• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you experiencing changes in flight schedules after you make reservations?

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a first world problem, but I am finding that airlines are changing the flight schedules after I book my flights.
I had JetBlue/American Airlines delay my flight back to EWR by more than 4 hours, which caused me to cancel the flight and switch to another airline. Delta just changed the time of its flight from SAV to JFK by over 2 hours, which impacts on what we wanted to do in Jekyll Island. United also changed the time we have to leave EWR by a few hours earlier, which puts us in the middle of rush hour.

Are you experiencing this also?. Perhaps this is happening more in NYC where there are more flights that are being scheduled initially and the airlines are consolidating those flights as we get closer to the date of departure.

VacayKat

Reaction score
If I book a flight more than 3 months out, it’s a given they will change it. But since pandemic has started it is worse because they change things more frequently due to passenger loads and capacity. Flights are combined or canceled. We had one where we had to change our outbound by days not by hours.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a first world problem, but I am finding that airlines are changing the flight schedules after I book my flights.
I had JetBlue/American Airlines delay my flight back to EWR by more than 4 hours, which caused me to cancel the flight and switch to another airline. Delta just changed the time of its flight from SAV to JFK by over 2 hours, which impacts on what we wanted to do in Jekyll Island. United also changed the time we have to leave EWR by a few hours earlier, which puts us in the middle of rush hour.

Are you experiencing this also?. Perhaps this is happening more in NYC where there are more flights that are being scheduled initially and the airlines are consolidating those flights as we get closer to the date of departure.
Absolutely. My last travels included a trip from PSP to ORD for me / my daughter. I booked direct flights. My daughter's flight was changed (mine was not) so that she had to take a connecting flight through DFW.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
The airlines are a mess at the moment. As demand is picking up, their scheduling/pricing models are as confused as can be and laying on top of that the elimination of change fees/cancellation penalties only adds to the uncertainty.

I just completed a trip where I changed my destination airport to one 70 miles away to avoid a 2 connection return that should have involved around two hours of flight time.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes both flights on Frontier where direct for our Easter vacation where changed to 1 stop each way impacting our Costco rental car reservation by 6 hours EARLIER and having to make another car rental $$$. Also Delta changed my direct flight home from OKC to one stop causing 4 more hours of travel home from a work trip ! Luckily they paid me for the extra travel time. :(

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
always happens, even without Covid.

I use it to my advantages at times, to switch to flights that otherwise were more expensive, but since the time is too long on times are not conducive I try to get the airlines to change me without a fare change.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
This is nothing new -- the airlines have been doing this for years. If you haven't experienced it until now, consider yourself lucky.

Kurt

That's true but it is worse now during the pandemic. I just had a change to flights six weeks out. I've never had a change that close to the date of departure. But as you say, it has been happening for years. It is jus the frequency is greater and the time of change can be closer to departure.

SHG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Riviera Beach and Spa, Dana Point
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC on Blvd
Hyatt Beach House
I also am managing through several changes. AA first moved my flight out of Palm Beach up by about 3 hrs. Then the following week, they moved the connecting flight out by ~2hrs, in total, extending my flight by ~5hrs!!!! Fortunately, I was able to move my originating flight back to a later flight, so it looks like my flight will only be ~1.5hrs longer..... You do have to watch what they will do to you...

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had better luck than normal, with the few flights we've selected not being changed much before departure. Our past experience is frequent changes to flights we so specifically chose to go along with plans made for our destinations. Inevitably, we'd end up with flights that messed everything up, and often with no new arrangements that could fix things. For whatever reason, our most recent 3 trips have survived with no significant changes! Weird. Not what we expected.

FlowMan

Reaction score
all the time, either flight number changes (typically means swapping into a bigger or smaller plane based on demand) or even changing times in a few situations.

For the most part, if I schedule 2 weeks out it doesn't change often, greater than that I'll probably see one change or another.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Hi Bunk,

When you visit Jekyll Island, I recommend you visit the Jekyll Island Club Resort (www.jekyllclub.com). You can enjoy a meal there if you chose - they used to have a rule of Jacket and tie for dinner (but not sure if that is still in effect). You might arrange a tour of the rooms that were used in the 1910 secret meetings that led to the founding of the Federal Reserve System.

For more background information:

The Meeting at Jekyll Island

and
How a secret meeting on Jekyll Island led to the Fed

and
Birth of the Fed
The secret expedition that formed America’s central bank

Also to learn more about Paul Warburg see an excellent book by Ron Chernow (author of "Hamilton") - "The Warburgs: The Twentieth Century Odydessy of a Remarkable Jewish Family"

Richard

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Funny question. About 10 days after making my last flight reservation it was changed on my end because I found a better flight. I made a reservation for my grand son for a tournament but it was canceled so I canceled his flight. I guess these are covid blessings in disguise.

Usually we make our flight reservations at about a year out. They are always changed. Sometimes better, sometime worse.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Flight was changed for relatives coming here. Gave them an 8 hour layover, which took up a full travel day out of three. They are not coming.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
New connection time for us in DFW is 39 minutes with change notified to us just 10 days prior.

Fortunately there is usually padding in the schedule so you are likely to get in early. Doesn’t leave room for problems.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is nothing new -- the airlines have been doing this for years. If you haven't experienced it until now, consider yourself lucky.

Kurt
Back in my working days I would often schedule both legs on a trip separately. It would depend on the time between the legs. I felt I had more control this way and never had a problem with it. With what is going with the airlines today I would never do this...

George

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Bunk,

When you visit Jekyll Island, I recommend you visit the Jekyll Island Club Resort (www.jekyllclub.com). You can enjoy a meal there if you chose - they used to have a rule of Jacket and tie for dinner (but not sure if that is still in effect). You might arrange a tour of the rooms that were used in the 1910 secret meetings that led to the founding of the Federal Reserve System.

For more background information:

The Meeting at Jekyll Island

and
How a secret meeting on Jekyll Island led to the Fed

and
Birth of the Fed
The secret expedition that formed America’s central bank

Also to learn more about Paul Warburg see an excellent book by Ron Chernow (author of "Hamilton") - "The Warburgs: The Twentieth Century Odydessy of a Remarkable Jewish Family"

Richard
Also see this previous Tug Thread.

Richard

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Absolutely. My last travels included a trip from PSP to ORD for me / my daughter. I booked direct flights. My daughter's flight was changed (mine was not) so that she had to take a connecting flight through DFW.
omg! Did you get that changed/fixed? or did you fly home separately?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Constantly.... it’s insanity. They moved my STT > JFK up an hour and I chose to take a connecting flight to leave at 3PM instead of 1PM. I don’t want to have to rush to get to the airport since friends are all leaving at 7PM.

so many flights have been cancelled or changed. It’s frustrating because they want to encourage travel yet are making it impossible to book anything. I’ve heard of stories where flights being cancelled and people being rebooked for the next day. Great, are they paying for another night in the hotel?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Southwest changed our flight by 25 minutes, and I was able to select a better flight (with no extra charge) online after I got the email. It was a nice surprise. I tried to change the flight myself a few days before, and it was an upcharge to change it. They opened up the entire day and no difference in price. Southwest is just superior that way.

We fly Southwest to Hawaii in June. Rick is not looking forward to sitting in those uncomfortable seats, but the savings over our usual choices was so significant. I couldn't resist trying it. He can have the window, I will take that middle seat.

I wish they would let me buy the middle seat for us to spread out a bit.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
always happens, even without Covid.

I use it to my advantages at times, to switch to flights that otherwise were more expensive, but since the time is too long on times are not conducive I try to get the airlines to change me without a fare change.

I consider my vacation time as valuable. So typcally choose a flight that land me at my destination a few hours before check-in and as mostly they are one stop, have at least a 1 hr connection time (prefere 1 1/2 to 2 hrs), so as not to miss connecting flights. These flights are more likely to cost more $$. Any experiences with the airlines when you pay the preimuim for your preferred time frame, and now are re-scheduled to a less desirable time frame?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider my vacation time as valuable. So typcally choose a flight that land me at my destination a few hours before check-in and as mostly they are one stop, have at least a 1 hr connection time (prefere 1 1/2 to 2 hrs), so as not to miss connecting flights. These flights are more likely to cost more $$. Any experiences with the airlines when you pay the preimuim for your preferred time frame, and now are re-scheduled to a less desirable time frame?
YES! See my comments above. I paid a premium for direct flights and then my daughter got moved to a connecting flight. It then created issues as were , in theory, traveling together. So had to figure out logistics for getting from resort - airport separately. And then getting from arrival airport our home separately. Big PIA!