• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Airlines extends frequent flyer status and deadline for use of companion certificates.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
from an Alaska Airlines email. All 2020 frequent flyer status levels will be carried over to 2021. Also all companion fare certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended to the end of 2020. That is the date of booking, not the date of flying.

Elite status extension
Your current status will be extended through December 31, 2021. Whatever status you have today, you’ll also have it next year.
That status will unlock even more benefits as we move closer to our oneworld® launch in summer 2021.*
For our MVP and MVP Gold members: look for additional opportunities in the coming months to earn more elite-qualifying miles in 2020 to boost your status in 2021.
For our MVP Gold 75K members: we’ll provide additional opportunities to earn your annual 50,000 bonus miles reward.
Any elite-qualifying miles earned between January 1 and April 30, 2020 will be rolled over to 2021 to give you a head start on earning status for 2022.
Members who started a status match challenge between December 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020 will have the challenge criteria waived, and your matched status will be extended through December 31, 2021.
Companion certificate extension
All companion certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended. You’ll now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase new travel through November 26, 2021.
Alaska Lounge membership extension
All active memberships as of April 1, 2020 will be extended by six (6) months.

Also see:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hmmm, so I wonder, when I cancel my flights for May that used a companion fare will I then get that companion fare back with an extended date? Or since I'm cancelling will it be lost? Guess I'll find out when I actually do it.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't received that email yet. I just logged on, and my companion certificate still shows expiration on 11/24/2020. Of course, extending that to 12/31/2020 isn't a huge help; but every little bit...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Haven't received that email yet. I just logged on, and my companion certificate still shows expiration on 11/24/2020. Of course, extending that to 12/31/2020 isn't a huge help; but every little bit...
It said 12/31/2021

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It said 12/31/2021
No it says "All companion certificates set to expire in 2020 will be extended. You’ll now have until December 31, 2020 to purchase new travel through November 26, 2021. "

So 2020 expiration voucher have been extended to 12/31/2020. November 26, 2021 is 330 days after December 31, 2020, 330 days before departure being when the flight schedules open up for booking.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It said 12/31/2021

Oooh, good! (and D'oh!) So, any idea why my companion code is still showing an expiration in Nov 2020 when I look it up online? Are they still working their way through accounts, or is just an artifact and will in fact work for an extra year?

BTW, this is a companion certificate that I receive every year through the Alaska credit card through B of A.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I just reached out to Alaska Airlines on Facebook to ask my question. I was told they are extending the dates for companion fares both for unused ones, and for those that won't be used due to a flight being cancelled for COVID-19. So that means when I cancel our flights I will get the companion fare back, good for another year, as well as credit for the flights. I'd still like a full refund, but I'll take whatever I'm entitled to at the time I cancel.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Oooh, good! (and D'oh!) So, any idea why my companion code is still showing an expiration in Nov 2020 when I look it up online? Are they still working their way through accounts, or is just an artifact and will in fact work for an extra year?

BTW, this is a companion certificate that I receive every year through the Alaska credit card through B of A.
The email I received says they are working to update accounts.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

It looks as if I'[m going to need to burn at least four companion fares in 2021.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It looks as if I'[m going to need to burn at least four companion fares in 2021.

We will be in a similar situation. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to use them. Good problem to have.

Best regards.

Mike

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I cancelled my B of A Alaska Airlines credit card, so I just have this one companion fare left.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There's power in numbers on social media. :)
All I thought is that you wanted to know if Frontier was going to do this. I didn't realize you were trying to start a movement for them to. Go for it.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
This worked out pretty well for me. Wife and I are currently both MVP. I had enough flights booked this year to be MVP Gold but that's changed now. If they modify the standards, I"ll hit Gold and she'll still be MVP for this year and next. I still have two cross country flights to Orlando booked for this year and two to Hawaii later this year. I'll likely mix in at least one more Orlando and have flown to Orlando twice already this year.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This worked out pretty well for me. Wife and I are currently both MVP.
Worked out good for me too. Last year was a very heavy travel year, so I made it to 75K Gold for the first (and probably only) time. DW is MVP. So we'll carryover.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Worked out good for me too. Last year was a very heavy travel year, so I made it to 75K Gold for the first (and probably only) time. DW is MVP. So we'll carryover.

I was 75k just one year through a status match from United Platinum. I flew enough that year to hit Gold. Really slowed down last year for just MVP but we took some other flights to Cancun and Bahamas on United since Alaska doesn't travel there. We're both Gold for life on United due to my Million Miler status with them.