• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you done the Amtrak?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
This is an enjoyable video-blog on the Amtrak Empire Builder. Hope you enjoy!

I LOVE the Empire Builder . . . done it twice! First was R/T from MKE to Whitefish, Montana . . . in March. It was awesome! My return trip from Whitefish was with my sister & nephew. The second was one-way from Seattle to MKE with a friend in October. Also very good trip! Both were in roomettes . . . which are highly recommended. Unfortunately, their dining car services and meals have been dramatically reduced due to budget cuts.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
This is an enjoyable video-blog on the Amtrak Empire Builder. Hope you enjoy!

I LOVE the Empire Builder . . . done it twice! First was R/T from MKE to Whitefish, Montana . . . in March. It was awesome! My return trip from Whitefish was with my sister & nephew. The second was one-way from Seattle to MKE with a friend in October. Also very good trip! Both were in roomettes . . . which are highly recommended. Unfortunately, their dining car services and meals have been dramatically reduced due to budget cuts.
I have not done this route but do love Amtrak train travel and have done others. The meals are now horrible, neither I or my other half could eat them. They are worse then bad frozen dinners. We will be bringing our own food next time which is sad. The dining car cooked meals was one of the experiences that made the trips memorable. I met so many interesting people in the dining car.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I have not done this route but do love Amtrak train travel and have done others. The meals are now horrible, neither I or my other half could eat them. They are worse then bad frozen dinners. We will be bringing our own food next time which is sad. The dining car cooked meals was one of the experiences that made the trips memorable. I met so many interesting people in the dining car.

Someone told me yesterday that on the cross country routes (which would include the Empire Builder he said) they still have the "good" meals in the dining car. {shrug} I'm not sure; I'd have to research closely before booking, that's for sure.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that hot meals are not available on Amtrak trains now because of budget constraints.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I was under the impression that hot meals are not available on Amtrak trains now because of budget constraints.
Hot meals are available in frozen TV dinner style. They give you one free alcohol beverage to lessen the pain of the horrible food. I ordered the gluten free meal as marked on their menu and they gave me a dessert that was not gluten free.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not had a frozen TV dinner in fifty (50) years. Are they still made by Morton or Swanson in those aluminum trays. What a joke.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not had a frozen TV dinner in fifty (50) years. Are they still made by Morton or Swanson in those aluminum trays. What a joke.

The trays are plastic now - same as the food.

J/k, but they aren't exactly high cuisine. If that's all that's available I wouldn't go. Sad to hear, I think itd be fun to do a long train trip.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have taken Amtrak twice from NYC to Florida (Sanford?). Once we drove down and took the Autotrain w/roomette coming home.

I hate flying and wanted to try Amtrak. The first time it was with my son and daughter. The Autotrain was with my hubby, son and daughter. We only did it one way because I was afraid my husband would not like it. He would rather drive.

The Autotrain with the roomette was a much better experience. Your own car, not sharing restroom with the whole car, etc.

One is definitely better off bringing food and drinks. I would take the Autotrain and Amtrak again but with roomette if available. If no, roomette, I would suggest air freshener. I wish they cleaned the restrooms during the ride. I had written a letter to Amtrak after coming home. They are only cleaned once they reach their final destination (this was more than 10 years ago/maybe things have changed).

Could not see the blog - link broken? Perhaps other destinations/shorter destinations are better?