• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I have to get guest certificate for RCI exchange?

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I need a guest certificate? Can't I just call DVC, get reservation number, and tell them who to put on res.?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
If you (or whoever else is on your RCI account) will not be at check-in, you will need a guest certificate.

Example: I gave an RCI DVC exchange to my niece and I had to buy a guest certificate for her because I won’t be going with her and won’t be with her at check-in. The only two names on my RCI account are mine and my husband’s.

Be sure to give all names to DVC Member Services before check-in because you cannot do it at check-in.

Last edited:

VAlegacy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you (or whoever else is on your RCI account) will not be at check-in, you will need a guest certificate.

Example: I gave an RCI DVC exchange to my niece and I had to buy a guest certificate for her because I won’t be going with her and won’t be with her at check-in. The only two names on my RCI account are mine and my husband’s.

Be sure to give all names to DVC Member Services before check-in because you cannot do it at check-in.
Thanks for the response, but I dont understand the redudancy.
In this instance, I booked a week for my parents. If I call DVC and tell them the names of the person(s) checking in, what good does a GC do for me? When they show up the show their ID's and its done.....right?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
When booking through RCI, if you're not checking in, you HAVE to buy a guest cert or they could suspend your account. It's not like booking directly with a resort or hotel. It's several thousand resorts in a third party system so they automate/digitize everything.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Littlestar outlines the official and accurate policy of RCI.

However, in my experience, for DVC you can avoid this by adding the name of whomever else you want to be able to check in to your reservation. This is a bit of an exception to the normal rule as DVC actually encourages you to register your whole party ahead of time and then would allow any of them to check in to the unit - most other resorts will not allow you to add other names to the reservation without you at check-in. In fact, if you have Magic Bands, you never actually need to check-in....you'll be sent your room number in the MyDisneyExperience app on the day of check-in and can go directly to your room and use the Magic Band as your room key for your whole visit. My last three visits I have never interacted with anyone at the front desk.

The above assumes you do not have more than 3 people to add to the reservation (for a total maximum occupancy of 4, including yourself, as you won't be able to remove yourself from the reservation unless you go the Guest Certificate route recommended above).

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Littlestar outlines the official and accurate policy of RCI.

However, in my experience, for DVC you can avoid this by adding the name of whomever else you want to be able to check in to your reservation. This is a bit of an exception to the normal rule as DVC actually encourages you to register your whole party ahead of time and then would allow any of them to check in to the unit - most other resorts will not allow you to add other names to the reservation without you at check-in. In fact, if you have Magic Bands, you never actually need to check-in....you'll be sent your room number in the MyDisneyExperience app on the day of check-in and can go directly to your room and use the Magic Band as your room key for your whole visit. My last three visits I have never interacted with anyone at the front desk.

The above assumes you do not have more than 3 people to add to the reservation (for a total maximum occupancy of 4, including yourself, as you won't be able to remove yourself from the reservation unless you go the Guest Certificate route recommended above).

I can second this. We've been able to go directly to our units. First you would contact DVC to get the reservation number they use and add all the guests. Then you would sign into your My Disney Experience account to get pre-registered and add the credit card they will be using for their stay and their cellphone number so they receive the text with their unit number. You would also order the magic bands but if there isn't at least several weeks before their stay they will have to pick up the magic bands at the resort. However if they already have magic bands that still work they can just keep their old ones and use them. If they are flying in and planning to use the Magical Express bus to get to the resort but won't have their magic bands in time DVC will assist you with getting passes/luggage tags you can print out.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have booked two SSR 1 bedrooms in the past and I have had my husband listed on one of them (with our daughter and son-in-law and grandchild) and then me on the other one bedroom and not had to buy a guest certificate. My husband checked in one and me the other one. DVC Member Services will tell you that you need a guest certificate if the RCI Member(s) is not listed on the reservation.

I actually talked to RCI about adding our daughters to our RCI account and they told me I could not because their IT Department would only allow two names to an RCI account even though our daughters were listed on the deed to our timeshare ownership.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
This is great info for me as I'm planning a large family trip to Disneyworld in '21.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC Member Services will tell you that you need a guest certificate if the RCI Member(s) is not listed on the reservation.

This is the key - if you are comfortable (and able to within maximum occupancy limits) staying listed on the reservation when you will not be there, then you should be fine.

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the key - if you are comfortable (and able to within maximum occupancy limits) staying listed on the reservation when you will not be there, then you should be fine.
As long as your parents do want to add a dining plan, this will work just fine. If you keep your name on the reservation and your parents want a dining plan then everyone on the reservation will be charged for the dining plan.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I can second this. We've been able to go directly to our units. First you would contact DVC to get the reservation number they use and add all the guests. Then you would sign into your My Disney Experience account to get pre-registered and add the credit card they will be using for their stay and their cellphone number so they receive the text with their unit number. You would also order the magic bands but if there isn't at least several weeks before their stay they will have to pick up the magic bands at the resort. However if they already have magic bands that still work they can just keep their old ones and use them. If they are flying in and planning to use the Magical Express bus to get to the resort but won't have their magic bands in time DVC will assist you with getting passes/luggage tags you can print out.
So if I’m traveling with friends and they have the MDE App but they don’t have magic bands. Can they still be added to the reservation? How does it work with multiple rooms? Everyone uploads their own credit card in their app and everything they scan with their magic band goes back to their credit card?

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
This is great info for me as I'm planning a large family trip to Disneyworld in '21.

The Old Key West and Animal Kingdom Kidani Village one bedroom units have a capacity of 5 not 4 like the other resorts. In addition to the sleeper sofa they have a sleeper chair that someone else posted are actually pretty comfortable to sleep on. Animal Kingdom stays can be hard to find but their one bedroom units have two full bathrooms which is fantastic.

When we've stayed at Saratoga Springs Resort and Animal Kingdom Kidani Village in the savanna view units there has always been a pack n play crib in the closet. So if any of your family group has a baby or young toddler, under 3?, you wouldn't need to count them in the sleeping capacity of the unit. Under 3 they don't need a wristband for the parks either.

Another thing that might be helpful to know is about the dinning plan. If you want to get the dinning plan everyone listed as staying in a unit must must take the dinning plan for every day of the stay. The cost of the dining plan for kids is pretty reasonable but it costs roughly three times as much for adults.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
So if I’m traveling with friends and they have the MDE App but they don’t have magic bands. Can they still be added to the reservation? How does it work with multiple rooms? Everyone uploads their own credit card in their app and everything they scan with their magic band goes back to their credit card?

Everyone staying in an on-site room should be added to a reservation, and by virtue of that will receive magic bands (except, I believe, children under 3 - mine are older so I don't have direct experience).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Everyone staying in an on-site room should be added to a reservation, and by virtue of that will receive magic bands (except, I believe, children under 3 - mine are older so I don't have direct experience).
Awesome. And they will be able to upload their own cc info to their magic band? Or is it one cc on the reservation for all? I’m thinking in terms of a friends trip

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

If they are staying in a unit they will receive magic bands. No charge. We've never had more than one unit but I think they would go online to the MDE website, log in under their account and enter the DVC reservation number for their stay to hook it up to their own account instead of yours. I'm not sure if you can have the magic bands being used for the same unit tied to different credit cards. DVC can probably answer that or you might be able to find that out on the MDE website.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Member Services will allow 5 in an SSR one bedroom, but will advise you they don’t provide bedding for the fifth person (you need to bring your own bedding). Once the remodel is finished at SSR, the fifth person will be accommodated with the new fold down bed under the tv.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If they are staying in a unit they will receive magic bands. No charge. We've never had more than one unit but I think they would go online to the MDE website, log in under their account and enter the DVC reservation number for their stay to hook it up to their own account instead of yours. I'm not sure if you can have the magic bands being used for the same unit tied to different credit cards. DVC can probably answer that or you might be able to find that out on the MDE website.
I’m just trying to figure out the whole magic band situation with charging back to the room for things. I’m sure everyone would have to have the reservation number in their app so I can search for fast passes 60 days out. So much to figure out haha

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I’m just trying to figure out the whole magic band situation with charging back to the room for things. I’m sure everyone would have to have the reservation number in their app so I can search for fast passes 60 days out. So much to figure out haha

It's been a few years since I've stayed with non-immediate family, so there may be more current processes. As I recall, it was possible for us to apply different credit cards to different people in the same unit by going to the front desk. People in completely separate units should be able to have separate credit cards for charging without issue.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It's been a few years since I've stayed with non-immediate family, so there may be more current processes. As I recall, it was possible for us to apply different credit cards to different people in the same unit by going to the front desk. People in completely separate units should be able to have separate credit cards for charging without issue.
Excellent. Thank you

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is correct. The default (and only thing you are able to do on your own via the app) is one credit card per room, tied to the primary person on the reservation. The front desk can splice and dice things in many ways, including assigning separate credit cards to each individual on the reservation based on what they charge on their own magic bands or room keys. They can also allow you to settle the bill with a different credit card (or number of different credit cards) at check-out.

The primary reservation holder will actually need to have them listed as one of your family/friends in the app at which point you can add them to your reservation. Alternatively, the primary reservation holder can call in to Disney and have them added that way. I do not believe they will be able to associate themselves to your reservation on their own just with the reservation number - action by the primary reservation holder is critical.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The primary reservation holder will actually need to have them listed as one of your family/friends in the app at which point you can add them to your reservation. Alternatively, the primary reservation holder can call in to Disney and have them added that way. I do not believe they will be able to associate themselves to your reservation on their own just with the reservation number - action by the primary reservation holder is critical.

ah ok, it’s similar to staying off property and adding people you’re traveling with for 30 day fast passes I’d assume. So add all those those to the reservation number per room, then go to the front desk and get them bands and link credit cards to each band easy enough.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
ah ok, it’s similar to staying off property and adding people you’re traveling with for 30 day fast passes I’d assume. So add all those those to the reservation number per room, then go to the front desk and get them bands and link credit cards to each band easy enough.
If you add them to the reservation more than 11 days prior to checkin, you can choose MB colors (or designs, for an upcharge) and personalize them on the back (we put our initials and the year and resort initials, e.g. xxx20BWV), and the MB will be shipped to your address. If you add them to the reservation and get them the Disney confirmation number and they link that number to their own MDE account, they can choose and personalize MBs themselves and they'll be shipped to their home address. If less than 11 days before checkin, personalized MBs can be chosen but will be waiting for them at the front desk at checkin.

As far as linking different CCs to different people, that needs to be done by them at the front desk. I don't believe you can go by yourself to have multiple CCs linked - each person will have to set a PIN code for themselves at the desk. But it is easy to do!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you add them to the reservation more than 11 days prior to checkin, you can choose MB colors (or designs, for an upcharge) and personalize them on the back (we put our initials and the year and resort initials, e.g. xxx20BWV), and the MB will be shipped to your address. If you add them to the reservation and get them the Disney confirmation number and they link that number to their own MDE account, they can choose and personalize MBs themselves and they'll be shipped to their home address. If less than 11 days before checkin, personalized MBs can be chosen but will be waiting for them at the front desk at checkin.

As far as linking different CCs to different people, that needs to be done by them at the front desk. I don't believe you can go by yourself to have multiple CCs linked - each person will have to set a PIN code for themselves at the desk. But it is easy to do!
That is excellent. Thank you so much for the information. That makes life easy. I’ll put my sis in law who does all of the Disney “work” for our trips. I just say yes and follow along lol.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
That is excellent. Thank you so much for the information. That makes life easy. I’ll put my sis in law who does all of the Disney “work” for our trips. I just say yes and follow along lol.
Put her as the primary guest on the reservation, give her the Disney confirmation number (you have to call DVC MS for that) to link to her MDE, and let her fly! Have fun!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks for the response, but I dont understand the redudancy.
In this instance, I booked a week for my parents. If I call DVC and tell them the names of the person(s) checking in, what good does a GC do for me? When they show up the show their ID's and its done.....right?
The redundancy is because RCI has an agreement with the resorts that they will require members to pay the guest certificate fee if anyone other than the member is checking in.