• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Valley Resort, Ohio going into forclosure- Choices??

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
No loans, all expenses are current with reported to be less than 400 remaining ACTIVE members/owners.

In your OP you stated "C) Hold on to deed and share in proceeds following court ordered sale of all assets"

What is causing a court ordeerd sale, they must owe something to someone for this to happen, no?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
In your OP you stated "C) Hold on to deed and share in proceeds following court ordered sale of all assets"

What is causing a court ordeerd sale, they must owe something to someone for this to happen, no?
If nothing else property taxes. The county sheriff sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Black Diamond

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My mis-interpretaion of the letter for Assocaition

The initial letter in it's legal mambo-gumbo language , it said about appraisal, 2/3 of appraisal as beginning bid for property as minimum and successive sale offering if less than 2/3 of value.

Sounds a lot like Sheriff auction, but the meeting made it clear that the choices would be private auctioneer or court-appointed( sheriff) Auction occurs after all legal notices are published in paper and judge settles all claims against the association from any litigants, owners or otherwise.

My mistake to react to the letter, but looks like long process that may not get resolved in 2016!! :eek:

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so alarming and distressing. May I ask if you had been reading the annual financial reports? Just wondering. I know it's easy to dummy those up, too!

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finances are fine, no loans or mortgage. Just lack of active MF paying members to keep the operation going.

ottawasquaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, you are saying that there was not enough income generated by MF to pay for the operations? This can happen to individuals who own their property outright and don't pay their taxes.
I get an annual report which states the income generated by the MF and the expenses and amounts set back to pay for future expenses - big things that don't happen annually, like a new roof and such.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one time I was thinking of picking one up for the fall. Guess I will never get the chance. Even if someone buys it, it will that two years to get straighten out.

Wonder what would be the upside and downside to buying one now, as it would be used by me.

We stayed in a cottage way in the woods. Amazing!
If the hotub was in the room, it would take up half the room.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
attached is the final report and financials regarding the apple valley closing:

Attachments

• Final Report of Apple Valley Resort Timeshare.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
105 "CURRENT" owners remained through the process of closing and court proceedings. We reaped the benefits of patience!! See the report listed in TugBrian's post above of the details, expenses of closing and court filings.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I get an error trying to follow @TUGBrian 's link: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Last edited:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Same error here

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
A $1 timeshare net me $2400+ after 20 years of ownership and use, at a reasonable annual MF. Not bad for a "Starter" resort in my own neighborhood of Ohio. I wish I could get that kind of gain in my retirement savings!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry about the link, ive attached the file directly to my post, hopefully you can download it now ive just tested it to see it works.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
$2200 for those who hung on is not a bad outcome.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Does anyone know what the new owners will do with Apple Valley?

I've done all the snooping I know to and have not found that out.

If I was 30 or 40 years younger, I would liked to have taken it on as a "full-ownership" project, selling the (duplex) condos as lake/golf/vacation/vacation rental/retirement homes.

Ohio is devoid of places like it, and it is located within a convenient drive of major metropolitan areas, not far from Amish country.

It is a beautiful area.

The buyer got 32 spacious condos for around $43000 each, plus a clubhouse, swimming pool, "resident manager's" residence, and some additional undeveloped lots, immediately next to a top-notch golf course and within the Apple Valley Lake development.

The buyer is Chippewa Lands Subdivision LLC, registered in Wadsworth, OH.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
$2200 for those who hung on is not a bad outcome.

I mean . . . that's better than paying $2200 to get rid of it.

Most of the resorts we have owned at could be sold as full-ownership condos, once the "partition" work is done.

It's about a wedge from the resort clubhouse to the golf course clubhouse. Search Apple Valley Golf Course and see how pretty that setting is.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Speaking of Boards thinking outside of the box . . . and realizing this could not be done at all resorts . . . I just got the e-newsletter from one of our (legacy) resorts saying that the value of full-ownership has been on the rise. So, they have combined some non-productive intervals into full-ownership condos, and have been able to sell them to generate funds to offset annual fee revenue losses. This is the same resort that I have been asking to offer a deedback program for ten years, and I received their offer to take our last week back recently.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Speaking of Boards thinking outside of the box . . . and realizing this could not be done at all resorts . . . I just got the e-newsletter from one of our (legacy) resorts saying that the value of full-ownership has been on the rise. So, they have combined some non-productive intervals into full-ownership condos, and have been able to sell them to generate funds to offset annual fee revenue losses. This is the same resort that I have been asking to offer a deedback program for ten years, and I received their offer to take our last week back recently.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
That might be a bit tricky if the original deeds were Fixed Unit or, at least, unit specific. Might be easier to do if all deeds were floating units. I'm sure it was also an interesting board discussion on what rights the full-share owner had to amenities?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yup, thinking out the box would mean that some re-deeding would need to be done to create a full-ownership unit. At the resort in question there always has been some full-ownership, some 1/4 shares, some 1/8 shares, and some intervals, so sharing amenities is not an issue. It would be easier to combine 1/4 and 1/8 shares into full ownership than it would be to combine intervals, but doing so has increased the value of all ownerships.

If you will read the final report on Apple Valley that Brian attached above, it is the largest lawsuit ever filed in the State of Ohio, based on the number of defendants. 1581 interests had to be "partitioned" into a marketable deed, or deeds, for all the units, the clubhouse, the swimming pool, the resident manager's condo, and some vacant properties.

By comparison, "partitioning" 50, or 8, or 4 interests into 1 would be easy peasy.

At both resorts I'm sure there have been a lot of interesting discussions the last 25 years, with the best ones being the ones that came up with these plans to resolve their problems.

As I've mentioned before, in order for these things to succeed, there has to be a real market value.

That might be a bit tricky if the original deeds were Fixed Unit or, at least, unit specific. Might be easier to do if all deeds were floating units. I'm sure it was also an interesting board discussion on what rights the full-share owner had to amenities?

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
sorry about the link, ive attached the file directly to my post, hopefully you can download it now ive just tested it to see it works.
Our timeshare is voting to dissolve, we have paid our 2019 fees, what is my best play?

Black Diamond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our timeshare is voting to dissolve, we have paid our 2019 fees, what is my best play?
Wait a year and look for paperwork of the court proceedings and then wait for two more years for the dissolved organization to distribute a settlement to all paid up owners. Wish you the best during the journey. You may be as surprised as I was to see the amount $$ I would be paid for my patience.

bbakernbay

TUG Member
Reaction score
105 "CURRENT" owners remained through the process of closing and court proceedings. We reaped the benefits of patience!! See the report listed in TugBrian's post above of the details, expenses of closing and court filings.
How many Owner Weeks were there in total, that is if all owners had paid their MFees? Reading previous posts it says 32 units at 51 weeks or thereabouts so 1,650. Sounds like only 105 hung into the end. I wonder what the MFees were in their last year?

Last edited: