• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Recision

Max Mishler

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've spent the past couple hours going through forum posts and am very thankful to this site for the info provided. Here's my brief story and question...

We toured Wyndham Worldmark today in Myrtle Beach (we live here) for the sole purpose of getting a free RCI week to use. It was a great incentive to go to the presentation even though we had zero intention of buying anything.

After an extremely long day we ended up purchasing 6000 credits for around 15K. We ended up putting the $1600 down payment on a brand new Amex that had a zero balance on it. We were initially promised an additional 6000 credits and two RCI weeks (in the form of RCI Extra Vacation Certificates that expire in one year). However, the manager said the system was glitching and he couldn't get us the extra 6000 credits so instead, we walked away with 4 of the RCI Certificates.

So, I'm pretty clear on the recision process and will be doing that first thing Monday morning. My question is about the incentives and the Fire tablet. Should I send the RCI Certificates and tablet back to the actual place where we did the presentation or the Florida recision address? Or should we hang on to them until we see that the recision has taken place. We have no desire/plan to keep any of it other than the week we were promised for taking the tour. (Which we already received via email).

Thanks in advance!

Max

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd put a line in the rescission letter asking where they want the tablet and promotional material. They may just say to keep it. But at least you are giving them the option. Send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt.

Congratulations on your decision.

Jim

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The RCI week for attending the presentation is clearly yours to keep. The incentives they have given you for buying they do have the right to reclaim. But from multiple posts on TUG from people who rescinded, I have yet to read one where they held up the recession or demanded them back. Jim's advice above is how I would handle it.

Last edited:

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took all of our things back to the sales office. We dropped it off at the front desk also with a copy of our rescission letter and refused to speak to anyone and walked out.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We took all of our things back to the sales office. We dropped it off at the front desk also with a copy of our rescission letter and refused to speak to anyone and walked out.

Not trying to be difficult here, but your action did bring the following question to mind - what proof do you have that you actually submitted the recision - did anyone in the office sign for the items you returned? If it were necessary (which I sincerely hope it is not) to prove you submitted a recision letter, how could you do so?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the questions may be moot if the contract provided a specific address(es) to send the recession to and the resort and/or resort sales office is not one of them. The fate of the recession letter maybe in the hands of Wyndham on weather to honor it or not.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Not trying to be difficult here, but your action did bring the following question to mind - what proof do you have that you actually submitted the recision - did anyone in the office sign for the items you returned? If it were necessary (which I sincerely hope it is not) to prove you submitted a recision letter, how could you do so?

I could be wrong, but I took the use of the word “copy” to mean that they sent the original letter to the proper address through trackable mail, and just a copy with the items returned to the sales office.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I could be wrong, but I took the use of the word “copy” to mean that they sent the original letter to the proper address through trackable mail, and just a copy with the items returned to the sales office.

I too hope that is the case, Paxsarah. As an aside, where do you own at Wyndham Pagosa (which village)? Teal Landing or elsewhere?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Teal Landing. Never been, though!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Teal Landing. Never been, though!
I can tell you from first hand experience that Teal Landing is nice. For some reason, my review of our stay there is no longer in the reviews section of TUG but we definitely enjoyed our stay in a 2BR unit. Lots to do in the area - hiking is a big thing for us and we were able to get our fill of hiking during our last stay.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score

We dropped off our device at the office and told them that we were rescinding. They refused to accept that we were resciding (but they did take back the device.) I already knew that there would be a USPS rescission, an overnight FedEx rescission, and an email rescission. The resort just let the contract go through and it took five weeks to get my account back to normal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so happy you found us in time to save 15k!

Max Mishler

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. We're sending out 2 rescission letters in the morning via certified mail with return receipt. They list both a regular physical address and a PO Box in the contract so we figured we'd send duplicate rescission letters to both addresses. As far as the RCI Certificates that were part of the sales incentive and the Kindle Tablet, I'll wait and see what their response is before sending back as we put that request into the letter as was suggested above. I have no plans to ever step foot in that sales office again. I did feel slightly bad for our sales agent as he texted us this afternoon to see "how our day was" but I realize we are just a number to all of them and will never be thought about again once they realize we rescinded and are not buying. (No, I did not return the text LOL) It's that same feeling that is partially responsible for people buying in the first place... Again, thanks to all for the advice here!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Job, Max. That oughtta cover all the bases. Let us know if we can give any more timeshare guidance.

Jim

Abaker521

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new here and wasn’t sure where to post this:

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone offering advice on this site. My wife and I recently purchased a timeshare with Westgate in Gatlinburg. We were there from 9:30 to 4:30 with both of our small children on the second to last day of our vacation. Within an hour of leaving (and finally getting some food) I snapped back to reality and began researching my options for getting rid of the timeshare. I quickly stumbled across this website and was filled with relief. We mailed our rescission letter the following day.

We are now getting phone calls every couple of days saying that they need to talk to us so they can process the refund. We have not answered per the advice we received here at TUG. I’m just assuming that it must have worked since they are calling us. I hope you all have a great day and thanks for saving us from a nightmare!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yaaaah for you! Yaaaah for your bank account! Booooo for sales weasels!