• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin and Sheraton Vacation Clubs Now Internal II Exchange with Priority for MVC Owners

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't recall seeing this mentioned on TUG yet, and I just saw it on MVC home page this morning, but it looks like II trades to Westin Vacation Club and Sheraton Vacation Club are now considered internal exchanges and it looks like Marriott priority applies there as well. I assume the same reciprocity is being extended to Westin/Sheraton owners into MVC.

We don't use II trades any more so this is basically a nothing-burger for us, but I know lots of TUGgers use and love II trades, so I thought I would post this. Here is the detail page from the MVC website.
Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.58.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 11.09.44 AM.png

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Oooh interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I don't recall seeing this mentioned on TUG yet, and I just saw it on MVC home page this morning, but it looks like II trades to Westin Vacation Club and Sheraton Vacation Club are now considered internal exchanges and it looks like Marriott priority applies there as well. I assume the same reciprocity is being extended to Westin/Sheraton owners into MVC.

We don't use II trades any more so this is basically a nothing-burger for us, but I know lots of TUGgers use and love II trades, so I thought I would post this. Here is the detail page from the MVC website.View attachment 16525
My mother traded her VSE week into II last year and was given priority for Aruba MVC and had a reservation a few days later. I think the priority was always there on the back end. I can tell you that since the merger, whenever I stayed at a MVC property they recognized me as an MVC owner even though I own in VSE.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Do Marriott owners get the reciprocal value or is this just an added value for Westin and Sheraton owners who now have improved chances of getting a good Marriott at the expense of a Marriott owner? From one angle it could be a good thing for Marriott owners if it improves our chances for prime Westins and Sheratons but is it even a fair exchange of new value? I wouldn't think so but wondering what others may think. II wants desperately to make trades to get all the associated fees so the more options for them to do so the better for them and also those traders with good units to trade on both sides I would think but for those with average Marriott traders it might push them down the totem pole for prime weeks now to prime Westin or Sheraton? That is a concern I believe. It should also open up some more options in shoulder season but again is it a fair exchange?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Do Marriott owners get the reciprocal value or is this just an added value for Westin and Sheraton owners who now have improved chances of getting a good Marriott at the expense of a Marriott owner? From one angle it could be a good thing for Marriott owners if it improves our chances for prime Westins and Sheratons but is it even a fair exchange of new value? I wouldn't think so but wondering what others may think. II wants desperately to make trades to get all the associated fees so the more options for them to do so the better for them and also those traders with good units to trade on both sides I would think but for those with average Marriott traders it might push them down the totem pole for prime weeks now to prime Westin or Sheraton? That is a concern I believe. It should also open up some more options in shoulder season but again is it a fair exchange?

You read it wrong ... it says Marriott owners get priority into Westin/Sheraton.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just checked the Vistana owners dashboard. I see the same verbiage on our side. I'm in a bit of a hurry but I believe what it said was that Vistana to Marriott is now an internal Exchange where it used to be considered an external exchange. Also on the Vistana forum it was reported that the exchange fees both ways are now the reduced amount of $154

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove

I agree. Not sure it benefits all equally. Certainly will increase competition for the good Marriott weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
You read it wrong ... it says Marriott owners get priority into Westin/Sheraton.

But that is because that was a message from the MVC web site directed at MVC owners. I'm sure it's reciprocal - Westin/Sheraton will also get the same priority into MVC. Basically, all three brands are being treated as one within II now.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at both and yes, it is also on Vistana's site that Vistana's II exchange into MVC timeshare now costs only $154.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, not free in the corporate account? Free retrades?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So, not free in the corporate account? Free retrades?

Free for MVC owners who are DC members through the corporate II account. See the second image/footnote/FAQ in the OP.

Westin/Sheraton owners don't get free II trades in their system I don't believe, so they get the same discounted rate they pay for II trades within their legacy brands as I understand the posts from those owners.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Free for MVC owners who are DC members through the corporate II account. See the second image/footnote/FAQ in the OP.

Westin/Sheraton owners don't get free II trades in their system I don't believe, so they get the same discounted rate they pay for II trades within their legacy brands as I understand the posts from those owners.
Yes, we pay to exchange into other vistana resorts. Most likely because if you own mandatory resorts or have SO usage through developer which is how they ownership was intended to be Purchased, you would have star option booking with no charge to book other resorts.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great then! More options. I am one of those guys who trades a lot. Good first step.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
As a Westin owner I like the idea of better access to MVC and more options. However it is not a huge change other than to reduce II access of non-MVC, non-Vistana traders to these properties. The reservation concern goes both ways but there are far fewer Vistana properties than MVC so the concern is greater on the Vistana side because there are so many Marriott owners with properties which we would never trade into such as Orlando, New Jersey etc. who will now vie for WSJ, Harborside, Mexico and Hawaii.

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I got an email from both Vistana and MVC today (ownership at both).

melissy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Westin owner I like the idea of better access to MVC and more options. However it is not a huge change other than to reduce II access of non-MVC, non-Vistana traders to these properties. The reservation concern goes both ways but there are far fewer Vistana properties than MVC so the concern is greater on the Vistana side because there are so many Marriott owners with properties which we would never trade into such as Orlando, New Jersey etc. who will now vie for WSJ, Harborside and Maui.
I don’t think WSJ ever showed up for exchange. I had heard Harborside availability has been low and not too many Maui Westin weeks seem to get deposited. So this looks like a win for Westin/Sheraton owners. Not so much for Marriott owners.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don’t think WSJ ever showed up for exchange. I had heard Harborside availability has been low and not too many Maui Westin weeks seem to get deposited. So this looks like a win for Westin/Sheraton owners. Not so much for Marriott owners.

Interesting point. Probably because they were traded in the Staroptions system first and VSN owners tend to stick with the SO points system because it is more flexible and immediate vs. deposit and wait in II. I imagine it's the same with DC and enrolled owners in MVC. Not sure how that will parse in the future.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I received an email from MVC today with the announcement. I did check some of the available Westin resorts and the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun has always looked like a nice one for a trade. I didn't check availability, but last time we were in Cancun, we really enjoyed the area. Also, the Westin in St. John is a nice option as well. My use of II has been limited, but I may take a shot at exploring some trades with these new options available.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Note, Marriott still has priority over Vistana. Vistana just has priority over others (after Marriott priority.)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Note, Marriott still has priority over Vistana. Vistana just has priority over others (after Marriott priority.)
I am curious how this is going to work from a practical standpoint. Is this priority going to be enforced strictly for all the bulk, mini-bulk, cancelled exchanges (last minute but not only) etc. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed some unusual Marriott inventory when searching with Vistana but I though that it was the beginning of the year and more deposits were going in.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I received the email and it stated that I would still have my “first access” to MVC trades and also have the preference to Westin/Sheraton.

I would speculate that this means that there is a second preference - ie, after all Starwood exchanges have matched, it goes to Marriott owners before it gets matched to highest power requests (or to Instant Exchange).

While it sounds cool, I think it’s Important to remember that Starwood manages Interval deposits carefully and its rare to see the prime weeks get deposited for an exchange (unlike in Marriott’s system where the owner does the deposit). Starwood is more shoulder-type deposits (think June and September in Kauai, not July and August). I believe the most attractive exchanges possible will still go to Starwood owners, if we have a “mini-preference”. But mini-preference is better than no preference.

What is definitely different is that I will now make a trade request for both Waiohai and WPORV, versus just Waiohai in the old world. Maybe one day I do get the match and trade my Marriott for a Westin. Or maybe I would now request Lagunamar which I just wouldn’t have done before. It will be interesting to see the reports of successful trades made with II across the systems.

Interesting stuff!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
So does this mean we also get Elite Night credit for exchanges to Vistana and/or Hyatt properties? I was told by a Marriott rep that we do but I was not convinced that the information was correct. I was upset by this announcement at first because I just did an exchange to a Hyatt only to realize they were conspicuously absent from the announcement.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
More choices and more volume. Other than Hyatt's, I don't see that MVC adds much to Vistana or vice versa.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
So does this mean we also get Elite Night credit for exchanges to Vistana and/or Hyatt properties? I was told by a Marriott rep that we do but I was not convinced that the information was correct. I was upset by this announcement at first because I just did an exchange to a Hyatt only to realize they were conspicuously absent from the announcement.

No Elite Night credit for Hyatt because Hyatt does not, and will not, participate in Bonvoy. I would expect Elite night credit would be given for Westin and Sheraton since those brands do play in Bonvoy.

Hyatt is not part of this because Marriott Vacations Worldwide has indicated that Hyatt is going to be kept totally separate from the other brands acquired with ILG. Since Westin and Sheraton are brands that are part of the Marriott family (both hotel and timeshare) that is the only integration that I think will happen in the short run. Longer term, who knows, but Marriott Vacations Worldwide seems to be keeping Hyatt separate for obvious reasons.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A good change which gives our enrolled Marriott weeks more options to pick from for no exchange fee. The only drawback is that Sheratons do not have studios, so every trade using a studio is going to always require an upgrade fee.