• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Island Charter Club construction

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need insight--March of 2019 I booked a 2 bedroom at Charter Club for this September. We were so excited about our first stay since it's talked so highly on TUG.
However, I was notified by RCI this May 2020 about work on the balconies and we decided hey we can deal with that although I didn't realize it was going to be NO USE AT ALL of the balcony and views are partially blocked off. Yesterday I was notified by the resort that the week we will be there, they will be waterproofing the walkways on the building we are assigned--north building 8th floor. This means that you cannot leave or come back at all from 8:30am-5:00pm for minimum of 3 days. They have offered to move us to another room in the South building on the 3rd floor--but again no access to balcony and view partially obstructed. We will be traveling with a 1 year old and not having access to our room for the whole day is not really a good option. What would you do? She made it sound like the Southside building is a step down? I've never been there so not sure what to expect. UGH planning 1 1/2 years out is now not sounding so great!!
What would you do, I'm guessing take whatever we can get and move on?? Not that big a deal? Just frustrated.....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello,
I need insight--March of 2019 I booked a 2 bedroom at Charter Club for this September. We were so excited about our first stay since it's talked so highly on TUG.
However, I was notified by RCI this May 2020 about work on the balconies and we decided hey we can deal with that although I didn't realize it was going to be NO USE AT ALL of the balcony and views are partially blocked off. Yesterday I was notified by the resort that the week we will be there, they will be waterproofing the walkways on the building we are assigned--north building 8th floor. This means that you cannot leave or come back at all from 8:30am-5:00pm for minimum of 3 days. They have offered to move us to another room in the South building on the 3rd floor--but again no access to balcony and view partially obstructed. We will be traveling with a 1 year old and not having access to our room for the whole day is not really a good option. What would you do? She made it sound like the Southside building is a step down? I've never been there so not sure what to expect. UGH planning 1 1/2 years out is now not sounding so great!!
What would you do, I'm guessing take whatever we can get and move on?? Not that big a deal? Just frustrated.....
Step down or not with a little one access to you room is a must. I would switch.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I concur w-Panina. IIRC, the difference is not that significant.
What's important is that your at the beach. Yeah!

I like Marco so much, I may buy a TS there or Eagles Nest.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there in May and the noise was awful. No access to balcony and not able to go in or out all day would be a deal killer for me

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We stayed in the South building on the 4th floor in May. It was fine as far as view. I would have preferred the North but we were on RCI exchange. We had the noise and we dealt with it. Without a balcony though, I would cancel it. We had dinner almost every night on the balcony by either cooking or getting takeout from local places across the street.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The only difference between the buildings is the view. The South building is set back a bit further, so the North building blocks part of the view. You still have a straight-on view of the Gulf, but not a full 180 degree view like you do from the North building.

I have no first-hand info as to how the construction will be. We will be there at the end of December, so hoping they stay on schedule and finish the first week of December.

Kurt

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
So many better choices - go somewhere else.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
So many better choices - go somewhere else.
Do you have an II account? Right now there are Sept weeks available at the Marriott on Marco.
Aug 23 2020 - Aug 30 2020
icon_unit.gif
Sep 05 2020 - Sep 12 2020
icon_unit.gif
Sep 13 2020 - Sep 20 2020
icon_unit.gif
Sep 25 2020 - Oct 02 2020
icon_unit.gif

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have II and pretty locked into going at this time. I imagine we'll just be put in the other building and deal with it. I'm surprised but Husband wants to tough it out. Hopefully it won't still be as noisy as previously reported :cry:.

BTW got another email from RCI today saying:
"Minor (minor to them!) construction or remodeling may disturb guests from August 22, 2020 to September 26, 2020. Resort will be waterproofing walkways throughout the resort until end of Sept. 2020. and Should you decide to cancel your stay, our standard cancellation guidelines will apply.
I'm going to keep looking to see if anything else pops us but probably won't!
Thank you for all your input!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I don't have II and pretty locked into going at this time. I imagine we'll just be put in the other building and deal with it. I'm surprised but Husband wants to tough it out. Hopefully it won't still be as noisy as previously reported :cry:.

BTW got another email from RCI today saying:
"Minor (minor to them!) construction or remodeling may disturb guests from August 22, 2020 to September 26, 2020. Resort will be waterproofing walkways throughout the resort until end of Sept. 2020. and Should you decide to cancel your stay, our standard cancellation guidelines will apply.
I'm going to keep looking to see if anything else pops us but probably won't!
Thank you for all your input!

Maybe try the RCI upgrades and exchanges for $49. List a bunch of other resorts and you only get charged if it goes through. We toughed it out and did fine. If I didn't have a balcony, I probably would have gone somewhere else though. They take a 1 hour lunch break every day so your room gets quiet. We sit on the beach rather than the pool so the noise didn't bother us. We were lucky because it was Memorial weekend so it gave us one extra day of quiet.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I got the notice,three days before check in, I called rci. Agent said I could cancel or I could go and if it was too noisy, I could call rci and see what they would do for me, Well I did call rci and was told I was warned and I chose to go, so I was out of luck.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My own personal opinion? If Florida doesn't have Covad-19 well under control by September then I am not sure you would really want to go there anyways.......

Right now things are very bad and continuing to get worse in Florida, Texas, and Arizona (as well as other states).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Aren't all the HGVC resorts on Marco beach in RCI? If so, RCI should be able to get you somewhere else. It's surely not full here.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Aren't all the HGVC resorts on Marco beach in RCI? If so, RCI should be able to get you somewhere else. It's surely not full here.
I wouldn't bet on it. Those are extremely popular resorts, and even as HGVC owners it rare to find availability. Most owners use their weeks, and if they don't, I would think it would be a better deal to turn those weeks back to HGVC for points vs. deposit them with RCI. Plus, at least some of those resorts are dually affiliated with II, so they have that option as well.

Kurt

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Charter is RCI only but the others are dual and are likely found in II.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes they are all in RCI ... I think with the way things are going there will be some Sept cancellations. I see more Marco availability on both RCI and II then I normally do when I have been searching

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked to be switched wnd rci said no availability

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Charter is RCI only but the others are dual and are likely found in II.
Wrong - Club Regency is not II, only RCI. That is why I mentioned RCI as an option to get somewhere else rather than II.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Hard to believe. Maybe I should try to rent my week 40 at Club Regency!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
vacation village parkway and links golf and raquet
I am unsure of when you are looking to go but, we were there in early July and had no problems with construction. We were given an ocean front room and it was spectacular. if you are unsure whether you want go to this resort I would cancel (if you can via RCI covid guidelines) and start a request for other resorts. If you had the trading power to get in you have the trading power to get to other resorts... Try online chat and see if they will cancel without you losing fees.....

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am unsure of when you are looking to go but, we were there in early July and had no problems with construction. We were given an ocean front room and it was spectacular. if you are unsure whether you want go to this resort I would cancel (if you can via RCI covid guidelines) and start a request for other resorts. If you had the trading power to get in you have the trading power to get to other resorts... Try online chat and see if they will cancel without you losing fees.....
I asked to be switched in May when I was told three days before check in about the construction. since I had already switched my plane tickets, I went, but did not enjoy the stay. very nice that you didn't have people with jackhammers outside your door, consider yourself lucky.