• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looks like I'm going to learn about DX (Destination Exchange)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have a 10k points reservation at Point at Poipu the first week of August that we expect will be cancelled due to Hawaii out-of-state quarantine rules. We'll get all of the 10k points back, but under our current circumstances we can only save about 900 points into 2021. So we will be in a use or lose situation.

At this point it seems to me that the best option for us is to put the points into Destination Exchange for a Tier Credit, which essentially gives us a five-year window to use the points. Seems better to me than dropping the points into II and trying to complete a reservation before Dec 31 of this year. The DRI Destination Exchange Manual says that the Tier Credit program won't start until late 2020 - without providing a specific date for startup. But in email communication with a DRI VC who seems knowledgeable, she says the Tier Credit program is up and running and I can deposit for Tier Credit as soon as I am ready - recognizing that there is a penalty for deposit after October 31.

At first blush, that seems to be a pretty good option. Of course, that actually depends on being able to get something out of DX that I want to use. But I would have five years to work on that.

I've seen some discussion that a motivation for DRI in creating DX was in response to Marriott acquiring Interval International - the relationship with II thus yoked them to a competitor.

But another thing struck me in looking at DX. Namely,that DX looks as if might also be a platform for integrating Embarc into the DRI exchanging platform. It appears that there are some considerations (legal or other) that prevent DRI from adding Embarc (nee Intrawest) to the Club as another "collection". I assume that's the case because otherwise they would have done so, as they have done with all of their other acquisitions. But by setting up DX as essentially another exchange company, they can probably work around what those issues are. And that also gives them a general platform for handling other acquisitions.

An interesting thing I noted in reading through the DX materials was that DRI Club properties would not be available through DX unless the check-in date was less than 10 months out. That, of course, is the same criterion for Club members reserving at Club properties that are outside the member's Home Resort Advantage. Which sets up the question - how will DRI manage inventory between the Club and DX. If a Club member makes a reservation through the Club outside their home collection, there isn't a fee. But if DRI starts bleeding Club inventory to DX, then making that same reservation will incur the DX exchange fee (payable to DRI, of course).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you could save 100% of your points before June 30?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought you could save 100% of your points before June 30?
Yes - but laid against that is the cancellation policy. I can bank 100% of points available up to June 30, but if I wait until then I will be less than 90 days before checkin, so I won't get back all of my points. So I can bank 100% of the points I get back from my reservation, but I don't get back 100% of the points - unless I the quarantine is extended and the resort is closed.

In that case I get back 100% of my points, but I will likely be past the date at which I can bank 100% of my points for the year.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - but laid against that is the cancellation policy. I can bank 100% of points available up to June 30, but if I wait until then I will be less than 90 days before checkin, so I won't get back all of my points. So I can bank 100% of the points I get back from my reservation, but I don't get back 100% of the points - unless I the quarantine is extended and the resort is closed.

In that case I get back 100% of my points, but I will likely be past the date at which I can bank 100% of my points for the year.
Thanks, your explanation is right on point. Thanks you.

eggmansr71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts

Were you able to deposit them. On a call today with DRI the rep mentioned they had implemented a program where you don't lose your points if you were not able to use them.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Were you able to deposit them. On a call today with DRI the rep mentioned they had implemented a program where you don't lose your points if you were not able to use them.
Yes - I banked them into DX.

MidwestFA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI, Hilton Grand Vacations Pacific Palisades
Yes - I banked them into DX.
How did DX points work out for you? Were you able to find something decent to book?
Did you have to pay any annual fees, or any other undisclosed fees? (I understand there's a $149-$159 booking fee for DX)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How did DX points work out for you? Were you able to find something decent to book?
Did you have to pay any annual fees, or any other undisclosed fees? (I understand there's a $149-$159 booking fee for DX)
We used the points to book a 2-bedroom unit in Palm Springs during Presidents Week (3rd week of Feb) this year. The only cost was the exchange fee.

Last edited:

Duh

Reaction score
Just to point out, it's called DEX (Diamond EXchange). ;)