• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Oak for first week in August

J-PAC

Reaction score
Is anyone looking to cancel their reservation?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have seen a fair amount of availability there, but not in 2020 for more than 7 days out. Twice I have seen something of interest to me, but it was a ghost or the system would not let me grab it before it disappeared. I am suspicious if the system really lets inventory further than 7 days out become available.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
So such inventory is either 1) really there, 2) a temporal distortion, or 3) they have some system approach to recapturing it quickly for the developer. (It has been a ghost any time I have tried to book it.)

Has anyone actually captured Ocean Oak 2020 inventory more than 7 days out in recent weeks?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So .... you're the reason it wasn't there when I tried to click through. Congrats!

I was able to get a July 4th week regular 2BR last week. Checking constantly for an upgrade....

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just a suggestion -- we have a "Sightings" forum that was created to post availability sightings like this. It is a private board open to TUG members only (a perk for becoming a member).

Kurt

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion -- we have a "Sightings" forum that was created to post availability sightings like this. It is a private board open to TUG members only (a perk for becoming a member).

Kurt

my bad. Will stop posting here...

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I have a two week reservation in a 2 BR Oceanfront from 8/1-8/15. My wife's work is requiring a 14 day Self-Quarantine if we go to SC. So not sure what we are going to do as she would have to use 20+ days of PTO to take 2 weeks off for this trip.

A 19,200 point reservation with 2019 points I was counting on using as I already canceled 2 other trips in 2020. If I can even cancel then I will have 28,800 saved till next year plus my full points from this year, and full points for next year. So saving 2020 points will give me almost a 100k HGVC for 2021. That doesn't even include my Vistana ownership which I have banked points already into 2021.

Seriously thinking of taking the kids and going to HHI for 2 weeks without my wife or better yet 2 weeks to HHI by myself. :)
So many points we're going to need to use next year and possibly 2022 due to the Pandemic.

Seems I'm like so many other people and totally S.O.L. :poop:

Any thoughts?

J-PAC

Reaction score
@LDS

We are here now and it's a bit more crowded now than it was in June but still manageable. If you want to shorten your trip let me know. Our availability in August is limited to that small window and we are booking with bonus points that expire on the 24th of July.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
A 19,200 point reservation with 2019 points I was counting on using as I already canceled 2 other trips in 2020.

I would recommend that you call HGVC before canceling your reservation (if that is your decision). HGVC did allow 2019 points to be saved into 2020 but I don't know if they would still allow this per the wording of that announcement:

Previously Saved Points: We understand your available window to use Saved Points has been shortened. As a result, Points saved into 2020 have been extended through 2021. This adjustment was completed in April 2020.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
@LDS

We are here now and it's a bit more crowded now than it was in June but still manageable. If you want to shorten your trip let me know. Our availability in August is limited to that small window and we are booking with bonus points that expire on the 24th of July.

I'll let you know before I make a decision on cancellation

I would recommend that you call HGVC before canceling your reservation (if that is your decision). HGVC did allow 2019 points to be saved into 2020 but I don't know if they would still allow this per the wording of that announcement:

I will have to call as it's subject to the cancellation policy. I guess I could look at moving it to another period at another resort and cancel if I need to do it if HGVC isn't flexible.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I'll let you know before I make a decision on cancellation

I will have to call as it's subject to the cancellation policy. I guess I could look at moving it to another period at another resort and cancel if I need to do it if HGVC isn't flexible.

I would love to know this, too, please. I potentially may have the same situation this fall. I have a booking for a 1-bdrm at HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation Resort in Florida for 12 nights starting December 1st. If the border is still not open or Covid-19 has not settled down, I may have to cancel it.

It is typically very hard to book a unit here and I have been trying for a couple of years. I lucked into it just before the lockdown went into effect in March. I used 2020 saved points (from 2019) to book it. My remaining saved points have already been moved by HGVC to 2021, as previously announced.

I would hope that if I cancel, these points would also qualify for that same treatment. I will be interested to hear if HGVC has contemplated this type of situation and how they are officially planning to deal with it. We still have all of our regular 2020 Club points, too, which I will pay to save to 2021, if HGVC doesn't decide to do it for us.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I have a two week reservation in a 2 BR Oceanfront from 8/1-8/15. My wife's work is requiring a 14 day Self-Quarantine if we go to SC. So not sure what we are going to do as she would have to use 20+ days of PTO to take 2 weeks off for this trip.
Honestly, I assume that you know you have a sweet reservation in an OF at one of our favorite resorts. I am sure that you would hate to give that one up. Atleast, I know that I would. Luckily we were able to make our yearly family trip to Ocean Oak in early June. I am glad that I got that one in. I thought that the resort did an excellent job of cleaning the room, and doing their best to maintain social distancing. I thought the guest could do a much better job in wearing masks.

We have been in Breckenridge now for over a week, and I also feel that everyone here is doing their part. Breckenridge does have a face-covering mask rule which includes all public spaces (including outside in the town). Excellent compliance by everyone.

The problem that I see is if you release your reservation and are able to push those points into 2021, how are you going to be able to utilize your points. Right now, the big unknown is what the future holds. I know that I have about 5 weeks of ski reservations starting New Years Week this year and into 2021. If those trips don't happen because of this pandemic, I know that I will be pushing a lot of points forward also. So far, I have only lost one reservation during late March 2020 at Valdoro. We did hate to cancel that one because it was the only one this past season with the grandson.

Good luck on whatever you decided.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Honestly, I assume that you know you have a sweet reservation in an OF at one of our favorite resorts. I am sure that you would hate to give that one up. Atleast, I know that I would. Luckily we were able to make our yearly family trip to Ocean Oak in early June. I am glad that I got that one in. I thought that the resort did an excellent job of cleaning the room, and doing their best to maintain social distancing. I thought the guest could do a much better job in wearing masks.

Yeah I know I have a great reservation as I started booking it November 1st as soon as I could book 3 nights, and walked it until I had 16 nights booked. Original plan was to have a 9 night stay from Friday to the following Sunday, but I didn't know which week. My oldest daughter was supposed to go to Band Camp either the first or second week of August. Then everything changed in March and I just left the 16 days figuring it would all settle down. Also in the meantime my daughter's band camp was cancelled.

So instead of flying like we normally would we decided we would drive and stay the entire 2 weeks, and I just modified the reservation to drop the first Friday and last Saturday. We normally would have completed 2 or 3 trips by August so we wouldn't have kept both weeks. So I guess in that regard having the amount of points we have paid off as we were able to hold a 19k HGVC reservation.
Downside is if we decide to cancel I have no reservations for 2020 and not sure we would go anywhere this year.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@ids337, I am doing the same thing next year. I actually have more ski reservations than what I stated but am waiting to decide later how this pandemic all plays out. As any TUGGER should know it is best to make the reservation and then adjust/modify or cancel later.

We did fly to Colorado on SW and felt actually very good about the experience. But, each person needs to decide what they are comfortable with during these times.