• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco and Coronavirus Panic-Shopping

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Limited bottle water supplies and no Lysol or Clorox wipes in the Newport News,VA. Costco store.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I saw on the news a couple days ago that some Costcos were running out of stuff. It doesn't make logical sense to me. If I am concerned that I'll be quarantined in my home, sure, I'll buy enough stuff for that time, but would I go through a pallet of toilet paper in that time? Personally, I get most of those items delivered on a regular schedule from Amazon, so I wouldn't need to stock up anyway. I feel for those who are in that major of a panic state of mind. They need to stop watching the news and focus on what they are doing right now vs. what doom that they can conjure up in their minds. Maybe it's time for everyone to pick up a new hobby so that they can do that instead of panic shopping/hoarding/returning.
Yeah - Call me naive, but I don't understand this at all. Why do people need tons of bottled water? Is the water supply going to be cut off? I live in a nice suburban area. If I get quarantined in my home I'll be using Shipt to deliver some groceries and calling Grub Hub.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Not just limited to Washington State. Costco in Fort Lauderdale, Florida is out of toilet paper, water, cleaning supplies and many other items. Also, huge increase in shoppers. Will be glad when this craziness subsides.

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see this is gonna require a purely research trip to my local warehouse. Oh, and maybe a bale of TP, rotisserie chix, coffee & booze. Just RESEARCH, you understand! :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m in the Metro Detroit area of Michigan and the same craziness is happening at our Costco.

I was the only person in line with 15 items or less. Every other cart was full to the brim.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
UGH! I drink spring water by the gallon. I’m running low and needed a new supply and now the timing couldn’t be worse, I hear ya can’t get any around here LOL. My luck

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I saw on the news a couple days ago that some Costcos were running out of stuff. It doesn't make logical sense to me. If I am concerned that I'll be quarantined in my home, sure, I'll buy enough stuff for that time, but would I go through a pallet of toilet paper in that time?
The entire family having "the runs" for the 2 weeks while under quarantine? :LOL:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Don't forget that Citi cards released their annual Costco rebates recently so people are in the warehouse spending anyway.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You seem to be the only one that took Dave’s post that way. Perhaps, you took it wrong?

Harry

Sorry Harry, nope. I may just be the only one willing to contradict Dave. I typically agree with everything he posts, but this is an exception!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken, I understand and respect your point about this. But I think you are thinking I’m just trying to save Costco employees from doing their regular jobs. That isn’t my intention. My spouse and others will do their level best to provide good customer service to the members.

What I’m trying to do is help the Costco members from setting up their own levels of further stress in this situation. The complaints to management about why they don’t have more of a product to sell, the acceleration of attitude that goes with extra crowds trying to buy everything they want to get, then complaints about check out lines moving too slow. Then, when those same people want to return all that over-purchased merchandise, they get angry that they have to wait in line so long, while the refund staff helps all those people in front of them in line.

I’m only asking people to think before over-buying. They need to stay safe, certainly, but there is no reason to make something worse than it already is.

Perhaps it’s my location that is making things worse. We’ve had six deaths from Covid-19 in my state, and things here are pretty tense.

Dave

Dave,

Again, I appreciate your intention but I think you’re going about it all wrong.

FWIW, I did not even buy one package of TP when I was there! Lol

Best,
Ken

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yeah - Call me naive, but I don't understand this at all. Why do people need tons of bottled water? Is the water supply going to be cut off? I live in a nice suburban area. If I get quarantined in my home I'll be using Shipt to deliver some groceries and calling Grub Hub.

Are you sure you want a Lyft/Uber/other driver who comes into contact with dozens or more people each day during a crisis, and whom might be sick themselves but forced to work for economic reasons as long as they can, to deliver your goods during an emergency time?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you want a Lyft/Uber/other driver who comes into contact with dozens or more people each day during a crisis, and whom might be sick themselves but forced to work for economic reasons as long as they can, to deliver your goods during an emergency time?

FFS - I don't live my life in a state of fear. I take public transportation to work every day. By this logic, I should be staying at home in a bunker.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Dave,

I appreciate your intent, but I feel that this is entirely inappropriate.

Ken

There's nothing inappropriate about this thread, other than your continued criticisms of Dave. It's the lounge. On TUG. Let it go.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
A bit off topic, but I did stop by Sam's over the weekend. Crowds did seem a but larger than usual but I can't say that I saw anything that could be construed as panic buying.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I can see this is gonna require a purely research trip to my local warehouse. Oh, and maybe a bale of TP, rotisserie chix, coffee & booze. Just RESEARCH, you understand! :)

Any reason you listed in ascending order of importance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Sorry Harry, nope. I may just be the only one willing to contradict Dave. I typically agree with everything he posts, but this is an exception!

Yeah, I’m sure that’s it. You’re the only person brave enough and/or intelligent enough to call Dave out online. Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Ramifications from the panic is real. Dave just showed us another ramification. I will add it is not just the customers that will wait a long time if they return. All customers will ultimately have longer waits to get help at the store if they need it as there are just so many on staff.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just stopped & talked to my neighborhood Smith's/Kroger store manager. He isn't seeing 'panic' shopping, but DID say that his numbers are up a bit- but it's the first of the month and ALWAYS happens after food stamp/EBT cards are funded. That said, I couldn't find Purell or (curiously) bean salad jars. Plenty of water and TP/paper towels, Lysol and Clorox wipes- even on sale. He said the scuttlebutt internally is the SLC area is getting hit, and they are preparing here for when the first cases of CV-19 get announced locally. So far, we're clean. It's a matter of time.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I had just moved our last 12 pack of TP upstairs last week before going to Vons. I lingered in the TP aisle because of that, not impending doom, and decided to pass because I already had four bottles of Diet Cherry Pepsi on the bottom of the cart where I'd put the TP. Thank goodness we have a "butt washer" in the master bath if I am unable to buy TP next trip!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Too much hate here for me to continue.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Too much hate here for me to continue.
No hate, hope you are just being sarcastic. You are entitled to your opinions, others are entitled to their opinions. No right or wrong, just differing opinions.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were already ready but did top off on some items that have to do with preventing colds. Multi-vitamin, elderberry extract powder, echinacea, and a couple cans of Lysol are what we bought. We did get some brazil nuts. This thread has me wondering if toilet paper and other things will be available in the near term. Always took it for granted that there would be tp.

Funny thing is in 9 months or so there will be plenty of canned goods donated to homeless shelters.

Bill

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's nothing inappropriate about this thread, other than your continued criticisms of Dave. It's the lounge. On TUG. Let it go.
THIS.
One of the reasons I visit TUG lounge daily. I enjoy the wide range of topics and opinions shared here -- usually without judgement. When I share personal issues or ask dumb questions, I do it with the expectation of acceptance if not agreement.