• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

help with flex purchase

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are at SDO. we piece together 10 weeks a year here at 8 months out using company 47 ( which gives us large one bedroom for 44k SO) . it works great for our needs but it is a lot of work. they are offering to take my only two resale SDO units and bring them into the network for a total of 81k and 67k plus give us 44 flex options at either westin or sheraton for a total of 17k all in. we would also get opportunities to buy bonvoy points for a great price (which we exercise for airline) and then we would be able to have the cheaper flex chart for at least one week stay but more importantly we would be 4 star elite and would get the wait list option for those company 47 SDO weeks at 44k SO for large one bedroom. we would also get about 100k bonvoy points for putting it on a new zero interest bonvoy card which my husband doesn't have. for what we use these for is this a viable option, or should we just continue to struggle at 8 months getting our weeks at SDO sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. we have been working with the same timeshare agent for years and she has become a friend and she thinks this works well for what we want to do, which is stay longer at SDO with an occasional trip to hawaii off season

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
so no one has offered opinion. 17k for retro and total of 192k SO MF around $2700 and we get to 4 star elite and get a bunch of certificates to buy bonvoy points which we use all the time. what say you tribe?? or i could just buy a WKV 148k platinum with MF of 1750 and still have my two SDO not in the network and wouldn't get the certificates or 4 star so no wait list

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
That wait list option is worthless now that online reservations are so active. The only positive of 4 star is Sept banking but I hardly think that’s worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
we are at SDO. we piece together 10 weeks a year here at 8 months out using company 47 ( which gives us large one bedroom for 44k SO) . it works great for our needs but it is a lot of work. they are offering to take my only two resale SDO units and bring them into the network for a total of 81k and 67k plus give us 44 flex options at either westin or sheraton for a total of 17k all in. we would also get opportunities to buy bonvoy points for a great price (which we exercise for airline) and then we would be able to have the cheaper flex chart for at least one week stay but more importantly we would be 4 star elite and would get the wait list option for those company 47 SDO weeks at 44k SO for large one bedroom. we would also get about 100k bonvoy points for putting it on a new zero interest bonvoy card which my husband doesn't have. for what we use these for is this a viable option, or should we just continue to struggle at 8 months getting our weeks at SDO sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. we have been working with the same timeshare agent for years and she has become a friend and she thinks this works well for what we want to do, which is stay longer at SDO with an occasional trip to hawaii off season

I'm a bit confused. What is company 47? How do you get SO with the SDO resale units and how does that stretch into 10 weeks? I've done a retro of an SDO (bought WFlex) but I don't really understand what you mean by a "cheaper flex chart"? Maybe it's just been too long of a day :shrug:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
so no one has offered opinion. 17k for retro and total of 192k SO MF around $2700 and we get to 4 star elite and get a bunch of certificates to buy bonvoy points which we use all the time. what say you tribe?? or i could just buy a WKV 148k platinum with MF of 1750 and still have my two SDO not in the network and wouldn't get the certificates or 4 star so no wait list
Buy WKV resale and dump both SDO units or keep one if you really like going there. WKV Is the best option. Flex is useless and will have zero resale value. Great your SDO will be retro into the network but still worthless on the resale market along with the flex. At least WKV will have value. Best use of your money is WKV resale.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Nevermind...just found this thread and figured out what Company 47 is.

@lorenmd, you do realize Groundhog Day was yesterday don't you? ;)

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for responses. yes i thought about wkv instead for about the same money and then dump the small one bedroom and keep the large. we like SDO . fits what we want a little better than WKV and it's nice to get a large one bedroom for only 44k SO at 8 months but i need SO for that and i would get them from WKV. ok will tell them no thanks and will start looking for more SO a cheaper way. right now we have 350k SO and two weeks bought for nothing at SDO. that's how we get 10 weeks. we do it at 8 months with company 47 reservations.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
thanks for responses. yes i thought about wkv instead for about the same money and then dump the small one bedroom and keep the large. we like SDO . fits what we want a little better than WKV and it's nice to get a large one bedroom for only 44k SO at 8 months but i need SO for that and i would get them from WKV. ok will tell them no thanks and will start looking for more SO a cheaper way. right now we have 350k SO and two weeks bought for nothing at SDO. that's how we get 10 weeks. we do it at 8 months with company 47 reservations.
Do you have any options you can use at other VSE resorts?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Why don’t you just buy a resale SDO 1-52 and reserve at 12 months? Aren’t they fairly cheap?

And if you have a 1-52 SDO now why are you reserving at 8 months not at 12? I’m so confused what this Company 47 is.

KACTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read through the the other thread about Company 47. Here was Denise’s answer copied and pasted So you don’t have to read through the other thread.

“Another developer built this resort, sold some units, and then Starwood bought out the remaining inventory, and finished selling it. So there are 2 sets of deeds - deeds sold pre-Starwood, and deeds sold by Starwood.

Originally, the first company sold all weeks as 1-52, then Starwood came in and started selling deeds by season.

Company 47, just means that the deed floats 1-52. Starwood sales people try to make it sound like something special and Elite. :rolleyes:”.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
If you can get a large 1BR at SDO in peak season for 44,000 staroptions, KEEP IT. That is a great value! Any other staroptions purchase will require 81,000 staroptions in peak season in Scottsdale.

Of course they want to buy you out, you are taking advantage of the system. Good for you! Keep it as is!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I wouldn’t retro until you find better resale w/ more SO. I wouldn’t buy WKV either for SO because of your intent to only stay at SDO. If you want more SO, look at SVV Key West LO or 2bd Plat SDO. The Plat will get you those additional weeks and if you retro, it’s 148k SO.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I just read through the the other thread about Company 47. Here was Denise’s answer copied and pasted So you don’t have to read through the other thread.

“Another developer built this resort, sold some units, and then Starwood bought out the remaining inventory, and finished selling it. So there are 2 sets of deeds - deeds sold pre-Starwood, and deeds sold by Starwood.

Originally, the first company sold all weeks as 1-52, then Starwood came in and started selling deeds by season.

Company 47, just means that the deed floats 1-52. Starwood sales people try to make it sound like something special and Elite. :rolleyes:”.

Which goes to my question why is she reserving at 8 months on that ownership? She should be reserving at 12 months to get the week she wants instead she says she piecing it together at 8. I’m confused. She should definitely keep to SDO if that’s where she prefers.

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
That wait list option is worthless now that online reservations are so active. The only positive of 4 star is Sept banking but I hardly think that’s worth the cost.

We are 4 star and agree with this. 4 star is totally not worth much.

In what we were offered recently, Bonvoy points at $0.006 each. The points experts say they are worth $0.008 each. So, for $9k you get $12k worth of points. In reality, you might get more or less value than $12k.

I looked at SDO large one bedroom in April for 5 nights to get a free one. Here is the cost:
$1097 or
375,000 Bonvoy points, making the points worth about $0.03 or about half of the offered price.

The small one bedroom is:
$925 or 150,000 Bonvoy Points, making the points worth about $0.0062. Just lightly better that the offer, but you dont want to stay in the smaller room.

Values can vary wildly, but if you are buying points you should look hard at these kinds of comparisons.

Also, verify everything they tell you. They told us we could currently trade one Bonvoy point for two United Miles. This was a bald face lie. You have to trade 3 Bonvoy points to get one United Mile. A United Mile is worth $0.015. So not counting the 10% bonus, a person would be trading 2.4 cents of bonvoy points for 1.5 cents worth of united miles.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
for those that don't know the secret, if you own one company 47 in your portfolio you have access to a staroptions chart that is much less star options to reserve. like for like at 12 months but at 8 months . i can reserve 21 days in a large one bedroom for 44x3 . instead of 81x3. this makes my SO go a lot further. we bought a small company 47 just so we would have access to these others at 8 months and for two years it has worked. and my first year when i made a 12 month reservation with my small company 47, the reservation gal at vistana told me that company 47 if available can put me in the larger unit so she did. the following year when i mentioned this she said no, only when they are making room assignments can they make that upgrade. i have learned so much from TUG that the sales guy at SDO asked me to come work for them . he said he's never had anyone know so much about timeshare. i said it's all because of TUG and he said , i don't know what that is. so obviously he is not doing his job, these timeshare realtors should know all about TUG and the resale market to better inform themselves. there is a big meeting going on in san diego right now for the bosses of all the TS offices to discuss going forward. they said big changes coming but they don't know what

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are 4 star and agree with this. 4 star is totally not worth much.

In what we were offered recently, Bonvoy points at $0.006 each. The points experts say they are worth $0.008 each. So, for $9k you get $12k worth of points. In reality, you might get more or less value than $12k.

I looked at SDO large one bedroom in April for 5 nights to get a free one. Here is the cost:
$1097 or
375,000 Bonvoy points, making the points worth about $0.03 or about half of the offered price.

The small one bedroom is:
$925 or 150,000 Bonvoy Points, making the points worth about $0.0062. Just lightly better that the offer, but you dont want to stay in the smaller room.

Values can vary wildly, but if you are buying points you should look hard at these kinds of comparisons.

Also, verify everything they tell you. They told us we could currently trade one Bonvoy point for two United Miles. This was a bald face lie. You have to trade 3 Bonvoy points to get one United Mile. A United Mile is worth $0.015. So not counting the 10% bonus, a person would be trading 2.4 cents of bonvoy points for 1.5 cents worth of united miles.
we mostly would use bonvoy points to stay in europe where they work fantastically. also we transfer some to AA so we can fly in the beds to europe. that works great too, not as well as before the merger but still worth it. that is why we wanted to do the deal to buy points cheaper. we have decided against buying since i found flex on the resale market for almost free, you all said 4 star was worthless and right now my company 47 bookings are working. at 8 months. but mostly to cover february. i think march would be difficult although i did get a large march week for 44k SO at 8 months. i will look for a resale SDO large platinum so i can book at 12 months in march

Danjos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spinnaker and Sheraton oasis, Grandview
for those that don't know the secret, if you own one company 47 in your portfolio you have access to a staroptions chart that is much less star options to reserve. like for like at 12 months but at 8 months . i can reserve 21 days in a large one bedroom for 44x3 . instead of 81x3. this makes my SO go a lot further. we bought a small company 47 just so we would have access to these others at 8 months and for two years it has worked. and my first year when i made a 12 month reservation with my small company 47, the reservation gal at vistana told me that company 47 if available can put me in the larger unit so she did. the following year when i mentioned this she said no, only when they are making room assignments can they make that upgrade. i have learned so much from TUG that the sales guy at SDO asked me to come work for them . he said he's never had anyone know so much about timeshare. i said it's all because of TUG and he said , i don't know what that is. so obviously he is not doing his job, these timeshare realtors should know all about TUG and the resale market to better inform themselves. there is a big meeting going on in san diego right now for the bosses of all the TS offices to discuss going forward. they said big changes coming but they don't know what
How do you know if your unit is company 47?