• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where in the US to go in August?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for August locations. We are always bouncing around New England states all summer. I am looking for something different this year.

Two active adults and 13yo. We would be looking for a resort with enough to do on site for a few days and simple things that are within short drive for exploring. Zoos, aquariums, nature hikes, zip lines, amusement parks come to mind.

We will be in Hershey in June and have been to San Antonio and San Diego already.

Hot is ok, but not humid.

II, RCI or marriott points all usable. I get I’m late to the game with exchange companies, but I’m usually pretty good about finding those last minute deals.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am looking for suggestions for August locations. We are always bouncing around New England states all summer. I am looking for something different this year.s

Two active adults and 13yo. We would be looking for a resort with enough to do on site for a few days and simple things that are within short drive for exploring. Zoos, aquariums, nature hikes, zip lines, amusement parks come to mind.

We will be in Hershey in June and have been to San Antonio and San Diego already.

Hot is ok, but not humid.

II, RCI or marriott points all usable. I get I’m late to the game with exchange companies, but I’m usually pretty good about finding those last minute deals.
We did Gatlinburg last August and it was warm but not bad (and I don't like the heat and humidity). It cooled down in the evening to the point that the pool was a little chilly when the sun started to go down.

Ocean City, MD
Virginia Beach, VA
and the Outer Banks, NC all have enough breeze.

When you get South of the Mason Dixon, I would stick with the mountains or directly on the water.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
+1 for the Outer Banks. Great time of year to visit there.

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Lake Tahoe. Lots of great outdoor activity. We were there last year and had a great time. We especially enjoyed kayaking near Sand Harbor.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are willing to cross the Border. Vancouver Canada. Zip lining on Grouse Mountain. Also visit the Grizzly Bars on Grouse Mountain. Remember to buy your zipline ticket before you go up. The tourist office is by the Wharf. O Canada. There is an aquarium. The Chinese Garden. The world famous suspension bridge. Visit the local orca population. It might be too late to get a timeshare for this August. There are several in the city center. Rent bicycles. You don't really need a car unless you want to see the Museum or Gardens over by UBC.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you are willing to cross the Border. Vancouver Canada. Zip lining on Grouse Mountain. Also visit the Grizzly Bars on Grouse Mountain. Remember to buy your zipline ticket before you go up. The tourist office is by the Wharf. O Canada. There is an aquarium. The Chinese Garden. The world famous suspension bridge. Visit the local orca population. It might be too late to get a timeshare for this August. There are several in the city center. Rent bicycles. You don't really need a car unless you want to see the Museum or Gardens over by UBC.
+1 on this suggestion. Our younger dd went to UBC and we visited her several times. Love it up there. We did always have a rental,car, but our dd got around by walking or taking the bus. The anthrpology museum at IBC is well worth the visit.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think Alaska and Vancouver would be awesome too but I think 0% chance of a timeshare exchange this August using any of the points or systems the OP has available. Tahoe and East coast beach would need a bit of luck but the chances are above 0.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Drive to Quebec / Laurentian area north of Montreal
May be late / try an OGS

RCI 2272 / 6957 - Mount Tremblant
RCI 2040 /0467/2189 St Hippolyte

Can visit Montreal for the day from either area .

Montreal Allouettes are at home for CFL football
Friday Aug 2 7pm
Friday Aug 9 7pm

Last edited:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you really go to San Antonio in August? The Texas Folk Life Festival use to be in August, but it was just so darn hot that they eventually moved it to early June I think. We loved Montreal and Vancouver.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Lake Tahoe. Lots of great outdoor activity. We were there last year and had a great time. We especially enjoyed kayaking near Sand Harbor.

We went to Lake Tahoe for a week in August but after two days of solid wind and rain and the forecast to remain the same we upped sticks and rented a house with a pool in Lodi for the remainder of the week. I wouldn't go back.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Lodi?? Really? There's gotta be a story in that. Anyway, rain in Tahoe in August is pretty unusual.

Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. Glacier National Park? (Yellowstone will be jammed.) The Utah red-rock parks will be hot but probably meet your requests.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The OP said she wanted to stay at a resort. I am assuming she means a timeshare resort. If she goes south from New England it will be hot and humid and also hurricane season (and rainy).

Not sure if she wants to do air travel. But certainly going north would be best in August. How about a timeshare resort in the Midwest? What about western/upstate NY? Canada? The Pacific Northwest?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Park City, Utah at Marriott's Mountainside.

Pools, hiking, mountain biking, ziplines, etc

HikerBiker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trapp Family Lodge, Hillcrest Inn, The Village Green
Marathoner has a great suggestion; we have been to the Mountainside 3 times and the Summit 2 times. Lots to do in the area and Olympic Park is fun and interesting. We mostly hike but have taken trips into Salt Lake City sponsored by the resorts for a minimal fee. Have also visited Homestead Crater Mineral Dome twice (you can swim, scuba dive, or snorkel). The first was a resort sponsored trip and the second time we went on our own. Both resorts sponsor a variety of activities for all ages, some free and some with reasonable fees. We have been in May, July, and September. I would go as late in August as you’re able. Afternoons can be warm, but temps cool down at night so the mornings are great for outdoor activities. Park City is only about 30 miles from the airport which we also like. We are flexible for traveling but both Marriotts seem to usually have availability, especially in off peak seasons.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you have RCI just do a search of what’s available sometimes good stuff pops up.
Good Luck and let us know where you choose to go?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
You might get a somewhat last minute into whispering woods in welches OR. Easier to get than w Canada in summer. Great weather and tons to do including glacier skiing at my hood.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How about the Rockies in Colorado? We visited in summer and stayed in Grandy.
Rocky Mountain National Park - the west side especially - was spectacular!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying right at home in Idaho in August. It might get a little hotter in the afternoons than most folks would like, but just right for a siesta. The mountains are perfect, the rivers are great for running, the fish are fattening up, so readily take a well presented fly. Not a lot of timeshares, but that just makes it better for the locals and those willing to search it out.

Y'all keep your humidity and crowds at the beach. We'll be fine out here.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
How about Santa Fe? It will be hot, but it's dry heat. The Indian Market is in August. There is hiking, museums, great restaurants, and for your 13 year old (and you)......Meow Wolf.
https://meowwolf.com/

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Lodi?? Really? There's gotta be a story in that. Anyway, rain in Tahoe in August is pretty unusual.

That was my thought but I wasn't prepared to see the week out and hope for an improvement despite the forecast. As for Lodi, we were frantically searching for somewhere warm and sunny to stay, we had already been to San Francisco and travelled down to Sequioa and rented a house near there before making the journey up to Tahoe so we wanted to be reasonably close to SF for the return journey home. Unfortunately we were struggling to find somewhere that fitted the bill at such short notice until we found the house in Lodi. It was actually a very nice house, situated in a vineyard (the owners owned their own winery and produced some fantastic wines) with its own pool. Lodi itself was a bit meh but it was a place to relax by the pool for a few days after spending the previous couple of weeks touring and exploring so the location wasn't too important. As it turned out, the day after our arrival I developed acute appendicitis, was rushed to hospital, operated on and spent the remainder of my holiday in hospital.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All! I have been researching your suggestions.

Outbanks NC/Tennessee - I assumed since south of us the humidity would be nasty, so it wasn't even on my radar.
Alaska would be nice, one of my favorite vacations so far, but won't fit this trips budget.
Tahoe - very good possibility. DH and I were married in Lake Tahoe and it would be fun to go back to the area!
Pacific NW - another good idea. My brother just moved to Washington state. I can see availability in OR

A lot of New England ski resorts have done a great job converting their mountains over to summer fun destinations. I was thinking the mountains out west may have done the same, but I'm really not finding anything that reflects that. Flights to Denver are easy and priced very low.

The research continues!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks All! I have been researching your suggestions.

Outbanks NC/Tennessee - I assumed since south of us the humidity would be nasty, so it wasn't even on my radar.
Alaska would be nice, one of my favorite vacations so far, but won't fit this trips budget.
Tahoe - very good possibility. DH and I were married in Lake Tahoe and it would be fun to go back to the area!
Pacific NW - another good idea. My brother just moved to Washington state. I can see availability in OR

A lot of New England ski resorts have done a great job converting their mountains over to summer fun destinations. I was thinking the mountains out west may have done the same, but I'm really not finding anything that reflects that. Flights to Denver are easy and priced very low.

The research continues!

If you haven't been to RMNP I think you would really like it. 1.5 hours from Denver airport. If you can get into a timeshare nearby that would be awesome. Rams Horn Resort is wonderful and right by the gate (but hard to get into- we had to rent and it was $$) and they have free bike rentals and games for the kids, decent pools and hot tub, fire pits, small and very homey, right near Estes Park- where there is a water park and the YMCA of the Rockies. Wildlife come right onto the property- the elk and so forth.

When you arrive they have a free, nice intimate wine and cheese (and some hot food) social gathering on a Saturday night for families and on Sunday morning they have an all you can eat $3.00 waffle breakfast- with more than waffles- eggs, cereal, etc.

Not to mention in the national park there are lots of free ranger programs- some geared for kids and families. Just a wonderful, experience.

With the exception of the flights and the resort and car rental, we barely spent any money. There are two grocery stores- one very close to the resort. Lots of shops and restaurants, ice cream shops, bakeries, movie theater, etc. if you so desire. There is a paved bike/walking trail right in town around the lake.

We toured the Stanley Hotel in town and went to a good old fashioned cowboy dinner/music show at the LazyB. Great entertainment for the whole family.

You can essentially stay put in Estes Park once you arrive there.

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
thank Mary Ann - but what is RMNP?