• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Resorts to pay $3.5 M for misleading marketing, sales tactics

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Attorney General Becerra and San Diego District Attorney Stephan have obtained up to $3,550,000 in restitution for consumers harmed by Welk Resort’s “misleading marketing and sales tactics,” according to a press release from the California AG’s office on Wednesday.

The settlement provides victims with the largest consumer relief package ever obtained by California for violations of California’s Timeshare Law.

Undercover operations conducted with assistance of the California Department of Consumer Affairs revealed that Welk was making false statements and misrepresentations in high-pressure sales presentations at its resort in Escondido, California.

That program allows consumers who previously submitted a written complaint with the option to (1) rescind their timeshare purchase agreement with Welk and obtain a full or partial refund or, (2) retain their timeshare interest and instead obtain restitution in the form of cash, a resort credit, or additional timeshare points;

Welk customers who have questions about the settlement or regarding their eligibility for relief under the settlement should visit www.welkresorts.com/resolution

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's too bad this only applies to consumers who previously submitted a written complaint. Should apply to all consumers.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
It's too bad this only applies to consumers who previously submitted a written complaint. Should apply to all consumers.
It does. Details are in the article.

[ETA: I guess the article is a bit ambiguous if group 2 will have the right of rescission.]

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It does. Details are in the article.

That's good news. I was going based on your description "That program allows consumers who previously submitted a written complaint ..." and didn't have time to read the article (mea culpa).

Your Welk settlement article should be posted in the sticky about getting out of your timeshare in the buying,selling forum as this would be helpful to many cc @Grammarhero @TUGBrian

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
this is why we always suggest filing a complaint with your ags office!

the number of complaints is also how they base the amount of the fine/restitution!

sadly most folks feel that nothing good will come of it and dont bother to file a complaint :(

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wish all the attorney general office across the United States would file a similar lawsuit to protect consumers.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wish all the attorney general office across the United States would file a similar lawsuit to protect consumers.
I agree. California has very strong consumer protection laws, and even then it took this long for it to happen.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have to get enough complaints in order for it to get enough attention to warrant the attention of the AGs office!

and even then you have many many months if not years worth of investigation before any suit is brought, especially in situations like these.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
have to get enough complaints in order for it to get enough attention to warrant the attention of the AGs office!

and even then you have many many months if not years worth of investigation before any suit is brought, especially in situations like these.
Funny thing is that if any AG sent undercover officers posing as customers, they could likely find much worse. However, they may not themselves know the falsities if not well informed (like us!)

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro, it is election season and attorneys general are elected officials. You can bet that a few (or more) will pile on--especially with the California precedent. About the only thing that could slow them down is the COVID distraction.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any one know what the high pressure tactics used? I can image what there were but what actually did the Welk sale people say or do.

I've only been to the HGVC presentations and it felt pressured but I will tell you that they didn't really directly answer questions that could get them in trouble. For example, at my first presentation before owning, I was a Diamond Hilton member, I asked if I can get the complimentary breakfast when staying at the HGVC in Hilton Hawaiian Village (my favorite place). The reply was, when staying at the Hotel in HHV, you will get the complimentary breakfast. As a new person in timeshare, I didn't truly understand the connection between HGV and Hilton Hotel, so I took it as 'Yes'. Come to find out, the answer was 'No' because HGVC and Hilton Hotel are different entities. HGVC business relationship and not a ownership relationship. Did they lie to me? Not really, they just didn't elaborate on the question or answer.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I bought from Welk in the timeframe that this lawsuit covers. Some of the lies I was told included:
1. Being told that I could rent out points I didn't use for profit. (Welk does have a rental program and I have used it and I did make more than my annual MF. However telling buyers this is illegal)
2. I was told that I could trade directly into Disney Animal Kingdom anytime I wanted. (This was false not just due to AK almost never turning up on RCI, but because Welk was not not affiliated with RCI at that time)
3. Being told we could easily refinance the loan from Welk as it was a "deeded property/title" and could be financed like real estate/real property. (we all know this is false)
4. There was the typical stuff, sell you the moon etc.

Welk's website says owers who are eligible for this will receive information in the mail about what our options are. I will not be getting rid of Welk but I wouldn't say no to some financial compensation. I still love my Welk ownership and recommend it but thanks to TUG, I only recommend buying resale.
I told ya'll the CEO came through and cleaned up the sales house in 2016. I think the fact that this settlement doesn't go beyond 16, proves that they've made big changes since then. However, newer owners on the now 475 strong Welk FB group, are still complaining of being mislead/confused and I know Welk has hired a few sales supervisors from Wyndham and I have spoken with one in Branson, did NOT like her.....

Soozal

TUG Member
Reaction score
2. I was told that I could trade directly into Disney Animal Kingdom anytime I wanted. (This was false not just due to AK almost never

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I wonder how high our maintenance fees will be raised to pay for this. Sigh. Of course, they'll call it "increased personnel costs."

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I wonder how high our maintenance fees will be raised to pay for this. Sigh. Of course, they'll call it "increased personnel costs."
I doubt very much at all. They've built two massive new buildings in Branson, renovated large parts of San Diego, are renovating Palm springs, added Breckenridge and the collections resorts options all since 2015 and our MF have stayed at a steady rate of increase.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Living in CO, I’m ecstatic about the Breckenridge resort. Been there myself twice and my daughter and friends went once. Looking to book another weekend or two.
You know about saving points by staying midweek right? Sunday check in, Friday check cost half as many points as a full week.
Aka: a Friday and Saturday night stay costs as much as Five midweek nights.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
You know about saving points by staying midweek right? Sunday check in, Friday check cost half as many points as a full week.
Aka: a Friday and Saturday night stay costs as much as Five midweek nights.

Yes, but wife is a teacher so midweek is a little harder. (Been owner with Welk for a longtime. Just inherited my Dad’s Welk ownership and combined them: we have many points)

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, wish I knew about this so I could have poked them about it at the presentation I went to last weekend!

It wasn't high pressure, but they took up every one of the 120 minutes I agreed to. (They asked at the beginning if they could go over, and I said no, I had plans already.) When I went to their presentation a few years ago, the lady let me out really fast when I told her I had bought my timehsare at TVV on ebay at 25% of what the resort was offering it at. Not so lucky this time, but the presentation wasn't terrible. I got $80 resort cash and a 4day/3 nt voucher for a future stay at any of their resorts (3day/2nt at Lake Tahoe property). Well worth my 120 minutes!

jarnson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Attorney General Becerra and San Diego District Attorney Stephan have obtained up to $3,550,000 in restitution for consumers harmed by Welk Resort’s “misleading marketing and sales tactics,” according to a press release from the California AG’s office on Wednesday.

The settlement provides victims with the largest consumer relief package ever obtained by California for violations of California’s Timeshare Law.

Undercover operations conducted with assistance of the California Department of Consumer Affairs revealed that Welk was making false statements and misrepresentations in high-pressure sales presentations at its resort in Escondido, California.

That program allows consumers who previously submitted a written complaint with the option to (1) rescind their timeshare purchase agreement with Welk and obtain a full or partial refund or, (2) retain their timeshare interest and instead obtain restitution in the form of cash, a resort credit, or additional timeshare points;

Welk customers who have questions about the settlement or regarding their eligibility for relief under the settlement should visit www.welkresorts.com/resolution

Wish it applied to CO. I was never able to get what I wanted and now want to sell my timeshare.
Their restrictions on availability are terrible