• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you have new saving habits developed at home due to the virus

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Due to the virus some of my habits have changed at home. I am more aware of waste. I realized some of the things we take for granted can be gone tomorrow.

I am becoming more like my mother. She uses everything and throws out nothing. Being a war survivor and not having much I understand now why.

These are just a few of the things I notice that I am doing now. Are there things you are doing too?

When a moisturizer pump container no longer worked, I would hold it upside down and top off the new container and discard. Now after doing that I place it closed upside down in a glass and use it to the last drop. Actually surprised how many additional uses I get.

I do a much larger load of laundry. I use to to tiny loads.

I have not thrown out any food because it went bad. Making sure to be aware and use what is in the refrigerator.

I go around the house and close unnecessary lights.

I am cooking more dishes from scratch instead of ready made options.

Keeping the thermostat up 2 additional degrees.

I am using hand towels to wipe up a mess versus paper towels.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We’ve always done most of these things simply because not wasting money means more money for the things we truly enjoy (like vacations). But while our habits haven’t changed much, I definitely get what you’re saying about not taking things for granted. Now more than ever we appreciate what we have, and it’s reinforced our policy of keeping a generous inventory of everyday items on hand.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always paid our self first; We both saved money monthly. We do not purchase fancy clothes, shoes, jewelry, cars or homes.
We enjoy buying items on sales and at Costco, TJMaxx, Dillard, Home Depot and Lowe's. I for one take full advantage of my 10% discount at Lowe's & Home Depot on all my purchases.
We adjust the temperature setting in our home for the winter and summer months.

Some years ago I loss some very close friends in Vietnam, than my Mother (hard loss), my Father-in-Law(hard loss), my Father (hard loss), my two Uncles and four Aunts, my Mother-in-Law (hard loss), my best Male Friend (my Traveling Partner) (hard loss), my Brother-in-Law(hard loss), my Sgt Major friend (hard loss) and my only Brother (hard loss)last year.

I still feel the pain and hurt of these losses in my life.

I have loss so many outstanding people in the last 50 years of my life.

I do not take anything for granted or Life for granted..

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
No changes for us here. We were always mindful but maybe not as much as you listed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have definitely not developed additional savings habit and instead it has put my online shopaholism and hoarding on steroid. We have 3 to 4 packages delivered to us everyday, all from my online shopping. We now have 4 jars of Kirkland unsalted mixed nuts, 5 3-lb bags of Pistachios, 2 40-bag boxes of Cheetos, 1 40-bag box of Lays potato chips, 5 30-bag boxes of Skinny Pop, 80 bags of Tillamook zero sugar beef jerky, 20 jars of peanut butter, several boxes of gluten-free cookies, about 100 lbs of meat in my freezer, 2 deliveries of fruits and vegetables this week from different vendors, too many boxes of chocolates to count and not to mention paper products as I can see folks on TUG throwing stones at me.... I need to go on telemedicine with a shrink to help me with my disease...

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Due to the virus some of my habits have changed at home. I am more aware of waste. I realized some of the things we take for granted can be gone tomorrow.

I am becoming more like my mother. She uses everything and throws out nothing. Being a war survivor and not having much I understand now why.

These are just a few of the things I notice that I am doing now. Are there things you are doing too?

When a moisturizer pump container no longer worked, I would hold it upside down and top off the new container and discard. Now after doing that I place it closed upside down in a glass and use it to the last drop. Actually surprised how many additional uses I get.

I do a much larger load of laundry. I use to to tiny loads.

I have not thrown out any food because it went bad. Making sure to be aware and use what is in the refrigerator.

I go around the house and close unnecessary lights.

I am cooking more dishes from scratch instead of ready made options.

Keeping the thermostat up 2 additional degrees.

I am using hand towels to wipe up a mess versus paper towels.

I have always been frugal with things. For awhile when I couldn’t get napkins I simply wasn’t using any.

I always used a lot of toilet paper but now with the bidet attachmentI am using a lot less.

But I always turn almost empty bottles upside down. Sometimes add water to get every last drop out. That can extend use sometimes up to a month! Cut the toothpaste tubes.

Also trying to use less paper towels but can’t get sanitizing wipes so that’s hard, but heck- we aren’t going anywhere anyway.

Always cooked at home. Don't throw out food. Always turn down heat. Lights off when not needed.

We decided to scratch hiring a handyman as he wanted too much money. So we are back to planning to do a few things ourselves when the weather gets warmer. See how that goes.

Really worried about the economy now and have been spending twice what we budgeted for food every single week. Have to start cutting back on that.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have definitely not developed additional savings habit and instead it has put my online shopaholism and hoarding on steroid. We have 3 to 4 packages delivered to us everyday, all from my online shopping. We now have 4 jars of Kirkland unsalted mixed nuts, 5 3-lb bags of Pistachios, 2 40-bag boxes of Cheetos, 1 40-bag box of Lays potato chips, 5 30-bag boxes of Skinny Pop, 80 bags of Tillamook zero sugar beef jerky, 20 jars of peanut butter, several boxes of gluten-free cookies, about 100 lbs of meat in my freezer, 2 deliveries of fruits and vegetables this week from different vendors, too many boxes of chocolates to count and not to mention paper products as I can see folks on TUG throwing stones at me.... I need to go on telemedicine with a shrink to help me with my disease...
I didn’t say I stopped shopping. That has increased but just using everything.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find I am plotting out meals rethinking and obsessing about not wasting food and when to schedule my next instacart order. It is the one thing I can control.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know. Maybe part of the reason that I am shopping more because I am trying to save on shipping. Costco has a minimum $75 for free shipping so I keep adding stuff that we will consume or use to top it up. On the other hand we have always had 10 jars of peanut butter at any point in time because we have peanut butter on toast for breakfast on most days. It is just that I have to shop more because I never know when items will be out of stock and we do not want to go to the store to hunt for items. I have definitely bought much more than in the past.

Just by cooking and staying home we are saving alot of money because we used to eat out all our lunches and a couple of times per week for dinner. But with everything else our habits have not changed. My husband is a computer games addict and just this week he bought more than $200 of online games on Steam. Because I check credit card charges and pay them, I casually asked him about it just to make sure that they were not fraudulent charges and he said until he bought and downloaded a game he wouldn't know if he liked it. When he does not like it, he just goes off and buys another one.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've become very conscious about where my money is being spent. I'm definitely more thrifty than I was before. Some of it is due to conserving because of the virus, but likely more of it is due to my retirement last month. Since the first of the year I'd been practicing being financially retired, living only on my retirement funds, and saving the difference. My last three months of paychecks from my job went directly to savings accounts at the bank, to be untouched. By the time my retirement date came along, I knew I could live on my retirement funds. But then when it became real (i.e. "payday" from my job happened, and there was no paycheck for me), I became super-aware that this is it, for real. So I'm saving every penny I can, and being very aware of how those pennies I do spend are being spent. It's been a great experience.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, I liked Ralph Lauren men clothes. Several times during the year his clothes are discounted 50 to 70% or more off the regular sale price. The sales can be found directly on his web site.
Also when I need a quality men suit. I will wait on Dillard to have their 50 to 60% discount on men suites. Their suit sales are on high end suits.

Also, women clothes are on sales with deeper discounts.

Also, his website offer free shipping in two to three days..

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not think my habits have changed. I do not think I am an excessive shopper and never have been. We are probably spending a little more because we stock up on things. We are also drinking more so our bar bill has gone up. I have always been careful with turning lights off because that was a habit I developed as a kid from my mother. I have always done large loads of laundry, mainly because I wait until it piles up so I do not have to do laundry weekly.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not changing much, here I have always been a saver and frugal. Always worked two jobs 1full1part time and overtime when available. My dear, amazing wife likes clothes and shoes and credit cards some. She bas gotten a lot better thrifting untill CV-19. She is an amazing cook, an likes it so we are good there. She's a great shopper and likes sales so that helps. We have thermostat wars so there's that. Both our homes are paid off so almost debt free. We are healthy and blessed, thank God. I am always trying to improve.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've always been careful shoppers, but our expenditures are down now because of no eating out or inshore shopping. Enjoying a really good meal with wine at a fine restaurant was something we didn't hesitate to do - and now that's not an option. I also am spending less on clothing. I generally don't like to order clothes online, unless it's something I buy regularly like LL Bean t-shirts, so I've had to forego clothing purchases. And of course there's no where to go that requires new clothes anyway. The folks at the dog park don't care that I'm wearing my old jeans - and who can tell from 6 feet away!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We’ve always been careful with purchases and very rarely go out to eat, except when on vacation. Husband is a hoarder when it comes to things on sale with coupons....but that has come in handy the past 6 weeks. Our only real indulgence is our Disney Vacation Club and our Disney trips. I’m keeping my eye on the resale market and might add on if the price is right.

We nearly always cook from scratch...and I hate to shop, I only but what I need. I have short legs so when Kohl’s has a sale and I have 30% off I’ll buy one thing in a few colors...can’t ever find petites in the store so it’s on line all the way.

I think lots of people that spent way too much on take out and convenience foods might be learning to cook from scratch.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I’m probably spending more on my airplane hobby to buy Dodads and Thingajigs. Just got one in the mail today. If the bug gets me, I’ve had fun flying with these gadgets rather watching my 401k/IRA Funds go up and down and scrimping to save for some future time. I can afford it so I’m doing it.

Cheers

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if I'm saving anything, but our shopping habits have certainly changed. I like fresh produce, dairy, and fish/meat/poultry, so used to grocery shop almost every day. With our local SIP in place for a month now (and a DH who takes these things very seriously), we're going to the grocery store maybe once a week. Almost every meal is planned with a secondary meal in mind to use leftovers.

I've noticed our wine bill has gone up!

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
I notice myself using a lot less paper towels, tp, and napkins. I’m shopping online ALOT. I have 8 little grandkids so I can always find stuff for them. I bought a lot more lounge clothes for myself since I’m not going anywhere most days. We just missed going on vacation last week so I figure I have vacation money to spend. I was so busy working 22 hours a week and watching grandkids another 30 hours a week, plus helping with our rentals, quite frankly I’m bored !!! Not working, not babysitting, sold 2/3 of the rentals this month. The last one is being looked at to buy tomorrow by a buyer. Concerned about what I’m going to do, lost all my jobs in the same 6 weeks

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know. Maybe part of the reason that I am shopping more because I am trying to save on shipping. Costco has a minimum $75 for free shipping so I keep adding stuff that we will consume or use to top it up. On the other hand we have always had 10 jars of peanut butter at any point in time because we have peanut butter on toast for breakfast on most days. It is just that I have to shop more because I never know when items will be out of stock and we do not want to go to the store to hunt for items. I have definitely bought much more than in the past.

Just by cooking and staying home we are saving alot of money because we used to eat out all our lunches and a couple of times per week for dinner. But everything else our habits have not changed. My husband is a computer games addict and just this week he bought more than $200 of online games on Steam. Because I check credit card charges and pay them, I casually asked him about it just to make sure that they were not fraudulent charges and he said until he bought and downloaded a game he wouldn't know if he liked it. When he does not like it, he just goes off and buys another one.
Seems not only the two of us have things in common, our significant others do too !