didn't find a great menu item there yet. We tried twice.)
  • Really want to try Redneck BBQ in Benson, NC though. We never seem to make it when they are open.

Route B Meet up at 95 In VA route. We usually stay in Winchester, VA. We did used to eat at an Italian place, get so many leftovers that we would eat them at a rest stop on the way down (or in Schulyer at the original Walton's mountain for a different trip) but their Winchester VA spot near the hotels closed with Covid. Open to suggestions here!

Route C Mountain Route.

More notes on each later...

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Thank you, KProuty. We are planning on driving down from Long Island in January, and your information is very helpful. - Jacki

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have l literally stayed in almost every Marriott/Hilton property from Fayetteville to SAV along I95.
Florence, SC: I like all the M/H at the exit by the Mall. Lots of food including Mellow Mushroom.
SAV By the airport: very nice newish Homewood Suites next to Embassy Suites. Both excellent. FF at SAV is OK, RI, and SH Suites are fine. Aloft in downtown SAV (can sometimes use lower points awards) is funky Aloft design (open shower/bathroom concept), but very well located, SH Suites in downtown SAV is even better. Both walkable to historic areas.
On our last trip, we tried RI on Amelia Island. It's fairly close off I95. Great property and loved Amelia Island with great public beaches. You can rent bikes at RI-very fun. Cedar River Seafood is nearby, fantastic low key, low country place. Fernandina on Amelia has a funky artsy old town area. We'll there stop again, for sure.
ST Aug: a bit farther off I95, but a great longer stop for historic area/food. Also love The Columbia. Marriott's Casa Monica is really cool, but $$$. We stayed at the Holiday Inn just outside of old town for 1/3 of the price. I'd stay there again if the price was right.
JAX: most of the hotels there offer good rates. Sometimes we stay there after a full day at WDW to get up the road a few hours.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I'm a sucker for any Exit that has a Zaxby's. First one I visited was in Lumberton, NC about 10 years ago. I95 is my least favorite road to drive on.

mbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drive from NYC to Naples. First night in Wilson, NC at the Hampton Inn. It is at exit 121 and there are at least 8 or 9 hotels form every chain at that exit. Second night at the Doubletree in Gainesville. Reverse trip home, first night in Santee, SC at the Hampton Inn. Good Mexican restaurant (Armando"s). Next night in DC. Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
And if you stop, be sure to get some of the Blenheim's Ginger Ale. The hot stuff will blow your head off with the ginger heat. Chill a couple as you finish your drive and have them with vodka at the end of the drive.

We are big fans of @KProuty's Route C along 81 and down 77. Coming from Eastern Ontario we could slip over to I-95 sooner but prefer the 'trucker's route' along the Appalachians. There is a lot less traffic and some really nice scenery. We usually stop over one night on the way down, either Hazelton PA or Hagerstown MD. We bring a fair bit of road food, so don't stop for a lot of meals along the way, and I don't think we've generally hit the same place twice. We do some attractions if time permits; driving the Skyline Drive takes a bit of time but worth it, and Luray Caverns are a really neat attraction.

Armada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Old Town Alexandria
La Belle Maison
In the south, our typical lunches include a quick stop for gas and then over to the local Publix for deli sandwiches.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
I was a Hampton Inn roadie for a while in my work career, but really prefer a separate sleeping/living arrangement. Once you've gotten accustomed to the 2BR timeshare arrangement, a hotel room for more than two people is tough. :)

I didn't know there was a Columbia in St. Augustine. I've been to the one in Tampa a couple of times and it is an incredible experience.

There are 7 Columbia 1905 restaurants. 3 in Tampa, 1 in St Augustine, Celebration, Clearwater Beach, and Sarasota.

Fried_shrimp

Reaction score
Buc'ees opened in St. Augustine. It's quite the spectacle.

And gas is significantly cheaper as well. Just stopped at this location yesterday on the way home from base. Gas was $2.59 whereas most of the surrounding area is $2.75 to $2.82.