• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The End of Day Light Saving Time

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I agree. I couldn't care less about "more" light in the morning, as it's useless to me. I am getting ready for and going to work at least 5 days a week; I don't need sunlight for this.

Extended light in the evenings is useful to me: sports games, practices, swims at the beach, jogging, other outdoor activities. If it got dark at 6 now, instead of 5, lots of money would be saved by youth sports leagues on light fees at parks and schools.
I guess you're not making dinner? I would kill to have time off after work but that's when my second job kicks in. Luckily my husband helps out but if I decide to do something after work, then dinner just doesn't happen. I do walk or go to the gym in the mornings, and I don't feel comfortable doing that in the dark since I am alone.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't recall why we extended DST (3 for 3!) from October to November - does anyone recall the rationale?

Big Candy had been lobbying for YEARS for this extension--more daylight on Halloween=more time to trick or treat=more candy bought!! The Bush administration was very open to it, and rolled it into the Patriot Act, which, IIRC, no one actually bothered to read, because 9/11.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Big Candy had been lobbying for YEARS for this extension--more daylight on Halloween=more time to trick or treat=more candy bought!! The Bush administration was very open to it, and rolled it into the Patriot Act, which, IIRC, no one actually bothered to read, because 9/11.
Other than the super tinys, kids around here WAIT for darkness to go trick or treating. With daylight, there is no spookiness, blacklights do no good, and "haunted houses" are just, houses.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really doubt DST has anything to do with Halloween, which only a %age of Americans actually celebrate, and it is one day. It came about for schoolchildren, and farmers wanting longer hours in the fields in the evenings.
By 6:30 p.m. now I feel like getting ready for bed! It's pitch dark.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Farmers do not care about the clock. They simply work during daylight hours - except for Dairy Farmers.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Farmers do not care about the clock. They simply work during daylight hours - except for Dairy Farmers.
Not true where I grew up. Have more time to get help from the kids too, after school in the fall and spring. Of course, nowadays there are not as many family farms.
(And I mean, they preferred the evening hours rather than early morning. Of course, they will work when they can see what they are doing).

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a new car about a month ago. I was terrified when I had to change the clock in it this week. When I was a couple minutes early for an appointment, I pulled out the manual and couldn't find directions right away. I thought that I'd just google it later on when I had more time. I decided to just touch the time on the clock and it took me to another screen that had a Daylight Savings Time box checked. All I needed to do was uncheck the box. This will be easy for me every 6 months. I still have no idea how to change the time if I go to another time Zone, though. I'll guess I'll just stay put, lol

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
California voted to get rid of it last year. Congress has until the end of 2020 to decide if they will let us do it.
Just catching up with this thread. This may be what the poster intended, but just to clarify, California voted to keep DST all year, not to get rid of it. Does indeed need congressional approval.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just catching up with this thread. This may be what the poster intended, but just to clarify, California voted to keep DST all year, not to get rid of it. Does indeed need congressional approval.

I believe Florida has also passed state Legislation to keep DST all year but must be approved by the Feds.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be what the poster intended, but just to clarify, California voted to keep DST all year, not to get rid of it.

I get what the poster meant too. It's just that some people equate DST with changing of the clocks so the poster probably meant that CA voted to do away with changing of the clocks by keeping DST year-round. I guess that would mean that CA and AZ would year-round be on the same time zone.

As for here in BC where the majority of the province is in the same time zone as CA, OR, and WA, there has not been an official vote but the majority of people (from my personal observations anyway) don't really care if we stay on Standard time or Daylight time. They just want to keep it one way or the other and not change our clocks biannually. But of those people, more are preferring that we stay on Daylight time.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
some more information on the origin of Daylight Savings Time (DST) and who benefits and and who loses from time shifting

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/12/us/daylight-saving-time-farmers.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
Ha! Well, I stand corrected. I did always think it was due to farmers. The commerce aspects make sense. I am still waking up earlier than I would like, and feel like going to bed way too early. I would love it if the US could pick one or the other. But it looks pretty convoluted, and I doubt we could ever come to a consensus which way to go.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love it if the US could pick one or the other. But it looks pretty convoluted, and I doubt we could ever come to a consensus which way to go.

Yes, it does look pretty convoluted. As it sits right now, AZ and HI stay on Standard time year-round. If voters in CA, OR, and WA get their way, they would stay on Daylight time year-round. Add to that, people in WA, OR, and CA would have to remember that the rest of the country are changing their clocks biannually so they would have to remember that people they are contacting in say, NY would be three hours ahead from early November to mid-March and then four hours ahead the rest of the year. In Canada, SK stays on Standard time year-round while, if things go as suspected here, BC would stay on Daylight time year-round even though there are parts of BC right now that stay on Standard time year-round.

So eliminating the changing of the clocks would not really solve confusion as some people hope and claim.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
While I wouldn't mind Daylight Savings year round (and I still recall when that was done during the energy crisis in the 70's), having different states change on their own is something I find problematic. Would not like to see a 4 hour time span across the US due to business reasons.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually in Lanny's example above, NY would be ahead of the West Coast by 3 hours when it's on DST and only 2 hours ahead when it isn't.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Actually in Lanny's example above, NY would be ahead of the West Coast by 3 hours when it's on DST and only 2 hours ahead when it isn't.
You’re right...spring forward and stay there, relative to the rest of the country. I remove any objection I have and hope California, etc get their approval if they want it!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, you are right. That thought occurred to me some time after I posted. :doh:

But my point was eliminating the changing of the clocks biannually in some states would not totally eliminate confusion as some proponents of this might hope.