• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just purchased at Hilton leaving in a day an a half HELP!!

Question please

• Rescind

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • Explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Hello everyone thank goodness I found this website I am leaving Hawaii in a day and a half and would like to know if I should rescind my contract and what I need to do. I am new to all of this but the salesman was wayyyy to nice. I signed the contract on 2/28/2019.... I have 5 days correct? But do I need to go talk to them??? HELP PLEASE! Honestly i payed 5500.00 for a studio at the Elara Vegas didn’t think that was much but after reading a lot of negative comments don’t k ow what I should do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
Hi,

I'm a new member to TUG, just now. I discovered this forum too late to rescind my purchase from the developer back in Sept of 2018, but decided I will make the most of it and enjoy it. The HGVC system is actually quite nice.

In your case, if you skim through the contract, there will be a clause that tells you how much time you have to rescind. All you need to do is follow that clause to the tee. My second purchase (that I did just to shut the saleslady up), I rescinded on day 3 of 10 (this was FL). All you need to do is send a typed letter stating you are exercising your legal right to rescind contract ###### and that they should refund the down payment to your original form of payment. Send that USPS certified mail (or whichever one gives you proof that you sent it out). The postmark date is all that matters. You'll get your money back within 3 weeks usually.

Look through resale to see if there's one you can buy much cheaper.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Do _not_ talk to them! They do _not_ process rescissions. You must mail them a letter (certified, return receipt is best). Instructions are in your contract. Follow them eggsactly as written. The letter must identify the contract (a copy of page 1 may be added) and all persons who's name is on the contract must sign it.

If they try to talk to you, it's only to get you to change your mind. If you do, just tell them your mind is made-up. <click>. There's no need to be "nice" about it. Return any materials they gave you after posting the letter.

HGVC will do the right thing and return your $$ in 2-4 weeks. Apart from their sales-weasels, they are a member-friendly company. They treat resale buyers well. Resale will not count toward elite status, but that is a minor thing.

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Do _not_ talk to them! They do _not_ process rescissions. You must mail them a letter (certified, return receipt is best). Instructions are in your contract. Follow them eggsactly as written. The letter must identify the contract (a copy of page 1 may be added) and all persons who's name is on the contract must sign it.

If they try to talk to you, it's only to get you to change your mind. If you do, just tell them your mind is made-up. <click>. There's no need to be "nice" about it. Return any materials they gave you after posting the letter.

HGVC will do the right thing and return your $$ in 2-4 weeks. Apart from their sales-weasels, they are a member-friendly company. They treat resale buyers well. Resale will not count toward elite status, but that is a minor thing.
Thank you!!!! :)

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton

Thank you!!!
Hi,

I'm a new member to TUG, just now. I discovered this forum too late to rescind my purchase from the developer back in Sept of 2018, but decided I will make the most of it and enjoy it. The HGVC system is actually quite nice.

In your case, if you skim through the contract, there will be a clause that tells you how much time you have to rescind. All you need to do is follow that clause to the tee. My second purchase (that I did just to shut the saleslady up), I rescinded on day 3 of 10 (this was FL). All you need to do is send a typed letter stating you are exercising your legal right to rescind contract ###### and that they should refund the down payment to your original form of payment. Send that USPS certified mail (or whichever one gives you proof that you sent it out). The postmark date is all that matters. You'll get your money back within 3 weeks usually.

Look through resale to see if there's one you can buy much cheaper.

Are weekends counted or weekdays also? I have 7 days to rescind but not sure if 7 biz days....

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
What is the point value of the contract and is it every year or every other year. Did they include any other bonuses with this purchase?

Elara is a very nice resort.
I am definitely confused.... what did I get myself into? I don’t think I understand much of this timeshare. I know it is every other year. They gave me 1600 points plus 3200 extra every other year.

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I still don’t understand what every other year means. I asked them and they said oh that doesn’t really mean anything you can pay a room. Can you try explaining how this truly works please? Thank YOU!!!

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
You definitely need to submit rescission now. That point value is too low and will be hard to get rid of/sell if you decide to leave HGVC.

Every other year means you get points every other year, not every year. Your maintenance fees are every other year but you still have to pay club dues every year

There are 100% of people recommending rescission. Rescind now and learn about program after. Plenty of time to learn. Read and reread the stickys on this forum about HGVC

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
You definitely need to submit rescission now. That point value is too low and will be hard to get rid of/sell if you decide to leave HGVC.

Every other year means you get points every other year, not every year. Your maintenance fees are every other year but you still have to pay club dues every year
Thank you very much!!! I mainly need to do it because it seems I don’t understand any of this. Will need to research more and perhaps buy in the future. What are club dues? And would you know if weekends are counted? I have 7 days to rescind but not sure if it’s business days. Thank you again.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I am definitely confused.... what did I get myself into? I don’t think I understand much of this timeshare. I know it is every other year. They gave me 1600 points plus 3200 extra every other year.
Even though the price you paid for that is not much, definitely rescind. 1600 points EOY is a horrible contract and it will severely limit your uses of the system. Rescind, and then stick around here, ask questions, and see if HGVC (bought resale, of course) will really work for you. I never recommend starting with less than 4800 points every year.

Kurt

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Even though the price you paid for that is not much, definitely rescind. 1600 points EOY is a horrible contract and it will severely limit your uses of the system. Rescind, and then stick around here, ask questions, and see if HGVC (bought resale, of course) will really work for you. I never recommend starting with less than 4800 points every year.

Kurt
Thank you soooo much Kurt I will rescind the contract. Also would you know if 7 days are 7 business days to rescind or 7 days period including weekends? I signed the contract on February 28. Thank you again.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thank you soooo much Kurt I will rescind the contract. Also would you know if 7 days are 7 business days to rescind or 7 days period including weekends? I signed the contract on February 28. Thank you again.
I don't have a definitive answer -- if I were you, I would get in mailed off by 7 calendar days just to be on the safe side.

Kurt

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
grats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save thousands!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Bella60657 Welcome to TUG. Congrats on finding TUG in time.

Suggest that you mail rescission in HI if possible because there was a recent issue with a TUGger who planned to mail from home but couldn't get their rescission mailed in time because their plane from HI was rerouted and delayed by a day due to weather. Although it worked out for them it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 7 CALENDAR days from Hawaiii. Day 1 is the day AFTER the contract is signed. But please don't use ALL of them. Unexpected delays can and do happen. Then with your money back safely where it belongs, we will be happy to answers your questions truthfully. We have nothing to gain either way.

Our paramount thing= Buy Resale- Save Thou$and$!

Jim

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
T
It's 7 CALENDAR days from Hawaiii. Day 1 is the day AFTER the contract is signed. But please don't use ALL of them. Unexpected delays can and do happen. Then with your money back safely where it belongs, we will be happy to answers your questions truthfully. We have nothing to gain either way.

Our paramount thing= Buy Resale- Save Thou$and$!

Jim
Thank you.... does it need to be typed? What does it need to say? Sorry son new to this. Thanks

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
T

Thank you.... does it need to be typed? What does it need to say? Sorry son new to this. Thanks
Sorry for the delay. It can be hand written. The letter does not need to be fancy and legalese. Something like:
On (date) I, We bought a timeshare. We want to exercise our right to cancel and rescind this purchase. The contract number is________. (You really should include a COPY of The signature page for ID purposes.

Signature____________Husband
Signature____________Wife

As long as the dates are within the allowable range, you're all good. You stated who you are and what you want from them. No reason need be stated for the rescission.

They are an honorable outfit and will process your few mission without delay. Still, it can take several weeks to get the refund, and there is no requirement that they keep you informed.

Jim

Allow me to add, consider mailing it USPS Certified w/return receipt so you'll know when it is received and who signed for it.

Last edited:

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to the post office today if still open. Send certified. Take pictures.

Hilton has one of the best timeshare systems overall but you got taken advantage of. Ask all the questions you want after you have this letter sent.

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Sorry for the delay. It can be hand written. The letter does not need to be fancy and legalese. Something like:
On (date) I, We bought a timeshare. We want to exercise our right to cancel and rescind this purchase. The contract number is________. (You really should include a COPY of The signature page for ID purposes.

Signature____________Husband
Signature____________Wife

As long as the dates are within the allowable range, you're all good. You stated who you are and what you want from them. No reason need be stated for the rescission.

They are an honorable outfit and will process your few mission without delay. Still, it can take several weeks to get the refund, and there is no requirement that they keep you informed.

Jim

Allow me to add, consider mailing it USPS Certified w/return receipt so you'll know when it is received and who signed for it.
You are great thank you so much

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
T
Go to the post office today if still open. Send certified. Take pictures.

Hilton has one of the best timeshare systems overall but you got taken advantage of. Ask all the questions you want after you have this letter sent.
tha j you so much you are great I will go!

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, HGVC is a great program, but buying resale is the way to go. You can easily get a 4800 platinum contract (every year) for less than what you spent on that one. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with that, and it should be a lot easier to sell when you decide you no longer need it. If you like the idea of buying into HGVC, read up some more so you have a better understanding of how it works. If you decide it's the one you want, you should easily be able to get a good deal on the resale market that you will be significantly happier with.

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
Yeah, HGVC is a great program, but buying resale is the way to go. You can easily get a 4800 platinum contract (every year) for less than what you spent on that one. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with that, and it should be a lot easier to sell when you decide you no longer need it. If you like the idea of buying into HGVC, read up some more so you have a better understanding of how it works. If you decide it's the one you want, you should easily be able to get a good deal on the resale market that you will be significantly happier with.
Thank you for your help and input!

Bella60657

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
I am about to send the letter before I head out to the airport. I must return bag, book and documents that were given to me?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am about to send the letter before I head out to the airport. I must return bag, book and documents that were given to me?
You probably should. But it isn't worth going to the sales room. At this point, I'd hang onto it in case they try to charge you for it. If your money comes back first, then pitch it. Obviously keep anything with your name on it.