• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Aventuras

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - we bought into the Westin Aventuras “Flex” a couple of days back and are having second thoughts..here is the deal
+ 81,000 staroptions yearly for a MF plus VSN of 1341 usd. Maintenance fee first payment is Sept 2021
+ capital outlay was 29,500 usd
+ perk of 243,000 staroptions with 2 years to be used
+ 4 certificates of 330,000 bonvoy points each for 2250 usd if we choose to redeem

about us - we live in Miami and love Cancun so coming here is a very attractive option, but we like to also have access to other resorts in the US, and like the option to convert to Bonvoy points (i was an avid SPG traveler)
We re a family of 3 with a young child and would like to travel with extended family often - making multi bedroom arrangements a must
We would like the flexibility to not have to stay 7 days anywhere but to break it into smaller chunks as needed.

should we rescind? We re torn as we love lagunamar but are not necessarily wanting to buy a resale unit since there is not flexibility for other resorts.
Thanks for your guidance!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If you are wondering about rescinding, the answer is yes.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Rescind immediately. Westin Adventuras only gives you access to resorts in that particular Flex Program and I believe there’s only 3 resorts at this time. Read the Vistana stickies so that you can learn about the Vistana System.
For that price, you could purchase Westin Kierland(Scottsdale). Platinum Platinum 2bdrm for 15k and have 148k points annually to book at least multiple vacations during off season.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rescind.

You were sold 81K StarOptions, but you will need 148100 of them to reserve a two bedroom unit in Cancun during high season.
You were sold a program with relatively high maintenance fees and with no established resale value.

Better: buy a 148100 StarOption Westin Kierland unit resale for ~$15K with MF's of $1,645. Or a couple of SVV units (Bella or Key West sections only) for less money but higher MF's. Or just rent. You can use these StarOptions for short trips as well as full weeks, although I doubt you would ever fly to Cancun for less than a week.

You have only a few days to walk away from this financial mistake.
This is not a close call.
Follow the rescission instructinos exactly -- everyone who signed the purchase documents must sign the rescission letter, use the form of delivery required (but add a seond method that creates a receipt of delivery), and do it on time.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Rescind.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi everyone - we bought into the Westin Aventuras “Flex” a couple of days back and are having second thoughts..here is the deal
+ 81,000 staroptions yearly for a MF plus VSN of 1341 usd. Maintenance fee first payment is Sept 2021
+ capital outlay was 29,500 usd
+ perk of 243,000 staroptions with 2 years to be used
+ 4 certificates of 330,000 bonvoy points each for 2250 usd if we choose to redeem

about us - we live in Miami and love Cancun so coming here is a very attractive option, but we like to also have access to other resorts in the US, and like the option to convert to Bonvoy points (i was an avid SPG traveler)
We re a family of 3 with a young child and would like to travel with extended family often - making multi bedroom arrangements a must
We would like the flexibility to not have to stay 7 days anywhere but to break it into smaller chunks as needed.

should we rescind? We re torn as we love lagunamar but are not necessarily wanting to buy a resale unit since there is not flexibility for other resorts.
Rescind and rescind immediately please don’t delay. Follow all of the instructions. You can pick up 81K star options at vistana villages key west or bella phase for 1500 with 1200 maint fee each year. You can use those options at any VSN resort. Don’t waste 29K. I’d not care how many useless expiring star options or bonvoy points they give you. It’s not work 60K dollars (if you’re financing the mortgage). RESCIND RESCIND RESCIND.

Send it certified USPS with return receipt requested. Include the contract number and all those who are listed on the contract must also sign the rescission letter. Tell them you are exercising your legal right to rescind and cancelling contract Xxxxxxxxxx. That you expect a full refund of deposit and expect no further payments to be deducted or billed.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for rescinding now! Don't wait.

You can buy a resale mandatory Vistana resort for less money and worth more StarOptions, that will let you book at different resorts in the Vistana system. You'll also have access to Interval resorts as exchanges and Getaways. Converting StarOptions to Bonvoy points is a losing proposition. Sales makes it sound like a fantastic option, using StarOptions for Bonvoy points is VERY expensive.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
+1 for rescinding now! Don't wait.

You can buy a resale mandatory Vistana resort for less money and worth more StarOptions, that will let you book at different resorts in the Vistana system. You'll also have access to Interval and RCI resorts as exchanges, Getaways, Extra Vacations, and Last Minute Bargains. Converting StarOptions to Bonvoy points is a losing proposition. Sales makes it sound like a fantastic option, using StarOptions for Bonvoy points is VERY expensive.
Agreed. Converting options to bonvoy points was ALWAYS bad even when it was star options to star points.... never a good deal. I’m not sure mandatory resorts can be traded into RCI. I thought only certain voluntary could be exchanged in RCI

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I’m not sure mandatory resorts can be traded into RCI. I thought only certain voluntary could be exchanged in RCI

I think you're right. Thanks, I'll go back and correct my post!

Last edited:

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Can you rescind in person or do i need to go home to do it? Thanks for the pointers - we love Lagunamar but would love to get a much better deal!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks everyone! Can you rescind in person or do i need to go home to do it? Thanks for the pointers - we love Lagunamar but would love to get a much better deal!

Do not attempt to rescind in person; they will work overtime to try to dissuade you.
Do it in writing, using the method prescribed (mail, FedEx, or whatever the instructions say).
Do it now -- so you don't miss the deadline and so you can relax and enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Read the contract. Find instructions on rescission, that is the only way to legally end the contract. Follow it however it is stated there. It should say something like “to rescind”, “to cancel”, or “to make changes” to your contract, do this.........

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Will send everything in the mail first thing tomorrow once we re back in the US. Since we feel so strongly about Lagunamar - would you recommend that
1. We buy a resale unit here
2. We buy resale units at mandatory resorts to get sufficient starpoints
3. All of the above
We were thinking that we would do a week here per year - and then another week elsewhere, and the third week is the open one.
Thanks for your help!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks! Will send everything in the mail first thing tomorrow once we re back in the US. Since we feel so strongly about Lagunamar - would you recommend that
3. All of the above
We were thinking that we would do a week here per year - and then another week elsewhere, and the third week is the open one.
Thanks for your help!

Take your time; prices are not going up.

Timeshares are easy to buy and difficult to sell.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
3. All of the above
Thanks for your help!
When will you be back in the US? Will you get it in the mail USPS in time before rescission period ends?!
BUY RESALE AT MANDATORY RESORTS WITH SUFFICIENT STAR OPTIONS.

as much as you like WLR you may want to try something different. Plus imo, Mexico isn’t that stable. In two years Cancun could be a war zone. Changes are likely it wouldn’t be but you never know. I understand Anything can happen anywhere but let’s face it. Acapulco years ago was a great destination. Now not so much due to safety. As of now mandatory resorts that are platinum are pretty easy to exit.

Veritoalsol

TUG Member
Reaction score
We re headed to the airport so yes we are very much into the 5 working day timeline. So happy i found TUG in time! Ok so it sounds like the best path forward is to find something cost effective at a mandatory resort.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi everyone - we bought into the Westin Aventuras “Flex” a couple of days back and are having .....
about us - we live in Miami and love Cancun .....
should we rescind? .......Lagunamar

In Mexico you have 5 days to rescind !!!!!
(Sunday does not count)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy Westin Lagunamar platinum plus resale, look for ads on Redweek.com and the TUG Marketplace. Gorgeous resort (as you know), it also has great trading value in Interval (since you want to be able to travel to other resorts) and rental value, relatively cheap maintenance fees. When you own a week at a nice resort you will always be better off than owning points. If you buy a 2 bdr lockoff you can use the 1 bdr for yourselves and trade the studio.

Personally I would not invest now in a mandatory Vistana resort that gives you access to StarOptions even if you buy resale (although I own one). SVV Bella is an obvious option but your MF will be higher that at Lagunamar. But the biggest problem is that if Marriott messes with the Staroptions (not a high chance but a high downside if it happens), you will lose 2k overnight since its value will plummet and will trade like all the other Orlando Vistana resorts. More to loose IMO has Westin Kierland. It has a very high retail cost because it is a nice resort and because it has rental value but also because it is the cheapest internal Vistana trader (in terms of maintenance fees per StarOption). If you strip that from WKV the value can literally go down 50% so the loss can be a multiple of what you can loose with SVV Bellla.

I am not sure where the alarmist comments about buying in Mexico are coming from, you are actually dealing with Marriott. The aliens can also invade the Earth of course but I still went to work today and sent the kids to school.

Last edited: