• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How can we get another Southwest Airlines companion pass?

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

We have had a Southwest companion pass for three years. We got the first one for my wife's account by trading Bonvoy points. When that one ran out, we got another one when I opened a Chase credit card account with 50,000 bonus points, then very quickly spent another $50,000. (Remodeling, tax payments, etc.)

The one we have now will run through the end of this year. We really like having one, but we will never fly enough to get one by flying. Are there other good ways?

Right now, we both have Chase Southwest credit cards. If I cancel one, how long do we have to wait before we can get the 50,000 point bonus again? That might be the best way to get one.

Thanks!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am trying to get another one too. You can cancel your cards and get another bonus 2 years after your last bonus payout. My DH and I have been switching off to keep the 2 years going. Last year I had pass. This year he has pass. Next year I will have one etc. Check Flyertalk for fine points to ensure you don't mess this up.

BTW...you can now only have one consumer card so adding a business card will get you over the CP limit. This is how I plan to do this.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Me too, couldn’t get enough spend on the card to re-qualify. I have enough miles though since been cutting back on travel due to medical issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to snag the business card Oct of 2019 and will receive the 80,000 bonus points 1/20. I waited to spend the 5k after month of dec. statement ended on Dec 20. This allowed the points to be deposited as January 2020 points. I also signed up for the Personal card January of 2020 with 40,000 bonus points after a 1k spend then a additional 35k with a 5k total spend in 6 months . I will have the 125k to receive the companion pass near the end of January 2020. This will give me the rest of this year and all of next year to use this nice perk. I also will have over 160k of southwest points to travel without paying for my airfare along with the free companion pass.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will repeat this same strategy in 24 months when my wife will become eligible again for the Southwest bonus offers. This is part of my strategy of traveling for less!

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have held a CP for about 10 years now. In the past it was usually obtained via credit card purchases and shopping portal use. But, over the last few years we have relied upon credit card sign up bonuses to hit it sooner. Like you, I hold one until the end of this year which was obtained by two sign up bonuses (regular and business SW visa). I have already cancelled my husbands SW cards - so next December it will be his turn to apply for SW credit card(s) to earn whatever sign up bonuses we can. Then I will switch all my monthly spending over to them and use the shopping portal until we hit the threshold needed.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I disagree.......
Found this information from various sources. I'd like to know what information you have that says you don't have to have some kind of business.

Well, yes, you do need a business to open a business credit card. ... In fact, when applying for a business credit card, there will be a section asking what kind of business you own, and also requesting your business tax identification number.

Yes, this is a business card — but you do not need to own a large business to qualify. And you're eligible even if you have the other Southwest business card, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card.

The qualifications for having a business may be lower than you think. Do you sell items on Amazon, eBay or Craigslist? Do you teach music or sports? Ever act as a freelance writer or photographer? If you sell any goods or services, that could qualify you as a business owner.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My gospel quartet occasionally gets paid. I wonder if that would meet the requirement?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree.......
My gospel quartet occasionally gets paid. I wonder if that would meet the requirement?
You need to have some type of business. See info below.

How to Apply for a Business Credit Card
Chase Ink credit card application form

When applying for a business card, it’s important to understand how to fill out the actual application, as it’ll differ from a personal application.

Most of it will be pretty straightforward, but there are a few parts that might be a touch confusing.

The most important thing is to not make it too complicated. You don’t have to make your business look bigger, better, or more profitable than it is.

Just be honest on the application.

While each bank will have slightly different questions, let’s look at how to fill out a Chase business credit card application. Here’s what to put for each box on the application:

• Legal name of business: Put your own name.
  • Business name on card: Again, your name is fine.
  • Business mailing address: Use your home address (unless you have a separate business address).
  • Type of business: Select Sole Proprietor
  • Tax identification number: Use your social security number.
  • Number of employees: For most people, this will be 0, unless your business actually has employees. Note that contractors do not count as employees, so don’t count freelancers you hired on sites like Upwork or Fiverr.
  • Years in business: List the amount of time you’ve done whatever your business activity is.
  • General industry, Category, and Specific type: Select the options that best describe your business. Don’t worry if your business doesn’t fit perfectly in the options the bank gives you.
  • Annual revenue: Give your best guess if you’re not exactly sure. If you’re a start-up, you can put 0 in here. You’ll almost assuredly have to explain it later in a phone call, but that’s fine. We’ll explore that in the next section.
The information above is intended for people who, like my mom, don’t have a registered business.

Of course, if you have a registered business (such as an LLC or corporation), you can use that information.

How to Use the Business Card Reconsideration Line to Get Approved Faster
Don’t get frustrated…you’ll have that business card in no time by calling the reconsideration line!

First off, realize that this DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE DENIED!

Every single person I know, myself included, who has applied as a sole proprietor has gotten this message.

If you want to speed up the process, call up the business reconsideration line.

Waiting for a letter to tell you if you are approved or not can take up to a month, and oftentimes, you’ll be denied because the card issuer couldn’t verify your business.

Instead, take 5 minutes and call the reconsideration line. You can call anytime, even the same day you applied, and will usually get approved immediately.

When you call the reconsideration line, simply tell the customer service rep that you applied for the card and would like to check on your application status.

They will then ask you a few basic questions about your business, such as:

• What is your business? What do you do?
  • How long have you been in business?
  • How much revenue did you make in the past year? How much of that was profit?
  • How much revenue do you plan on making this year? Why do you think you’ll make that amount?
There may be some other, more specific questions about your business, so the best advice I can give you is to take a few minutes and be prepared.

But don’t worry, this isn’t the Spanish Inquisition.

The person on the other end of the line just wants more information about your business.

It’s best to be as honest and personable as possible.

Don’t be nervous; you have an actual business!

I can’t begin to tell you how many people have told me they think they are doing something “wrong.”

I believe it comes from the idea that we that a “business” has to be a huge entity employing thousands of people.

The sooner you get past that false ideology and realize that a business is ANYTHING (big or small) that someone does to make money, you’ll understand that you have as much right to a business card as Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. (Although you’ll probably be given a much smaller line of credit!)