• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Valdoro summer booking "home week"

Will booking a high-demand summer week be a problem at the 12 month window?

• Absolutely no problem at all, have never had/heard of an owner at Valdoro having one for home week

• Slight (maybe 1/10) chance there is a problem

• You will probably be ok (maybe 1/4 chance of not getting the week you want)

• 50/50 chance or worse, unless you are on the website the minute booking opens

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(searching for HGVC resale 5.8-8.4k, preferably Valdoro)
I am looking into buying one of the Valdoro "summer platinum" units which gives a 12 month window to book during the non-ski season platinum weeks.

I figure if this was ever a problem I would have read about angry owners but for my own peace of mind I just have to ask this:

Is it virtually guaranteed if booking right at the 12 month window to get whatever week you want (in your owned unit of course). Even 4th of July week, Labor Day week, Memorial Day week, etc? What about a few days or a week after the window opens? How about 11 or even 10 months out (still before the 9 month window for everyone from other properties)?

Just thinking if, for example, a bunch of 2br+ owners want to go on 4th of July week, its possible it could book up in a matter of minutes like a Rolling Stones concert. And I don't love the idea of worrying about being online at midnight EST and refreshing a web page every 5 seconds, just to use something I own how I want to (and are supposedly entitled to) use it.

I put a poll on this but fee free to offer commentary as well.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I was already to jump on "no problem" for summer weeks until I saw the list. So I will elaborate, summer weeks do fill up but I can only book at 9-month mark (I do own a 3-bd ski week). There is good availability, if you book early at 9-month mark. But for the holiday weeks such as 4th of July, I would still think that you should be OK. Currently, there isn't any availability now (too late in the game). There is availability in 2 & 3-bd now for Labor day. There also isn't currently any availability now for Memorial Day week (too late in the game).

I would think that you would be fine with no problem if you owned home week during summertime. But you will need to book early in your window for best selection.

I will actually be there for the 3 time this ski season, this coming Saturday. I will ask the front desk during my visit to see what their thoughts are.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I will actually be there for the 3 time this ski season, this coming Saturday.
Have fun, and enjoy the hot tub! ;) We were there again over President's Day weekend and had some great skiing.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We were there again over President's Day weekend and had some great skiing

Wait, I was also there over President's Day weekend.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You mentioned a 2BR+ later in your post so I'm guessing you are looking to buy that unit (a 2BR+)? There are only 6 in the building so that's a gem. We own EOY during ski season so we always grab it right at the 12-month mark. As long as you're on your computer at midnight EST at 12 months you'll always be able to get what you want.

My question about the 2BR+ unit is just to make sure that's what you're actually buying. For the 12-month home week booking you can only book in the same type unit you own. So if you don't buy a 2BR+ you can only book it at 9 months. Which is pretty tough for any ski week or summer holiday/peak week.

Jeremy

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I did check with the front desk when I checked in yesterday. They did say that 4th of July is the busiest booking for summer months. So really not sure if you would need to be up at mid-night at 12-month mark in order to book. I know for winter skiing, I don’t book exactly at midnight at 12-month mark. But, then I can be somewhat flexible too.

IMO, I think Valdoro has some of the highest MFs in the HGVC system. I really don’t know why. But, I really like Valdoro both for winter skiing and summer months too. I also really like the town of Breckenridge. I also am a believer in owning where you like to go. Summer points and winter points are the same season, both platinum. Just my thoughts.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Summer points and winter points are the same season, both platinum.
While summer and winter are both Platinum season, Valdoro sold deeds that separate those two seasons. An owner of a Platinum summer week does not have the 12-month Home booking preference for winter weeks. They also sold some winter Platinum weeks, as well as fixed winter weeks. There are some unique deeds out there for Valdoro.

I just wanted to clarify, as someone may have assumed that owning a summer week would get them priority for a ski week.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thanks for clarifying @PigsDad. Yes, that of course is true. There is summer platinum season and winter platinum season. I, for example with winter platinum season, can not make a home week booking during the summer platinum season. My point actually is that the points requirements for both winter and summer seasons are actually the same since they are platinum season. I also agree that Valdoro has some unique deeds. I know that there are many fixed week winter ski week with a floating summer week. Those deeds pay 2 weeks of MFs.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Also if anyone is looking to rent a booking they have in Valdoro this summer, please let me know!

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Thanks for clarifying @PigsDad. Yes, that of course is true. There is summer platinum season and winter platinum season. I, for example with winter platinum season, can not make a home week booking during the summer platinum season. My point actually is that the points requirements for both winter and summer seasons are actually the same since they are platinum season. I also agree that Valdoro has some unique deeds. I know that there are many fixed week winter ski week with a floating summer week. Those deeds pay 2 weeks of MFs.

Just a little confused but it sounds like they did indeed sell some unique deeds there. My understanding is that if you have a property where you can get a "home week", let's assume winter ski season at Valdoro, you were "guaranteed" your unit that week as long as you booked it as required (what is it a year in advance)? My brother has a "home week" at 57th St. for instance and as I recall he can do this. I own at HCNYC and there are no "home weeks".

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
No one ever said the HGVC system was simple.
I've been a member for 10+ years, and still learning new stuff
... or is that stuff I've forgotten.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
My understanding is that if you have a property where you can get a "home week", let's assume winter ski season at Valdoro, you were "guaranteed" your unit that week as long as you booked it as required (what is it a year in advance)?

Yes, It is like most home week reservations for the club, between 12-months and 9-months.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
No one ever said the HGVC system was simple.
I've been a member for 10+ years, and still learning new stuff
... or is that stuff I've forgotten.
Talent, coming from you that says a lot. I consider you the HGVC Guru...LOL

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah the problem starts when you want a hot week (4th of July) at a popular, smaller size resort (Valdoro). Properties where its pretty much nice weather all year and there are a lot of units (like Vegas and Florida, which may in fact account for over 70-80% of the units in the total HGVC owned or operated system) probably never have this problem.

Maybe I am being anal but I have realized I may have to pay a premium over an Orlando unit in order to go to Valdoro when we want to go. Part of the reason for that premium is that we need more points there to get a 2BR or 2BR+ (7-8.4k vs 5k for Orlando) and part of it is that there is just less of these for sale so it seems more unusual the need to list them for cheap like I have seen Orlando units (lost two in ROFR).

So yeah, if I am going to actually have to lay out $6-9k+ acquisition costs in the first year:
A. I better be able to go whenever I want, during my "home week" as long as I make a reasonable but not stressful amount of effort/planning and
B. We may want to rent there first and decide if we love it so much

Otherwise it would be way cheaper to just "buy points" like a lot of y'all do, and as I just said we probably only need 5-5.8k points instead of 7-8.4k points if we don't need to afford a full home week in Valdoro which is more expensive than many others in points/night or week , all else being equal. Plus if we want to get a larger unit or at a more expensive resort we can just do 4-5 nights instead starting on a Monday. The whole catch with home team advantage is you have to use it at your home resort, in your home unit, during your home season, for a full WEEK... or else you get in line at 9 months with the huddled masses LOL. That last one is what annoys me... wish I could use my 12 month window to maybe do 4-5 nights and have enough left over for 3-4 nights in Orlando to take the kids to Disney. Instead, each year it would be a full week in Colorado in the summer, or maybe no Colorado at all!

My oldest starts kinder this year so we will be on the school calendar soon. Not like he is going to miss important exams yet but each year taking time out during school will be less and less doable.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You should pay close attention to B and rent first if you have never been there, Breckenridge is 9,000 ft above sea level and many visitors suffer the effects of altitude sickness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been there and so has my wife. But great advice! It is a VERY high elevation and many seasoned skiers get AS there.

joelisac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got Valdora on odd years only, looking to get even years maybe. Or may buy into Marriot to mix it up a little. I do like Valdora, but you do have to pay a premium to join.