• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Existing MVCI owner and bought a 2nd t/s through DRI

stars4sky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Grand Chateau
I thought I knew better!

I just bought my 2nd timeshare Monday June 8th through DRI, which I think was way misrepresented after reading fine print and now I want to rescind. How long is the rescission process after sending the letter and I don’t have that fax number only a mailing letter. I would like to fax and mail my rescission letter. I would also be in Vegas this week and I’d like to go to their office if they give me a hard time lol.

My background, single mom but loves to travel the world and have used my timeshare on many places overseas using grand chateau t/s while I was married. I thought this 7500pts DRI would be good addition to Marriott time share for flexibility but now I see I paid/financed $17k for 7500pts every odd yrs INSTEAD of every year which I though I would get.

they also gave me freebies and a tablet that doesn’t work. Do I need to return those first? I couldn’t get in touch with anyone anymore after I signed up, not sure if it’s limited office hours due to virus.
is there a good rescission format letter out there? could it be handwritten so I can just mail it out right away without looking for a printer? Thanks for any help!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I thought I knew better!

I just bought my 2nd timeshare Monday June 8th through DRI, which I think was way misrepresented after reading fine print and now I want to rescind. How long is the rescission process after sending the letter and I don’t have that fax number only a mailing letter. I would like to fax and mail my rescission letter. I would also be in Vegas this week and I’d like to go to their office if they give me a hard time lol.

My background, single mom but loves to travel the world and have used my timeshare on many places overseas using grand chateau t/s while I was married. I thought this 7500pts DRI would be good addition to Marriott time share for flexibility but now I see I paid/financed $17k for 7500pts every odd yrs INSTEAD of every year which I though I would get.

they also gave me freebies and a tablet that doesn’t work. Do I need to return those first? I couldn’t get in touch with anyone anymore after I signed up, not sure if it’s limited office hours due to virus.
is there a good rescission format letter out there? could it be handwritten so I can just mail it out right away without looking for a printer? Thanks for any help!
I replied here

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Time is of the essence. Mail a letter tomorrow. Send certified mail and get a receipt of mailing. You can then fax as well if you want. It’s the date of mailing that’s critical. Do not just Put into mailbox.
you must have proof of mailing.
A hand written letter is fine. Do not argue or say you didn’t get what they said, not every year points, etc. Just say you want to rescind. But you need to make a copy.
You should also send back all materials provided to you-even if it costs $50 to send. You want no reason for them to say you didn’t comply with some rule. It’s likely fine to send the materials in a different box via ups etc. just note in your letter that you’re sending all materials in a separate package. And get a receipt. Or mail all together with letter on top.
Do NOT go back to office under any circumstances. That will only result in an opportunity for them to try to change your mind and say you came back later to renegotiate.

Last edited:

stars4sky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Grand Chateau
Time is of the essence. Mail a letter tomorrow. Send certified mail and get a receipt of mailing. You can then fax as well if you want. It’s the date of mailing that’s critical. Do not just Put into mailbox.
you must have proof of mailing.
A hand written letter is fine. Do not argue or say you didn’t get what they said, not every year points, etc. Just say you want to rescind. But you need to make a copy.
You should also send back all materials provided to you-even if it costs $50 to send. You want no reason for them to say you didn’t comply with some rule. It’s likely fine to send the materials in a different box via ups etc. just note in your letter that you’re sending all materials in a separate package. And get a receipt. Or mail all together with letter on top.
Do NOT go back to office under any circumstances. That will only result in an opportunity for them to try to change your mind and say you came back later to renegotiate.

I purchased in AZ, and accdg to contract has 10d to rescind. US post offices closed on Saturday here in Sedona. Thinking of sending through UPS/Fedex before heading out to Vegas. Where should I drop off the worthless tablet that they gave and other freebie certificates for making the purchase? I’m thinking of giving it to concierge or lobby of their sister resort where I’m staying or dropping it off at the hotel lobby of where the actual t/s preview was. I really hope not in the sales office coz I’d dread to see them again. Haha

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I purchased in AZ, and accdg to contract has 10d to rescind. US post offices closed on Saturday here in Sedona. Thinking of sending through UPS/Fedex before heading out to Vegas. Where should I drop off the worthless tablet that they gave and other freebie certificates for making the purchase? I’m thinking of giving it to concierge or lobby of their sister resort where I’m staying or dropping it off at the hotel lobby of where the actual t/s preview was. I really hope not in the sales office coz I’d dread to see them again. Haha
Do not use fedex or UPS. That is not a definitive legal substitute for USPS certified.

You can mail the certificates back with the rescission letter. You can also write “tablet to be sent under separate cover, if requested.”

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not use fedex or UPS. That is not a definitive legal substitute for USPS certified.

You can mail the certificates back with the rescission letter. You can also write “tablet to be sent under separate cover, if requested.”
Suggestion only...Please fellow this Tugger advise.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some states laws specify “mail” or usps and not other methods. However, if they actually receive the notice Before 10 days then method of delivery is likely irrelevant. You can send back other materials via ups etc.
don’t give to concierge. You need a receipt of mailing. I’d send Documents back today via 2day ups/FedEx with a Copy of rescission letter and then also mail just the Original letter via certified on Monday and keep a copy for you. Dropping at lobby is not correct return procedure. you only get These 10 days to get it correct. Dropping Documents/tablet at timeshare office only if they give receipt. Might not give you a receipt and say you have to meet with office manager etc. so sending ups is better even if it costs $50. Again pleased follow up and send another letter certified mail on Monday.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Concur. But I was saying if they have actual Verified receipt Of delivery within 10 days. One could walk it in as well. However, That is why I said She still needs to mail USPS On monday and get A receipt. But might as well send a letter with docs today as well.
again, 10 days to get it Perfect and correct

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have said, use USPS certified mail and retain your postmarked mailing receipts.

Be sure that if anyone signed the purchase contract that they also sign the rescission letter.

They have NO obligation to notify you that they received your rescission paperwork, but they do HAVE to cancel your contract.

Be patient. Refund may take up to 45 days.

If you decide to buy again then please be sure to buy resale. It will save you thousands of hard earned money!

stars4sky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Grand Chateau
I replied here

This is what rescission provision looks like and number 4 is quite confusing regarding whats prohibited within 10 days. Thank you!

Attachments

• FE5127FA-DE3B-4259-96C6-C571A36784EE.jpeg
    FE5127FA-DE3B-4259-96C6-C571A36784EE.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 16

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what rescission provision looks like and number 4 is quite confusing regarding whats prohibited within 10 days. Thank you!
Number 4 means that the deed transfer and closing cant be finalized until 10 days after your signature. After reading this, USPS certified is fine. It will only cost $5-6. USPS, as a federal agency, is the gold standard.

FedEx and UPS, while great private companies, don’t have the same authority and perception of unbiasedness in court as private entities.

fedex and UPS workers are known to backdate, especially given a “gift”.
https://www.sdttc.com/content/ttc/en/tax-collection/secured-property-taxes/postmark-mistakes.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/FedEx/comments/acktux
one almost never hears of a USPS backdating because said USPS worker could get fired, lose his/her pension, and be civilly or criminally charged with falsifying federal records.

stars4sky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Grand Chateau
Thank you and grateful for all your tips. It took me almost 3 hours just to return the tablet and other stuff to the hotel where sales office was.

11-12 check out of hotel drafted letter while girls went to activity center. Will drive to Vegas when this is done.
12 drove to preview hotel but there was traffic on Sedona roundabout for about 30 minutes.
1230-1pm turned around and drove to other DRI resorts to try to return the gifts but they said I have to return to original sales center
1-2 time it took me drive backroads to get to hotel and dropped it off at concierge in the lobby with a manager (fr Scottsdale) to avoid sales center. I made him sign and acknowledge receipt of items. I overheard another lady say, we can’t accept it here it needs to be returned to sales center. I skedaddled my way out of there fast because I don’t want to go back to sales center and be convinced while my girls were waiting for me.
3 pm got out of Sedona and finally making our way to Vegas.

lesson learned: Big time, energy and emotional investment that will be wasted. i already spent 5 hours on sales presentation, I feel like I burned 24 hours of time and energy getting back out of it. And maybe more as I send my certified mail, call my CC company, and wait for my refund. Never again. . Only well researched t/s resales from now on.

Reactions: RX8

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's 24 hours well spent. Be sure to send rescission letter certified mail tomorrow.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
And I suggest you think about joining TUG as a member. As you've just learned, it's a community of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people and probably the best deal in the timeshare world.

stars4sky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Grand Chateau
And I suggest you think about joining TUG as a member. As you've just learned, it's a community of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people and probably the best deal in the timeshare world.
I already joined and paid for it 2 days ago tried to create a new username but I got locked out of it so I have Tu use this guest account ☺️♀️

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

no need to reregister.

thank you for supporting the site!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I already joined and paid for it 2 days ago tried to create a new username but I got locked out of it so I have Tu use this guest account ☺‍♀
Congrats! Don’t feel bad. Many of us bought developer units and never had the knowledge to rescind. Lesson learned, always buy resale!!

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I already joined and paid for it 2 days ago tried to create a new username but I got locked out of it so I have Tu use this guest account ☺‍♀
Please check your Conversations (click Bell icon in blue bar near top of page) for a private message to help you with this situation.