• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott and Third Home

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned about Third Home at a timeshare presentation I went on in Mexico a few years back. It looked intriguing, but I wasn't about to buy a timeshare from the resort. I just read this week from Eric B that he was able to join Third Home using a Vistana week. I got in touch with Third Home, and they accepted my 3 bedroom Marriott Grand Chateau (Las Vegas) week.

If you haven't heard of Third Home, you might want to check it out. They are much more expensive for exchanges than II, but there are some amazing places to stay. We are likely going to stay in a 5 bedroom unit in Lake Tahoe this summer. They just signed an agreement with a yacht company, so they will start to have yacht exchanges. Pretty crazy. (You can hire a chef and captain for the week on the yacht, and you get 5 cabins.) They probably will have very limited availability, but still intriguing.

Most availability is within 6 months. Some places allow you to request a particular week. Within 30 days the key cost goes to 0, but you still have to pay the exchange fee (fees range from $495 for a 1 key home up to $1195 for a home that is 6 keys or higher. Sticker shock when compared to RCI or II, but again, the places available are unique.

Most timeshares in popular destinations seem to earn 1 key per bedroom, and then there is a multiplier of 2 or 3 for peak or super peak weeks. The owner sets up the guest information when someone chooses to stay in your unit. You have to deposit 90 days out to get your keys. You can deposit late, but you only get the keys if someone chooses to reserve the unit.

ThirdHome has a relationship with some of the Marriott Residence Clubs, but doesn't have anything yet with Marriott overall. Thus far, if a "home" owner had a relationship with ThirdHome before a timeshare became an affiliate, ThirdHome honored the prior agreement with the owner. (ThirdHome has a bunch of affiliates that are timeshares - mostly in Mexico.) They have a lot of Grand Luxxe availability.

My Marriott Grand Chateau earns 3 base keys; the unit I deposited was Super Peak, so it earned me 9 keys. They also take Sheraton Broadway Plantation 2 bedroom units that have a base key value of 2, so I imagine they would accept Marriott East Coast beach weeks.

I noticed a Maui Ocean Club week that was deposited - but it didn't say Marriott Maui Ocean Club. The owner had set their own key value for the unit. (That is allowed - you only get the keys if someone accepts the offer.)

Anyway, I thought it would be nice for Marriott owners not familiar with ThirdHome to know there is yet another option for exchanging your weeks.

Here is a link for info: https://exchange.thirdhome.com/

Happy to answer any questions about my experiences so far. I just joined last week and have deposited 2 units with them. Now I'm just having fun dreaming about where I might travel. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of availability. They have thousands of properties, but most have no availability; there were definitely some weeks that I was ready to grab for this summer's travel. and in the near future I'll try out the "request a week" option. I just usually plan vacations a year (or sometimes 2 years) in advance, so I'll have to think differently with ThirdHome exchanges.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Marriott Vacation Club used to have ThirdHome in their Destination Points program but it is no longer there. I never used it because they did not have a good selection of inventory through MVC and, like you said, it was always exchanges available within 6 months. I plan 1-2 years in advance.

dpete

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have found the Third Home program difficult to use. We are deeded Ritz owners and I traded into a home in Napa,but only got it because the home was newly added to Third Home and I was flexible with timing. Trying to use at peak times for top locations has been impossible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had looked at it off and on over time since one of the members here took exception to my statement that none of the exchange options were a value to consider buying in. I've yet to see anything I felt worthwhile from my standpoint but I do feel it was worth looking at on a case by case basis just in case.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
You can deposit a resort confirmation to receive keys immediately. If for whatever reason you decide you do not want to use the keys and your unit has not been booked by a third home user, you can pull the reservation.

With Covid spiking, this may be the year to give third home a test run. I will be depositing a two bedroom for Christmas week 2021. That will give me two years after the check In date to use the keys. The exchange fee is quite high, especially when you combine it with your annual HOA fees. But the accommodations are as someone said earlier, unique.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a last minute 2 bedroom san francisco Ritz Carlton unit available this week. No keys, but the exchange fee was $1195.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There was a last minute 2 bedroom san francisco Ritz Carlton unit available this week. No keys, but the exchange fee was $1195.

That is cheap but it is low season. It is less than the MFs in MVC DPs though So it’s a good deal.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
An update now that I have been using Thirdhome for about a month - there is much winter availability for great places in Mexico likely due to Covid, but it seems ThirdHome has dveloped its relationships with Grand Solmar, Grand Luxxe, and Solaz properties. The residences at Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas have availability in 2 bedroom residences for most of Xmas throught the end of March. The Grand Luxxe properties throughout Mexico have high availability, and random Ritz Carlton weeks keep popping up. (1/9/21 in a 3 bedroom in Aspen shows available right now.) They just started a new relationship with TurnKey properties, making many homes available for members. I was able to book some fun weeks at low key cost using with the new Turnkey properties (staying at a few drive to places in California over the next month: A 3 bedroom house in San Diego proper next week and a 3 bedroom house for New Years week in Pioneertown, CA, about 15 minutes from Joshua Tree. It will be cold, but a nice getaway for the family with lots of hiking. A few places are even pet friendly, which will be nice for us. A 2 bedroom beach condo in Ventura, CA popped up yesterday with full summer availability, so I grabbed a week there as well. The 3 places cost 6 keys total plus a $695 exchange fee for each week (exchange fees are usually higher, but the key value was low, so the exchange fee was low.) I deposited my 3 bedroom Grand Chateau for 9 keys, so all in, it cost me about $4000 for the 3 weeks I will be travelling. I am only able to do the San Diego week because I am working remotely, but the other two weeks are vacation weeks for me (I teach, so can usually only travel summer, winter, and spring breaks.) There are actually a fair number of Marriott Carribean weeks deposited. A few weeks ago, someone deposited their Xmas Westin Harborside Atlantis week. Of course, that was very likely only deposited because of Covid.

They also have a lot of Lake Tahoe and Truckee, CA 3+ bedroom homes popping up recently. Again - might be due to Covid, but there are definitely nice places to stay for skiing or summer hiking. I'm fortunate that I live in CA, so there are a number of places I can book this year that are driving distance. Still debating on whether to book a late June Truckee home...

I deposited several of my non-Marriott weeks that Thirdhome accepted, so I have a fair number of keys now. Hoping (but not optimistic) that I keep getting the kind of exchanges I just made in my first month with Thirdhome. If you aren't sure what to do with a February or March week that you have, you may want to consider trying out Thirdhome. There is no cost to join - just the exchange fees, and as long as you deposit your week 3 months in advance of the travel date, you get your keys for the unit (usually 3 keys per bedroom if you have a very prime week to deposit). (No, I'm not a Thirdhome salesperson LOL - just a longtime Tugger who enjoys trying out new things and sharing my experiences.) If you do join and deposit a week, you can mention Eric B (the poster from the Vistana boards that got me interested in Thirdhome this year). Mentioning someone who referred you gets them a key and I think a $500 credit toward exchange fees. Or, you could mention me. :) Happy to continue to share my experiences or check for any properties if anyone is curious and wants to pm me. I'm definitely finding Thirdhome to be a nice alternative to II and RCI.

dakelly1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your update. I am always looking for opportunities to maximize value. Areas that I like travel to have limited selection with Marriott and II but have numerous availability with ThirdHome. I too have a three bedroom MCV. What weeks do you advise for maximum value with ThirdHome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
An update now that I have been using Thirdhome for about a month - there is much winter availability for great places in Mexico likely due to Covid, but it seems ThirdHome has dveloped its relationships with Grand Solmar, Grand Luxxe, and Solaz properties. The residences at Grand Solmar at Rancho San Lucas have availability in 2 bedroom residences for most of Xmas throught the end of March. The Grand Luxxe properties throughout Mexico have high availability, and random Ritz Carlton weeks keep popping up. (1/9/21 in a 3 bedroom in Aspen shows available right now.) They just started a new relationship with TurnKey properties, making many homes available for members. I was able to book some fun weeks at low key cost using with the new Turnkey properties (staying at a few drive to places in California over the next month: A 3 bedroom house in San Diego proper next week and a 3 bedroom house for New Years week in Pioneertown, CA, about 15 minutes from Joshua Tree. It will be cold, but a nice getaway for the family with lots of hiking. A few places are even pet friendly, which will be nice for us. A 2 bedroom beach condo in Ventura, CA popped up yesterday with full summer availability, so I grabbed a week there as well. The 3 places cost 6 keys total plus a $695 exchange fee for each week (exchange fees are usually higher, but the key value was low, so the exchange fee was low.) I deposited my 3 bedroom Grand Chateau for 9 keys, so all in, it cost me about $4000 for the 3 weeks I will be travelling. I am only able to do the San Diego week because I am working remotely, but the other two weeks are vacation weeks for me (I teach, so can usually only travel summer, winter, and spring breaks.) There are actually a fair number of Marriott Carribean weeks deposited. A few weeks ago, someone deposited their Xmas Westin Harborside Atlantis week. Of course, that was very likely only deposited because of Covid.

They also have a lot of Lake Tahoe and Truckee, CA 3+ bedroom homes popping up recently. Again - might be due to Covid, but there are definitely nice places to stay for skiing or summer hiking. I'm fortunate that I live in CA, so there are a number of places I can book this year that are driving distance. Still debating on whether to book a late June Truckee home...

I deposited several of my non-Marriott weeks that Thirdhome accepted, so I have a fair number of keys now. Hoping (but not optimistic) that I keep getting the kind of exchanges I just made in my first month with Thirdhome. If you aren't sure what to do with a February or March week that you have, you may want to consider trying out Thirdhome. There is no cost to join - just the exchange fees, and as long as you deposit your week 3 months in advance of the travel date, you get your keys for the unit (usually 3 keys per bedroom if you have a very prime week to deposit). (No, I'm not a Thirdhome salesperson LOL - just a longtime Tugger who enjoys trying out new things and sharing my experiences.) If you do join and deposit a week, you can mention Eric B (the poster from the Vistana boards that got me interested in Thirdhome this year). Mentioning someone who referred you gets them a key and I think a $500 credit toward exchange fees. Or, you could mention me. :) Happy to continue to share my experiences or check for any properties if anyone is curious and wants to pm me. I'm definitely finding Thirdhome to be a nice alternative to II and RCI.
FYI I have exchanged my Royal Resorts units into the Grand Luxxe through II 5 times. The exchange rate is much less!

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
It’s me again. I’m very intrigued by this discussion but I don’t understand how the word key is being used. It’s ok if you tell me I probably shouldn’t be in the thread. Thanks in advance for your time explaining.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s me again. I’m very intrigued by this discussion but I don’t understand how the word key is being used. It’s ok if you tell me I probably shouldn’t be in the thread. Thanks in advance for your time explaining.
Thirdhome uses a system of "keys" for deposits and reservations. A deposit is typically worth anywhere from 1 to 9 keys for a timeshare unit (sometimes more for Hawaii units). For desirable and expensive locations like Lake Tahoe, Park City, East or West Coast Beaches, Sedona, Scottsdale, Palm Springs, Las Vegas etc., it is usually 1 key per bedroom, and then that can be multiplied by 2 for high value weeks or multiplied by 3 for "super prime" weeks (Xmas, New years, July 4 - some other weeks depending on location). My Marriott Grand Chateau is a 3 bedroom unit. I deposited a July 4 week, and was given a multiplier of 3, so I "earned" 9 keys for that deposit. I reserved a San Diego 3 bedroom house for next week. I think the key value was 2. The exchange cost was $695 for a key value of 2. Thirdhome has a fair number of 2 bedroom prime season Cabo, Nuevo Vallarta, and Riviera Maya weeks that "cost" 4 or 6 keys depending on the week. The exchange fees for those weeks are higher because the key cost is higher. I think the highest exchange fee is $1195 - but that is for a larger home (a 4 bedroom house might "cost" 12 keys for super prime season, and the exchange fee for a 12 key reservation is $1195.)

What's been fun for me with Thirdhome is looking at some of the 4 and 5 bedroom homes and thinking of travelling with another family and sharing the house with them. Many of the homes in Mexico have their own pool and beach, and are part of a an enclosed community. There are also many U.S. estate homes in the system. Of course, availability is very unpredictable. The new TurnKey partnership has made finding a place to reserve much easier for me. There was a Montecito, CA 4 bedroom beach house that came up with summer availability, but it was 12 or 15 keys, and I didn't want to use up so many keys on a single reservation at this point. They also have some yachts with 4 to 6 cabins that randomly come up with availability. Mostly non-summer from what I've seen so far, but about once a week, a yacht reservation appears and is taken up immediately.

For people who enjoy the search and dreaming of places to go, it's a fun alternative to Interval International because the places are very different from timeshares. It's definitely going to change up how I travel a bit over the next few years - staying in homes rather than timeshares for three of my travelling weeks this year.

I am actually hoping Thirdhome gets more traction on TUG so that people might start sharing their experiences (and sightings!) with the system.

NOLA47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations and Escapes to the Shores Orange Beach
Chemteach, thank you so much. This really is a neat concept. I will stay connected so that I can follow your and others‘ adventures. Thank you so much for your explanation.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this chemteach. Definitely sounds interesting to me. I’m emailing with one of their salespeople.

If you are willing to look, what kind of availability do you see for Tahoe week between Christmas and New Years? Im wondering if there is a lot of availability/selection for nice places during prime season with the last minute bookings.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to look, what kind of availability do you see for Tahoe week between Christmas and New Years? Im wondering if there is a lot of availability/selection for nice places during prime season with the last minute bookings.

The Tahoe residences look to be all booked for this year Xmas/New Years - but they get random new availability each day for different places.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for checking chemteach. appreciate it.

I ended up signing up and now have access.
The properties look pretty amazing.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I talked with one of their people today but she kind of implied that as an affiliate member we were not going to be treated the same as a “whole ownership“ person. I will wait to see what the detailed email she sends me says.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked with one of their people today but she kind of implied that as an affiliate member we were not going to be treated the same as a “whole ownership“ person. I will wait to see what the detailed email she sends me says.
What timeshare were you using? I'm wondering how the affiliate programs work. I use my own timeshare, so I don't think I'm considered to be part of the affiliate program.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What timeshare were you using? I'm wondering how the affiliate programs work. I use my own timeshare, so I don't think I'm considered to be part of the affiliate program.
I offered either Harborside or WSJ pool villa