• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Local Costco just installed self-serve checkout this week...

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'm not a fan. As usual, self-checkout always seems to take longer and be more complicated than the experience provided by a good check-out clerk. It didn't capture one of our items, it kept telling us to remove items, it required assistance multiple times (and, ultimately, a second whole receipt for the missed item.) I can see it as being convenient for those genetic freaks that walk out of Costco with just one or two items, but, otherwise? Probably not a choice I will make.

In other Costco-related news (the most important news of *my* day, at least, LOL!), they had their spiral-sliced hams on sale for $10 off per ham, which mean I got a ten-plus pound ham for about $13 total. Has anyone ever cooked one of these in a crock-pot? I'm going to take it to our Quaker meeting's pot luck on Sunday, and just wondered how long it would take to heat up and when one should glaze it. I'm looking forward to split-pea soup later on in the week, too!

In addition, we were all uber-excited that they've started to carry make-from-fresh roti/chabati, just like the fresh tortillas that we've enjoyed for years. We can't wait to use one of the jalfrezi sauces from Aldi to make Indian at home this weekend!

What Costco updates do you have from your neck of the woods? :D I thought about resurrecting one of the older threads, but they were all...last year or whatever. ;)

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We have had self check out for close to a year. I know the one near my job was late last year. Great when you need to get in and out. I love the self check at food court. It’s soo much quicker.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
And I am happy it’s finally cold enough so that meatloaf and potatoes is back in rotation. We eat it at least twice a month

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
We had self check out a few years ago. Lasted about a year, and then they pulled it out. Not quite sure why. I quite like the potato salad in a clear tall container (I forget the brand name). I tried getting some in September for Labor Day, and was told it was seasonal/they had just stopped carrying it for the winter. The other day I happened to notice it back in stock. I guess they're ramping up for the summer season in January.......go figure.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had self check out for close to a year. I know the one near my job was late last year. Great when you need to get in and out. I love the self check at food court. It’s soo much quicker.

Yeah, not at the food court....that would be awesome, I agree. There's not really room to put one there. The food window is basically parallel to the check-out lines. Even if you use the self-check out just for food court purchases, you would still need to wait in a line for the food court. So....hassle.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the meatloaf is "seasonal" but tends to show up and go out at odd times....like the seasons are skewed. But I think it is finally in here, too. l like my homemade meatloaf, but there's is tasty, and if I'm in the store during a weeknight when I know the rest of the week will be crazy--it's a good choice.

(My daughter is in two musicals right now, so every night is crazy, LOL!)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I can see it as being convenient for those genetic freaks that walk out of Costco with just one or two items,
I'm one of those, but Costco is closer to my home than the grocery store, not much, but closer. If I need milk I will pop into Costco instead of driving further to the store. (Plus I'm pretty sure the grocery store is larger than Costco, so fewer steps.) The staff at the Costco is happier and nicer than the staff at the grocery store too, but that's another topic.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree about the staff at Costco. The fact that they work there for so long is a testament to the management philosophy of the company. I own a stock fund that specifically looks at "is this a good place to work" as a screen, because those places? Tend to outperform their competitors over time. That fund is doing very well, by the way--and includes Costco. :)

I don't buy milk at Costco--there's not enough of us that drink it fast enough to buy it in bulk. That gets bought at the farmer's market or the grocery store that is in the same strip center as my daughter's studio (see earlier post about two musicals...)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We had self checkout in our Costco’s in Michigan two years ago and then they ripped them out and put back the cashier lanes.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We have self checkout at Sam's Club, and it's the only one I've ever used, on three continents, that worked well, and that is mostly because it doesn't try to weigh your purchase. And you use a handheld scanner, which means you can leave your things in the cart. Nor does it ask you about bags purchased, because they don't sell them. And you can't buy alcohol at them.

Beyond that, as a genetic freak who pops in for a chicken or a crate of paper towels, it works well. At 7am there may be only one checker open, and although that's usually enough, you CAN get 2-3 big loads ahead of you.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, the meatloaf is "seasonal" but tends to show up and go out at odd times....like the seasons are skewed. But I think it is finally in here, too. l like my homemade meatloaf, but there's is tasty, and if I'm in the store during a weeknight when I know the rest of the week will be crazy--it's a good choice.

(My daughter is in two musicals right now, so every night is crazy, LOL!)
We are either at tutoring, karate or tutoring during the week so it’s great to have a close to home cooked meal. We love the street tacos as well. And I always get the Mac and cheese. I just spruce it up a bit, add jalapeños and pepper jack cheese.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We have only a small section for self check out. Only 4 terminals. I don’t believe the one closest to our house will get one cause it is packed on the weekends. Hell, even the Costco Business is packed in the weekends.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I love self checkout and it isn’t specific to Costco. I always use it when available. It’s faster than waiting in line behind those people that insist on writing checks but don’t start until everything has been rung up, or insist on digging around in their wallet, purse or pockets for the exact amount of cash. For groceries, I can also bag them as I want instead of having mashed bread when I get home. (Yes, I have anxiety issues. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The self check-out lines are on the far right of the row, but are the ones you come to "first" if you follow the typical track through the store. It looks like they maybe took out just one regular check-out line for two rows of self check-out....I think there are three or four in each row.

Yes, if you are popping in for just a chicken, it would be a good choice. Yesterday, we popped in just for leggings for my daughter...$100 some dollars later....yeah, it rarely happens that i have just an item or two to check out. :D

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I don't buy milk at Costco--there's not enough of us that drink it fast enough to buy it in bulk.

Is it not sold by the gallon at your Costco? I just buy a gallon. I don't drink milk, DH does, but I use it for cooking mostly.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I shop at less busy times at regular grocery stores, but self check-out is NEVER quicker for me. There is always an issue, it always requires someone to come over and help. *sigh* Maybe I just have good luck in regular check-out lines...

I also always bring my own bags, which self check-out definitely doesn't like. And I almost always pack most of the groceries myself, even in regular check-out lines.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the smallest size is a gallon and a half. Even a gallon is too much for us. We do well to finish a half-gallon before it becomes sour milk for baking. ;)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I haven’t got my results back from Ancestry genetic test yet, not sure about my freakiness factor.

I also pop in for milk and a rot-chicken. The 3 1/2 gallon cartons are ultra pastuerized, they last two months.

No self checkout here in CA yet, we have some speedy checkers so I would only use it for quick stops.

I had to replace my TV last week, the backlight LEDs went out started flashing. It was cheaper to buy a new one ($329 for 58”) than fix it! That was a quick Costco run. Now I’m ready for the Stupor Bowl, stocked up on Costco Hot Wings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We had self checkouts for several years when our Costco opened and then they were removed a year or so ago, when they upgraded the credit card readers to allow you to tap your card instead of inserting it. I often stop in for just a couple items and miss being able to quickly self check when there are long lines at the regular checkouts.

They have installed a self order/pay terminal for the food court. It sits on a small counter in the middle of the seating area, away from the actual food line. I haven't tried it yet, but you apparently enter your order, get a number and the go to the food area to pickup your items,

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
No self checkout here in CA yet, we have some speedy checkers so I would only use it for quick stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Costco in Sunnyvale has self checkout. We were there over the holidays and it was great. I am a huge fan.

The parking lot is a mess at that store so I rarely shop there.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Speaking of "seasonal", I was looking for new toilet brushes and I had seen a 2 pack at Costco. When I went to buy them they were nowhere to be found. When I asked a clerk, I was told that they were seasonal and would return during "cleaning season". Well, knock me over with a feather. I didn't realize that there was a "cleaning season". I guess I can skip cleaning until the toilet brushes show up at Costco ;)

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco in Hawaii Kai installed self check out a few months ago and it is working great. I always use it and the line goes fast. I overheard one of the employees telling a customer that they plan to install three more terminals and will have nine terminals in the near further. It appears to be popular in some areas and not others. I have never had a problem with checkout and the registers Work great. Maybe they are newer than other cities had. Not sure why anyone wants to remove them. They keep the other registers less busy for the people that use self check out.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
There’s self check out in some SoCal locations.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not been in ours in the last month or so. Self-check outs are good for 10 items or less (express) - otherwise one starts to hold up everyone more so than going to a cashier for various reasons.

If it means shorter lines - I would like one. Ours is way too small or stuffed with everything they have in there and the way their aisles are, very hard to form lines on most of the registers. The one registers on each end are the only two wear a long line can form. Perhaps when I/and other people run in for two/three items, we can check out faster. That is also hard to do. When I have those intentions, I make sure we do not take a cart with us in the store :)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Our Costco does not have self-check-out, but SAM's does. BUT SAM's also has Scan & Go! I can scan things as I put them in my cart and then pay just before getting to the folks at the exit. I get a barcode and they scan that and count the items and away I go!

SAM's is closer to me, but there are a few things we like better at Costco, so we go there at least once a month. I spend less when hubs does not go. :)