• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Grand Vacations Announces New Development In Waikiki

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
However in (admitted infrequent) checking, I'm not seeing this same trend at the NYC locations. A little inventory, but not much.

Cheers.

There are probably way fewer HGVC members who can easily get to Oahu at 45 days than NYC though. So whatever is left at 45 days is probably more likely to last. Also, this will probably come in at higher points. So I could see some folks who buy here wanting to try to stretch points by staying at the lower point towers at Hilton Hawaiian Village when available, especially Lagoon.

One pro of this model I can see is that its better for people who can't plan in advance. There are folks who know they want to go on a vacation, but can't nail the week down a year out. Something like this might make sense, because I bet availability at 5-6 months out will be pretty good for most weeks.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
However in (admitted infrequent) checking, I'm not seeing this same trend at the NYC locations. A little inventory, but not much.

Cheers.
One thing working for me is you can't drive here on spur of the moment trips. Airfare bought so 4 to 8 weeks before flying is usually higher, so that would likely work in my favor. I like hokulani as i do not use the resort and this appeals to me. Price to park my vehicle does not though.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
HGVC announced the 6th timeshare project in the Waikiki area. It will be a 32 story tower with 191 units at King's Village. I understand that redevelopment project was planned but not easily realized. It looks like a bit of surprise that HGVC bought the land. They kept the same strategy - strategic dominance. Multiple resorts in one place. The new tower may not be as gorgeous as Ritz but will require the point level of Grand Islander, I assume. Completion will be 2022. I may try at the early stage.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Has been posted a few days ago on another thread. Scroll down and you should see it.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder why they keep putting them there, and nothing in Maui. Being a starwood owner also its great to have all these options now though with starwood having 3 on maui.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last summer we stayed at the Lagoon Tower and we also stayed at the Hokulani. We switched from the Big Island because of the erupting volcano. Staying smack dab in the middle of all the action was fun and I can see the appeal. But truthfully no other HGVC Hawaii tower beats the Lagoon tower. Which is the reason why the Lagoon Tower is the first to be booked at 9 months out, and why people get up in the middle of the night over the course of many nights to complete their reservation.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am here in Oahu now (staying at Marriott Ko Olina) and we visited Waikiki earlier in the week. We walked past this property and I really like it’s location. It’s primary issue (for me) is that it is not ocean-front (nor is Hokulani) but it is very well located. It’s an easy one block walk to a great part of Waikiki beach (shorter than Hokulani) and is in the heart of Waikiki. I think Hokulani has easier access to excellent shopping, but this isn’t much farther. I do think this will be a very successful property, however I don’t see me staying there. If nothing else, this will reduce the demand pressure on the HHV properties that I seek as others value the intangible qualities of the new property.

Best,

Greg

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@GregT Since this will be a high rise, do you think it will have direct ocean views from the Lanai? or will it be blocked by the buildings in front of the beach?

If it has a great ocean view, it might be better than some of the back-end properties of HHV (e.g. Grand Waikikian, Grand Islander) because the building is closer to the beach. (albeit without the HHV resort vibe.)

Since this is bHC, one could reserve a hotel room or HHV and cancel if there is availability at this property at 44 days. I imagine that there might be more availability because many mainland HGVC owners would not opt for this given the 44 day rule and it will take a while to sell the units to owners. Could be a way to get a nice oceanfront during peak unless the points values are staggering.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most of the views will be blocked by the hotel tower that sits directly in front of this parcel. Closer to the beach than Hokulani is situated. Parcel is right across the street from the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. The site for the bHC is the former Kings Village if you want to look it up on a map.

I figure the point stays will be the same higher point requirements like the other bHC properties.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
This looks like a pretty good location for "urban resort" in Hawaii.. I could possibly see myself staying here as one stop on a longer Hawaii trip.

I am not sure i would buy here, but there are starting to be enough bHC locations that i will take a better look at benefits you get if you own at one of these.

The higher buy in cost for bHC makes ownership expensive unless it gives you something you really want like NYC or Washington DC. As far as exchanging in; it will be more points than a regular HGVC resort, and you will not be able to use cash for Open Season unless you are an owner. Also, the cash cost for Open Season will be higher than other Open Season booking if the rates are like NYC.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The higher buy in cost for bHC makes ownership expensive unless it gives you something you really want like NYC or Washington DC. As far as exchanging in; it will be more points than a regular HGVC resort, and you will not be able to use cash for Open Season unless you are an owner. Also, the cash cost for Open Season will be higher than other Open Season booking if the rates are like NYC.

Agreed. With a fair amount of property already in Oahu, it remains to be seen whether the new property brings enough uniqueness in location/amenities/etc. to garner the higher buy-in price in a location where lower prices are already available. As you say- in NYC or DC bHC is your only HGVC option. Not so Oahu.

Cheers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
@GregT Since this will be a high rise, do you think it will have direct ocean views from the Lanai? or will it be blocked by the buildings in front of the beach?

If it has a great ocean view, it might be better than some of the back-end properties of HHV (e.g. Grand Waikikian, Grand Islander) because the building is closer to the beach. (albeit without the HHV resort vibe.)

Since this is bHC, one could reserve a hotel room or HHV and cancel if there is availability at this property at 44 days. I imagine that there might be more availability because many mainland HGVC owners would not opt for this given the 44 day rule and it will take a while to sell the units to owners. Could be a way to get a nice oceanfront during peak unless the points values are staggering.

The view will definitely be impacted because of the two Hyatt Regency towers, however there should be enough development opportunity (and space between the two Hyatt towers) for Marriott to be able to secure some view plane. We will see and I think this is an interesting addition.

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Agreed. With a fair amount of property already in Oahu, it remains to be seen whether the new property brings enough uniqueness in location/amenities/etc. to garner the higher buy-in price in a location where lower prices are already available. As you say- in NYC or DC bHC is your only HGVC option. Not so Oahu.

Cheers.

I think they are banking on two things with this property.

1. Enticing prospective and current owners to buy/trade up to a bHC property they can get an advantageous booking window. Having a 365 days to 60 days advantage to book for peak seasons is huge for some people, especially those that have a hard time being able to book nine months out.
  2. It also gives the Asian customers a closer bHC resort. They are already selling a bHC spa in Japan and they might want another bHC to sell.

This is all about bHC getting a Hawaii resort and giving owners an exclusive booking window.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
All hotel and Timeshare properties on Oahu are hot, but Waikiki demand just keeps going up the most. Effective August 1st, 80 percent of Air BnB properties are shut down and now anyone that wants to stay on Oahu will need to book hotels or timeshares. Most tourist that go to Waikiki don’t rent cars and stay there for the shopping, dining, booking tours and being able to spend time next to the ocean. So the new Hilton tower will be fine. It is in the middle of all the activity where there is lots to do. That is not for everyone and more people will start going to other islands because Oahu will be more expensive and too crowded. The Mayor was pushed by union lobbyist to shutdown Air BnB so that hotels workers would have better job security and higher wages. I just hope it doesn’t hurt the economy when 1000s of people stop visiting Oahu because prices are going up.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That artist's rendering shows it will have quite a bit of ocean view. Just the ends will be blocked and that can be sold as partial depending on the floor.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
All hotel and Timeshare properties on Oahu are hot, but Waikiki demand just keeps going up the most. Effective August 1st, 80 percent of Air BnB properties are shut down and now anyone that wants to stay on Oahu will need to book hotels or timeshares. Most tourist that go to Waikiki don’t rent cars and stay there for the shopping, dining, booking tours and being able to spend time next to the ocean. So the new Hilton tower will be fine. It is in the middle of all the activity where there is lots to do. That is not for everyone and more people will start going to other islands because Oahu will be more expensive and too crowded. The Mayor was pushed by union lobbyist to shutdown Air BnB so that hotels workers would have better job security and higher wages. I just hope it doesn’t hurt the economy when 1000s of people stop visiting Oahu because prices are going up.

Plenty of room for all y'all on the Big Island. It's big :)

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Plenty of room for all y'all on the Big Island. It's big :)

Cheers.

Shhh, don't tell anyone about the Big island... don't want it to get crowded..

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
3741380b4b25e066b19a8db9dca6097e.jpg

There’s your ocean view. It will be in the middle of those two towers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The Waikiki project building has been named. Sales are expected to begin in mid 2020.

It appears that the building will have Club rooms in addition to bHC:

Ka Haku by Hilton Grand Vacations
Ka Haku Nui by Hilton Club

upload_2019-10-12_10-57-50.png

Last edited:

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I think as long as they continue building regular HGVC resorts and keeping the bHC more hotel like and not resorts, I think they will be fine.

As a member of Tug, you know this. Does the average owner? Much like the sales weasels sell the conversion to Hilton Honors points, I'm sure they sell them on the differences in the reservation windows.

There is no question in my mind that the conversion factor from HGVC points to HHonors points is poor. It is perhaps the least economical use of HGVC points other than not using them. However, due to an illness in our family, I was unable to use a year of my a HGVC points. They were converted to HHONORS points which never expire. We have redeemed them for a 5 day stay at The Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort this year and for a 5 day stay at The Rome Cavalieri for next year and we still have plenty of a HHONORS points left over. I have only made this conversion once in almost 20 years with HGVC and I hope that I never have to do it again, but, it has worked out well given the circumstances.