• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Airlines Is Launching Belize Flights

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I noticed that. Belize is a place that I would like to visit. DS#1 and DDIL like to dive, and it might be a good place to have a get together.

I first learned about Belize when there was a fraudulent timeshare project in Belize. The developer collected money in pre-sales for a project in Ambergris Caye, got a RCI listing, and some of the purchasers were actually able to get RCI exchanges based on inventory that was to be deposited when the resort was complete. The perp stalled as long as possible, collecting as much money in presales as he could, and disappeared when the project collapsed.

++++++++++++

Added note. I remember the name of the resort. It was the Basil Jones Resort.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Even though things are still vague, is there any ideas on which US cities Alaska will fly from? I couldn't find anything specific on the Alaska site.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Even though things are still vague, is there any ideas on which US cities Alaska will fly from? I couldn't find anything specific on the Alaska site.

Dave
Pure speculation .............

Based on past history, I think it most likely that AS will provide service from LAX. When they had service to Puerto Rico, they flew out of LAX. For service to Mexico, off-season, they fly out of LAX.

Logically, AS seems to view Los Angeles as the "hub" for service to Latin America. They will fly out of other locations where/when there is enough demand to support a route. So unless there is some significant contingent of Belize residents/interests one of their other primary service locations, they seem to default to LAX.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I noticed that. Belize is a place that I would like to visit. DS#1 and DDIL like to dive, and it might be a good place to have a get together.

We love our winters in Belize. There is some really good diving locations just off the coast of Belize as well as many snorkeling spots that we enjoy. The barrier reef is very close to Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. There are some high end accommodations in and near San Pedro and more are opening soon. The new Hilton & Marriott properties might have some timeshare units as we saw on the local news that they will have 1 and 2 bedroom stand alone cottages on the developments.

I read in the Belize news that the direct Alaskan Air flights will be from Los Angeles and Seattle beginning this fall.

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Based on past history, I think it most likely that AS will provide service from LAX. When they had service to Puerto Rico, they flew out of LAX. For service to Mexico, off-season, they fly out of LAX.

Logically, AS seems to view Los Angeles as the "hub" for service to Latin America. They will fly out of other locations where/when there is enough demand to support a route. So unless there is some significant contingent of Belize residents/interests one of their other primary service locations, they seem to default to LAX.

I read in the Belize news that the direct Alaskan Air flights will be from Los Angeles and Seattle beginning this fall.

~Diane

Seems kind of odd. Checking Google Maps, it says LAX to Belize City is a 4+ hour flight. Coming from Miami, it's only 2+ hours. :shrug:

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Seems kind of odd. Checking Google Maps, it says LAX to Belize City is a 4+ hour flight. Coming from Miami, it's only 2+ hours. :shrug:

Dave
But if I have to make a connection in Miami from the Pacific Northwest, it is well beyond a 4+ hour flight. In fact, getting to any Caribbean location from the PNW involves a red-eye flight to somewhere in the east, followed by a morning connecting flight.

So if we can make a direct 4+hour flight to Belize, even with a three-hour time difference we cam avoid the red-eye flight. Which makes that much more accessible for us.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
But if I have to make a connection in Miami from the Pacific Northwest, it is well beyond a 4+ hour flight. In fact, getting to any Caribbean location from the PNW involves a red-eye flight to somewhere in the east, followed by a morning connecting flight.

So if we can make a direct 4+hour flight to Belize, even with a three-hour time difference we cam avoid the red-eye flight. Which makes that much more accessible for us.

Ok. That makes sense. I always thought the airlines wanted the shortest routes, but in this case, apparently not. :D

Dave

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
The best thing about flying into Belize on the early morning flights on AA from Miami or Delta from Atlanta is that those 2 flights get in just before or at noon and are the first and only major commercial flights landing at BZE. Every time we have been on one of those flights they roll up 2 sets of stairs, since they arent needed for another plane, and empty the plane from the front and back simultaneously. The Immigration/Customs hall is empty and the baggage claim area is not crowded at all. The terminal is very small and there are only a few booths for Immigration and Customs. We are usually anywhere from 15-30 mins from getting out of our seat in the plane to being out in the parking lot getting into our ride to our apartment. Even last December with needing an arrival Covid test and waiting for results we were less than 40 mins from leaving the plane to getting in the car.

Starting about 1pm until about 4pm there can be, and often are, 2, 3 or 4 jets arriving within minutes of each other and the lineup for Immigration is all through the building and outside (in the sun) as the small facilities and limited staff are overwhelmed. The smaller regional airlines (Tropic Air and Maya Air) at BZE that fly to San Pedro and other cities, wait or let passengers take the next flight since so many miss their booked time due to wait times to get through Immigration and Customs. Unfortunately the Water Taxis from Belize City to San Pedro do not wait and folks on late afternoon flights hoping to catch the last run (5:30) to San Pedro, often miss it due to the crowds at the airport and then the 45-90 minute taxi ride to the water taxi terminal downtown.

~Diane