• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When will you feel good about travel again

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Now that we are starting to see places opening and travel this summer is being offered in somewhat limited form. How do you feel about traveling? Personally, I don’t want to travel too far from home right now. We have moved our vacations to next year with exception of two weeks in the fall to drivable destinations in Florida.
We have been following CDC guidelines and mostly staying home.
Just curious of how other TUG members are coping and planning future vacations.
Silentg

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in previous posts I already traveled (mid may). And traveled by air. My comfort level was high but everyone has different thresholds on this.

One thing that was eye-opening to me: I traveled from a very high -restriction / mask mandatory area to a destination that was low-restriction/masks not required. The societal differences were stark in terms of how people behaved in general and their interactions w/each other. If I was someone who was anxious about C19, where I traveled to would have upped the anxiety b/c human behavior was so different there (vs where I live).

I hope that makes sense.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It will all depend on the area and resort traveled to. We are actually going to our timeshare week in a week. The resort is all separate entrances. It is very rural and we hike and bike. We rarely see anyone, It will depend on occupancy as to whether I use the hot tubs, pools, and grills. We will take all food so will be able to maintain almost a complete quarantine. My big question is whether I feel comfortable with a beer at one of my favorite breweries.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not fully traveling until there is a functioning vaccine. There will be some road trips, but the risk of faraway quarantine (or illness) will keep us close (say within a days' drive) for the time being. We do have a transatlantic cruise on deposit, but doubt strongly that it will happen.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
We are hoping that in November, when we take three weeks for vacation in Florida that we will feel comfortable with travel. That will all depend if there is a second wave and if there are no travel restrictions or 14 day quarantine in effect.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally comfortable with traveling by car right now. I've never enjoyed flying and don't know when I'll feel like giving that another go.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Commander in Chief stated no hotel, timeshare or cruise travel for 2020;
not even to the Manor Club in Williamsburg.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Just finished booking our flight to Molokai for my two week vacation starting 06-27-20. I will be traveling to the other islands here after that for work.

geekette

Reaction score
In a few weeks. Going to visit a friend a few states away. We will be building mound-style veg garden. I will be on the road as soon as seedlings are big and strong, ready to get planted. She has clearing going on right now.

Probably public restrooms are my biggest risk. Neither of us has much been around people, plus, it'll be living at a camp, so almost all outdoors. Safe and peaceful.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leaving Friday for 2 weeks at a MVC in Orlando-had AC and extra exchange week to use so why not? Taking food (I did a big grocery shop recently and we decided to do this Saturday), driving straight through. End of month we are doing South Dakota/Mount Rushmore/Badlands trip. Have to break in my new hiking shoes in Florida now instead of at home :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Probably not fully traveling until there is a functioning vaccine. There will be some road trips, but the risk of faraway quarantine (or illness) will keep us close (say within a days' drive) for the time being. We do have a transatlantic cruise on deposit, but doubt strongly that it will happen.
This is how dh feels. He doesn't even want to take any road trips until then. Maybe he'll change his mind as time goes on, but I doubt it. We're both in that age range that can be problematic and have other health issues as well.

I'm hoping to get to Maui in March, 2021. Dd and I have a river cruise on the Rhine planned. We were supposed to go May 2021, but we pushed it to May, 2022. Both of us felt a bit more comfortable with that date.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Just finished booking our flight to Molokai for my two week vacation starting 06-27-20. I will be traveling to the other islands here after that for work.
Jeff, that's basically going from one county to another. :D Of course the fact that you have to get on an airplane to do that travel makes it a bit different than for most of us.

geekette

Reaction score
Leaving Friday for 2 weeks at a MVC in Orlando-had AC and extra exchange week to use so why not? Taking food (I did a big grocery shop recently and we decided to do this Saturday), driving straight through. End of month we are doing South Dakota/Mount Rushmore/Badlands trip. Have to break in my new hiking shoes in Florida now instead of at home :)
ooooh, yeah, great plans with 2 very different backdrops!

Good luck on hiking boot break in!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to Hilton Head July 4th week and then two weeks later in the month. No reservations at all. I'm trying to decide whether to drive or fly for the second part of the trip.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
By car yes, air...not yet. Our first flight is scheduled for the end of September for a wedding in upstate NY. Trying to decide if we are going to travel at all this summer. If we do it will be in August right before school starts, somewhere within driving distance and where we can do outdoor activities. I will sanitize the hell out of the timeshare/hotel (although I did this before as well...LOL!) Fortunately I live where I can go to the beach so traveling is not priority at this time.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Wdw driving Early aug if covid is low as projected. Keys early dec driving if no covid concerns. Maube Europe next summer if covid treatment/vaccine. Will think hard before cruising again. I want to be near a hospital even if it’s in a foreign country. Got off a boat that had covid 2 weeks later.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to travel, and would consider traveling (even though we are totally isolated since March, ordering food etc) if we could find a good deal in a more isolated area. It would be such a waste to go somewhere with beautiful amenities I won't feel comfortable using....but a house on an isolated beach (i.e. not Hilton Head or Clearwater, etc) or a private cabin in the mountains (not Wyndham in the Smokies or somewhere busy). I'd want somewhere with basically no community gathering spots (somewhere private to bike, hike, walk & relax...….kinda like home, LOL....but a change of scenery)

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On May 28 I flew a one hour Southwest flight to San Jose. Airports on both ends were like Ghost towns. Did carry-on only. 35 passengers on the plane. Out of respect for my sister, who picked me up, I wore two layers of clothes. Stripped off outer layer at curb, along with shoes and socks. Put those in her trunk. Slipped on flip flops and a mask. Used sanitizer on my hands, and we were on our way to her home. Once there, we didn't touch, no masks. Both of us were fine with that. A few days later, good friend picked me up and took me to her house. No masks. Finally, daughter came there with her two boys, stayed for lunch. Now at DD. Helping with boys so she can work. 2 days of homeschooling and I'm exhausted. Next stop, in a few days, grand-daughter 's house to dog-sit. No masks required there. Not in a hurry to return home.

If you haven't guessed, I'm on the low end of scale when it comes to Covid concern. I won't tell you what you should do -- if you will grant the same to me.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff, that's basically going from one county to another. :D Of course the fact that you have to get on an airplane to do that travel makes it a bit different than for most of us.

Yes, you’re right, if I didn’t have to get on a plane I wouldn’t have posted.:)

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Just left on our one month social distancing with new scenery tour. Driving and staying in timeshares. Plan to just hang out and cook in.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We are driving to/from our second home in Lake Tahoe and may stay there for a few weeks this summer if not rented (costs nothing extra to stay there so the price is right.)

No air trips, timeshares or hotels planned until summer 2021. Tempted to travel by air with our travel credits and certificates but wondering if the anxiety, precautions and lack of open businesses and activities would overshadow relaxation and fun.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Flew from Ohio to Florida last weekend for some seaplane flying. Southwest flights about 30%-50% Full with everyone wearing masks.
Going to San Antonio next week for four days.
Other than following CDC recommendations, no difference for me.

Cheers

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At first we were on the fence about keeping our next Disney trip/really thought of cancelling. Now we are leaning more towards going.

We are still not sure if we will drive or fly. We have had our air booked going down before everything shut down. We are starting to think we will fly - might be the cleanest now/less people than ever before. But who knows by October. I remember after 9/11 thinking - it was probably the safest time to fly.

Having said that, we will take extra precautions regardless of how relaxed/restrictions are. We are ready to get out - enjoy the resort - maybe pool if open and we feel comfortable/not crowded. If no pool - relax by the pool with a drink. Many times the pool water is not too warm for me to go in - so no issue there for me if I don't go in. Hubby can handle it better :)

We had already cancelled early March our end of March Disney reservation before they shut down. We also cancelled early March - before final payment due - our June Alaska cruise tour (of course this all got shut down too) - if this one needs/needed to be cancelled, it can always be cancelled. I think we are good though.

We are actually discussing taking a quick few days drive somewhere middle of summer - getting brave.