• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We just got kicked out of a presentation

rchansler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
Update: They rectified the situation. Yesterday, corporate rescheduled another presentation for this today. Then, this morning, they canceled the presentation, said we won't be charged for the cost of the room, and unhooked our account so we no longer have to do presentations for the remainder of our sampler.

We have a sample package and we are intent on using it up and being done with it. We had a meeting scheduled today and we went in with the plan of staying firm on saying no as we always do. Right from the get go it got heated between the sales rep and my wife. Then things started to intensify. He then left and said your 90 minutes will begin when you are ready to talk. This got my wife more upset and she got up to talk to the manager. I will not hold back that she was pretty miffed and it was noticeable on the sales floor. The rep came back and told use we could leave, but as we walked out, he said we will be charged for our stay. After we left, I called the DR Sampler line and he noted that they let us leave but said because we didn't stay the entire time, he didn't know if we'd be charged. He told us to go back and see if they would let us finish. The manager refused and said we were disruptive on their sales floor, which, to his credit, we were. I then called the DR line back and told the operator that they refused us to come back in. He said he would reschedule it for tomorrow and if they refuse us again, we will not be charged for our stay. So that's where we are. I don't know if I fully trust the operator though. My stomach is kinda knotted up. I'm not as outspoken as my wife, so she's gonna allow me to play good cop tomorrow if they let us do the presentation. Can they still charge us if they refuse to do it? We're almost done with our package and I'm thinking we got the most out of it and after this we'll call it a wash.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Why did the presentation become confrontational? It's always okay to be polite and just fulfill the obligation to the 90 minutes and still say no. On the other hand, I am sorry you were treated so badly. Timeshare salespeople can be extremely rude, I know that.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have no idea what is going to happen, but you guys need to decide what the end game is here. I think it is that you want the value of your sampler but don't want to buy anything (fair). To get it you have to get through the presentation (fair). You guys need to go in and just sit there and let them talk. Like Cindy said, be polite or just don't respond at all. Just sit. They can't kick you out for being quiet but they can do it for being disruptive apparently. It's 90 minutes. You can do it.

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've pretty much quit going to any presentations. We know how it will end, but it's still aggravating as hell.

We tell them we're there to get an informational update, because we only go to ones they pitch that way, usually after expanded or new programs at our timeshares, where we genuinely want to learn new details. Both sides know it's a prelude to a sales pitch, but at least we get something out of it this way.

Too many times they became more aggressive about making a sale after six or seven times of hearing no from us though.

I've often felt like kicking THEM out of the presentation.

This was all pre-Covid, but we will not likely go to another one, unless something really new comes up in the points or other program options that really makes it worth sitting down to hear.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've pretty much quit going to any presentations. We know how it will end, but it's still aggravating as hell.

We tell them we're there to get an informational update, because we only go to ones they pitch that way, usually after expanded or new programs at our timeshares, where we genuinely want to learn new details. Both sides know it's a prelude to a sales pitch, but at least we get something out of it this way.

Too many times they became more aggressive about making a sale after six or seven times of hearing no from us though.

I've often felt like kicking THEM out of the presentation.

This was all pre-Covid, but we will not likely go to another one, unless something really new comes up in the points or other program options that really makes it worth sitting down to hear.
My vacation time is too valuable to even give up 90 mins.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. What I have done twice when wanting information on a particular Resort is go into the Sales Office in mid afternoon and say something like "I don't want a formal presentation and I don't want a gift. All I want is to talk with a Sales Representative". Both times they provided me with a Sales Rep who walked me around the Resort for about 45 minutes and answered all my questions. One was Marriott in Aspen and the other was the Boulevard HGVC in Las Vegas. Both times they were pleasant, informative experiences...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. " .... we went in with the plan of staying firm on saying no as we always do. "

How many of these have you done? :ponder:

Reaction score
Your salesman must have had a bad month and is in danger of being fired for not making quota (not your problem). If you need to go to get your stay for free, go. If they refuse, you still have a free stay.

TS

rchansler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
Interesting. " .... we went in with the plan of staying firm on saying no as we always do. "

How many of these have you done? :ponder:
We've done 4 so far. My wife admits that she could have handled it better. She was not feeling well. I was in "What just happened?" mode. :oops: We're scheduled for a another one tomorrow and corporate said that if we show up and they refuse to let us do the 90 minutes that it will be on the sales associate and we won't be charged. I showed my wife the responses on this thread and she agrees that she'll play nice tomorrow if they let us do it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yeah - Just sit through the 90 mins and leave when you are done.
It isn't always that easy. The first thing we are asked EVERY TIME is, why are you here. Ummm, I am here because YOUR marketing department invited me. It sometimes goes downhill from there....

Just sitting there isn't an option. They want dialog, back and forth. You ask, they answer, they ask, you answer.

rchansler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort
Thanks everyone for your comments. I shared them with my wife and she admits that she could have handled it better. She hates getting taken advantage of and high pressure sales. Plus, she was not feeling well. I think we learned from our sampler experience that these kinds of things aren't for us. Corporate scheduled another one for us tomorrow and said that if we show up and they refuse to let us do the 90 minutes that it will be on the sales associate and we won't be charged. My wife said that she'll play nice tomorrow if they let us do it.

Reactions: RX8

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I agree it is hard not to respond. I would just say, "I am here on the sampler. The sampler package requires us to listen to what you have to say in the next 90 minutes. We are not in a situation to buy at this time but please tell us about Diamond or let us go now and not waste your time. Your choice."

Although they are high pressure, you have no obligation to be open and honest with them about your financials, your lifestyle etc. You agreed to attend a sampler presentation. Not to share your personal situation e.g. "I don't know there are a lot of unknowns right now (Covid, stability of job, travel, childrens school schedule, health - you get the gist..all of these changes since we signed up for the sampler)" This goes a long way.

BTW...We have attended HGVC, Marrriott and Hyatt presentations successfully but have never attended a Diamond presentation. We usually are interested in learning more about the network or talk about new locations so that helps the time to pass quickly. We don't buy. Such meetings have always been respectful and we stand up at the end of 90 minutes and say, "Thank you. Can we go now? We have been here for the agreed upon 90 minutes."

Last edited:

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
We actually had the best experience at Lagunamar, we were upfront that we weren't going to buy, but we had a great 90 minute conversation about the resort, the area, where they're favorite places to eat were. Not to be confused with Vistana Resort when we said " no thank you" and stood up at 90 minutes only to have the salesperson chase us out yelling "you will be leaving your grandchildren nothing except a black and white TV".

VacayKat

Reaction score
So we had similar experience with Diamond sampler, in that we had a sampler and a super high pressure almost antagonistic presentation. We had been lied to as to where we could use the sampler and literally picked anywhere to go just to use it and not lose the points. We said that to the sales person, and that we had no intention of purchasing - right up front. As in, they asked why are you here? And we replied: To use the sampler and be done with Diamond. Went downhill from there but we stuck with, ‘we were lied to, why would we want to give a company that lies to us business’ and ran out the time.
As long as you're not giving them any info about yourself they have to keep trying different methods to get you to talk. I always suggest saying things just loud enough for others to hear but in a courteous manner - they work real hard to keep others from hearing, which makes it easier for you to just sit there.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Last one I went to, like always, I was up front that I wasn’t buying. I offered to either leave and let them move on to the next prospect or waste everybody’s time. Naturally he said let’s talk.

After the pitch started and I explained what I owned and why I wasn’t interested, after a bit we spent the rest of the time talking about traveling and airplanes, which was fun since he was an aircraft mechanic and I am an aircraft engineer and pilot.

If they keep pushing you to buy, you might try to find something you both share and talk about. If the sales weasel keeps pressing, don’t argue, just say “that doesn’t interest me”. If asked why, “It’s not worth it” or “I have enough now and can’t use it anyway”. You’ll never turn a bad sales weasel off but the best answer to me if I get the question “THEN WHY DID YOU COME HERE!” is “Your outfit made me an offer I couldn’t refuse”. If that doesn’t get a laugh, just keep saying no is different ways.

Cheers

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I agree it is hard not to respond. I would just say, "I am here on the sampler. The sampler package requires us to listen to what you you have to say in the next 90 minutes. We are not in a situation to buy at this time but please tell us about Diamond or let us go now and not waste your time. Your choice."

You aren’t there just for a gift. You are there because your purchase of the sampler package required the presentation. @CalGalTraveler hit the nail on the head. If you say what she has suggested not only will it go smooth but you might be out in as little as 15 minutes.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The last timeshare presentation I went to was at Wyndham on Kauai. The salesperson was new and I educated her on many aspects of exchanging, exchange companies etc...she went and talked to her manager and when they came back they offered me a job....Of course, I did not accept I cannot imagine being a timeshare salesperson when I know about resale. But hey if someone didn't buy in the first place there would be no resales.

I have a weekend diamond package that got cancelled because of covid...I'm thinking I will just let it expire...diamond does sound like much fun.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have done these updates with WM and DRI at which we state up front we are not buying but only here for x, y, and z. They have turned into 60 minute pleasant discussions of favorite Resorts, countries, etc.

We tried this at a Wyndham sales pitch at Bali Hai and it turned into a batle royal. But we stayed the required time and got our $200 American Express Card. Another time at Bali Hai the Sales Person decided fairly quickly we knew more about timeshares than she and turned us over to her boss. He decided pretty quickly decided we knew more than him. So we got out in less than 30 minutes and got our gifts. But we never get angry or upset.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think the last presentation ("sales update") I attended was 8-10 years ago. I just won't do them any longer. Too frustrating and a waste of time. Much better (and accurate!) info on TUG, anyway. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the last presentation ("sales update") I attended was 8-10 years ago. I just won't do them any longer. Too frustrating and a waste of time. Much better (and accurate!) info on TUG, anyway. :)
Who actually goes for the information...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've done a couple, only one time because we "had" to in order to get the guest rate (Marriott Grand Chateau in Las Vegas). In all cases I was ready to get in and out quickly, but dh loves to talk and usually manages to drag them out. :rolleyes: Never again.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In the two cases I mentioned in my prior post I wanted information about the Resort and to see the Units. Both times. one Marriott and one HGVC, I was courteously accommodated...

George

I did this once, many years ago, at Marriott Custom House, while I was there on an exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk