• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wrong side of Big Island

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
When we made plans to stay on the east side of the big island for the end of January, we knew we might be in for a number of rainy days. We figured that, worst case, we'd spend some extra time on the road to spend a lot more time on the west side of the island.

Now, with ten days to go, it has rained every day for weeks, and there are flood warnings galore. For a period of time yesterday, I believe all main roads from the west coast to the east coast had closures. What on earth would we do in that situation?

We are scheduled to fly into Kona midday, planning on hitting Costco, and then driving to Hilo to check in. Are there any frequent visitors or locals who can assure me that the road closures are short term, fairly rare occurrences? We're deliberately not making any concrete plans, we're happy to be flexible, but we don't want to be stuck in our apartment all week - or worse, stuck across the island from our apartment!!

Thanks to any and all who can provide a bit of insight.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I live on Oahu but I am traveling there for work tomorrow. It’s my first trip for work so I won’t have a lot of insight until I get there tomorrow. I will ask and see what is normal. I think it would be short term but depending on the severity of the storms.

I will post after I talk to some of the local people at my warehouse.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
You are an angel! From what I've read online, two of the three main roads reopened today, and it was more about a very intense period of rain the the past couple of days rather than the continued rain for the past few weeks. I'll still be glad to hear boots on the ground confirm that - thank you!!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Don't know about the Big Island but I was on the phone with someone on Maui yesterday and she was telling me about how unusual the weather had been. She was talking about three days of intense wind, where people were barely able to stand upright in some parts of the island, and then rain. We're going there end of February and are hoping things have calmed down by then. We have been on Maui when there has been strange weather.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now I'm getting worried. Is the weather on Kauai crazy? We're headed there soon.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Now I'm getting worried. Is the weather on Kauai crazy? We're headed there soon.
A friend just posted a picture of them on Kauai. Looks like they were getting the same stuff as Maui. But, when I looked up the weather forecast for Maui by the end of this week it was supposed to be in the 80's. Sounds like it's getting back to normal.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Don't know about the Big Island but I was on the phone with someone on Maui yesterday and she was telling me about how unusual the weather had been. She was talking about three days of intense wind, where people were barely able to stand upright in some parts of the island, and then rain. We're going there end of February and are hoping things have calmed down by then. We have been on Maui when there has been strange weather.

Yes, all the islands have been going through this and it is going to be about a two week period in all. I heard it’s supposed to break this weekend.

I have been talking to some locals here on Oahu and they are all saying that they don’t remember a winner like this. Very wet and very windy.

The weather person here on Oahu is calling for sunny weather starting Saturday.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When I lived on Oahu in the early 1960's it was not unusual for there to be a couple weeks of rain.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
From everything I've been reading - and boy, I've been reading a lot! - the past several weeks have just been a little more constant and a little heavier than usual, but it's not a particularly rare occurrence. What is rare is the *30 inches* of rain they just got in two days. Barring a repeat performance, we might be in for more rain, but shouldn't be facing any real risk of getting stuck on one side of the island or the other.

Still looking forward to the on-site report, of course.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
From everything I've been reading - and boy, I've been reading a lot! - the past several weeks have just been a little more constant and a little heavier than usual, but it's not a particularly rare occurrence. What is rare is the *30 inches* of rain they just got in two days. Barring a repeat performance, we might be in for more rain, but shouldn't be facing any real risk of getting stuck on one side of the island or the other.

Still looking forward to the on-site report, of course.

When I lived on Oahu in the early 1960's it was not unusual for there to be a couple weeks of rain.

While the island of Oahu has raining areas in the North and East, Honolulu which is in the South, is usually much drier than it has been this January so far. We have stayed in Honolulu here every winter since 2009 and without a car so avoiding getting wet walking and waiting for buses is an important consideration on a daily basis. The average January rain fall is less than 3 inches. We were in Kona and Waikoloa on the West side of the Island of Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and the weather was great with no rain. However, we did make a trip to East side of the island of Hawaii and it rained like usual. The North and South sides of the islands, get much more rain than the West and South sides,

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m at the airport in Honolulu now. So far just a little cloudy. No rain on my Uber to the airport. Great ride here, I have a new steady Uber driver now. And I lined up my next three trips with him. Since I go between the island daily often, it’s nice to be able to text a driver the week before and he is waiting at the airport to pick you up.

He is even going to take My family to the airport when we go to Molokai on the 25th.:thumbup:

I will post a little later what they say about the roads and how the weather is at the moment.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
38C14C94-03E2-45A4-8649-E86382124AF7.jpeg

Here’s the sky’s on Oahu at the moment but it is dry.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great ride here, I have a new steady Uber driver now. And I lined up my next three trips with him. Since I go between the island daily often, it’s nice to be able to text a driver the week before and he is waiting at the airport to pick you up.

He is even going to take My family to the airport when we go to Molokai on the 25th.:thumbup:
Must be nice having your own private chauffeur. Private island, personal driver, Jeff, you're livin' the dream! :)

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Must be nice having your own private chauffeur. Private island, personal driver, Jeff, you're livin' the life! :)

I am spoiled and it just keeps getting better. I have the whole row to myself for the long 45 minute flight to Hilo.:banana::)

294D7EF8-0921-4149-B910-ABA7017B3A21.jpeg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Remember this was almost 60 years ago. Lived in Ewa Beach and went to St Joseph Catholic School in Waipahu.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got here and while it is cloudy the sun is out and no rain right now.

I talked to one of my friends at work here and yes, if there is a large storm it could close down the road between the East and West but it is only temporary and when the toad clears it is opened back up. Similar to Kauai when the bridges up north flood.

Here’s a couple of pictures just before I landed.

D335C449-9100-4FE1-888E-7996B984449D.jpeg
C35F94F2-3AC7-4DD3-B161-1CCD3D012C58.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My weather App shows sun and 82 for early to mid next week for Hilo. :thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Remember this was almost 60 years ago. Lived in Ewa Beach and went to St Joseph Catholic School in Waipahu.

I arrived in Kailua in 1968. My heart never left. ;)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I arrived in Kailua in 1968. My heart never left. ;)

Dave
My first visit was in 1968. Visited the Big Island, Kauai, Maui and Oahu. Didn't get back again for about 7 years. In 1986 bought a timeshare on Maui and started spending time there every year.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Boy. They treat me like I have been coming here for years. It’s funny how that is when I check in in my work cloths. :)

Nice room, great view, 4 drink tickets, 2 cookies. My wife is going to want to come next time.

BC858DEC-CEA9-4A83-A57C-5F0C8FB48C2A.jpeg
A8E6C3B9-6EFE-443E-A5A4-A091CDAF695F.jpeg
A7FAE5CF-D70B-46AD-B3EE-34A0B992F9F1.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is a business trip. They put me up at the Hilton NaniLoa, a hotel. It’s nice, quiet, perfect for this trip.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am hoping for more time at lunch tomorrow so I can get away and try some place. I ended out eating at the hotel restaurant with guys from work. It ended out being a little late and they didn’t want to go anywhere else. it was still nice.