• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paying Marriott MF

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to pay MF for MVCI. Should I use Sapphire Reserve 3/$ or Marriott Visa card.

Will Marriott visa give me 5 points/$ or just 3/$ when paying MF to MVCI.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It counts as a Marriott purchase so you get 5/$. Even slightly better is the SPG Amex which after converted to MRP gives 6/$.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Saintsfan. Do not have SPG so will use Marriott visa.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Samara, I would definitely use the Sapphire Reserve. Ultimate Rewards points are 2-3x more valuable than Marriott Rewards points. Ymmv. Cheers.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Samara, I would definitely use the Sapphire Reserve. Ultimate Rewards points are 2-3x more valuable than Marriott Rewards points. Ymmv. Cheers.

That depends on how you use them. If you maximize the MRP value it is nowhere near 2-3x more valuable. With a travel package you can get 1 to 1 airlines miles to mrps and at 6 points per dollar there really isn't another reward program that comes close. Ultimate reward transfers at 1:1 so that flips your value. The SPG Amex is 2x more valuable than Saphire Rewards and the Marriott Chase Visa is close behind but again it all depends on how you plan to utilize the points.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
That depends on how you use them. If you maximize the MRP value it is nowhere near 2-3x more valuable. With a travel package you can get 1 to 1 airlines miles to mrps and at 6 points per dollar there really isn't another reward program that comes close. Ultimate reward transfers at 1:1 so that flips your value. The SPG Amex is 2x more valuable than Saphire Rewards and the Marriott Chase Visa is close behind but again it all depends on how you plan to utilize the points.

Can you explain the 1 for 1 under MRP. I thought I understood the travel packages as for years I have been doing the 1 week deal for 120K miles and a week stay certificate for 275K reward points. I would do them under South West and get Instant Companion Pass for 2 years. SW just plugged this loop hole March this year, but I beat the deadline and got another one a year early that lasts all this year and next.

But I don’t see how you can exchange MRP for 1:1 ratio with airlines. Please explain you have peaked my interest.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
For you MRP collectors if I buy a resale Marriott do you also get points for paying your fees above the amount you can earn paying with their branded card?

I.e. 10 points per $ of fees like a stay, and do you get stay credit on the stays at the resorts when using your TS?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain the 1 for 1 under MRP. I thought I understood the travel packages as for years I have been doing the 1 week deal for 120K miles and a week stay certificate for 275K reward points. I would do them under South West and get Instant Companion Pass for 2 years. SW just plugged this loop hole March this year, but I beat the deadline and got another one a year early that lasts all this year and next.

But I don’t see how you can exchange MRP for 1:1 ratio with airlines. Please explain you have peaked my interest.

For the travel package you receive the normal 5 or 7 nights for the required category but the airline miles are 1:1. Some airline miles are not valued the same and might be higher but I believe SW is still 1:1.

The caveat to my valuation is you need to get the 5 or 7 nights and obviously be able to utilize it. Some 5 night redemptions are worth less than desirable but others are much more than 1 penny per point. For example my spouse goes to a convention every year and the room is about $280 per night. The 5 nights only costs 80,000 points which is a great value compared to the $1,400 and then on top of this I can get the airline miles at 1:1.

Last edited:

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Got it..

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For you MRP collectors if I buy a resale Marriott do you also get points for paying your fees above the amount you can earn paying with their branded card?

I.e. 10 points per $ of fees like a stay, and do you get stay credit on the stays at the resorts when using your TS?

From what I understand from your question it is no. You do not get credit for the dollars spent on maintenance fees above what was charged on the card for maintenance fees. You do get elite nights credit for Marriott timeshare stays but nothing more on what was spent on the maintenance fees. You do get additional points for most of the spend at the resorts like food and beverage. This can be up to 21 points per dollar at vacation club properties.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the Sapphire Reserve. YMMV.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my wife just got the Marriott card and we have to spend $3,000 to get the 80K. So best value would be MF for sure at 5/$1

I was thinking to spend $5,000 for MF to get 112,000 MRP (80,000 + 25,000 + 7500 (adl. user bonus)) . Transfer these to United for 50,000 miles and get 30% more so total of 65,000 united miles.

Am I understanding this correctly.

Sam

rrazzorr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The caveat to my valuation is you need to get the 5 or 7 nights and obviously be able to utilize it. Some 5 night redemptions are worth less than desirable but others are much more than 1 penny per point.

How does one get a five night package certificate? I heard that it exists but only see 7 night packages advertised on marriott.com

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does one get a five night package certificate? I heard that it exists but only see 7 night packages advertised on marriott.com
You need to own a Marriott timeshare to be able to get a 5-night travel package. It is exclusive to Marriott timeshare owners only.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In this order: 1) SPG Amex card 2) Marriott Visa 3) Chase Sapphire Reserve. I have all 3 cards, so using SPG Amex is a no brainer.

rrazzorr

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to own a Marriott timeshare to be able to get a 5-night travel package. It is exclusive to Marriott timeshare owners only.
Right; I heard that too. Thanks.
Was anyone actually able to get a package?
Just trying to verify the validity of the info.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right; I heard that too. Thanks.
Was anyone actually able to get a package?
Just trying to verify the validity of the info.
I have converted 4 5-night packages todate. This month I plan on converting another 2 5-night packages to take advantage of the United promotion. I will be converting another 5-night package in May 2018 for Delta points. I am not quite "The Points Guy" but pretty close to being almost as good as being "The Points Gal". :)

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

We have used MRP’s for at least three five night travel packages. It’s a very good deal and most beneficial use of reward points. I have always called the Rewards Program to buy the package via reward points, and I believe that is the only way to do it.

It may have been mentioned earlier, but if not, you don’t have to use the airline miles and five night stay during the same trip.

Enjoy!

Best regards

Mike

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG = 2X points for SPG and Marriott timeshare. 1 SPG point = 3 MRPs. 2 SPG points = 6 MRPs. Chase only gets you 3 Chase UR points.
Sigh...

A point is not a point. Look at some knowledgeable bloggers’ valuations. For example, The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/october-2017-monthly-valuations/

His OPINION is MRs are worth $.009 and URs are worth $.022, or about 2-1/2 Times (hence my ballpark 2-3x stated above). And yes, I have all the cards and do buy the Marriott vacation packages. To repeat...ymmv!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sigh...

A point is not a point. Look at some knowledgeable bloggers’ valuations. For example, The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/october-2017-monthly-valuations/

His OPINION is MRs are worth $.009 and URs are worth $.022, or about 2-1/2 Times (hence my ballpark 2-3x stated above). And yes, I have all the cards and do buy the Marriott vacation packages. To repeat...ymmv!
We are talking about paying MF for Marriott timeshare. It does not matter how much a point is valued by TPG. What is real is that by using SPG Amex, $1 Marriott MF gives you 6 MRPs. If you use Marriott Visa, you only get 5 MRPs. If you use Chase, you get 3 URs. 3 URs when transferred to MRPs only give you 3 MRPs. So SPG Amex (6 MRPs), trumps Marriott Visa (5 MRPs) which in turn trumps Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 MRPs). Simple Math - if you want to use the points to buy Marriott travel packages.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are talking about paying MF for Marriott timeshare. It does not matter how much a point is valued by TPG. What is real is that by using SPG Amex, $1 Marriott MF gives you 6 MRPs. If you use Marriott Visa, you only get 5 MRPs. If you use Chase, you get 3 URs. 3 URs when transferred to MRPs only give you 3 MRPs. So SPG Amex (6 MRPs), trumps Marriott Visa (5 MRPs) which in turn trumps Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 MRPs). Simple Math - if you want to use the points to buy Marriott travel packages.
First, the OP didn’t state his objective as buying Marriott travel packages. Granted, if that is his objective, I agree with you 100%. In MY case, I pay the MFs with the CSR and use the very valuable points for high value transfer to frequent flyer programs. Oh, did I say ymmv. Peace.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First, the OP didn’t state his objective as buying Marriott travel packages. Granted, if that is his objective, I agree with you 100%. In MY case, I pay the MFs with the CSR and use the very valuable points for high value transfer to frequent flyer programs. Oh, did I say ymmv. Peace.
Yes UR can give high value transfer to airlines like Singapore Airlines. But for an airline like United, you are better off getting Marriott's 5-night package as it is equivalent to about 1 point of United miles to 1 MRP. Unfortunately UR does not transfer to Delta as I find that Delta's mileage redemption is very reasonable unlike United's very inflated numbers.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
It counts as a Marriott purchase so you get 5/$. Even slightly better is the SPG Amex which after converted to MRP gives 6/$.

Thanks for the reminder. I have all 3 cards, but SPG Biz card is new and I need to meet minimum spend so I will use SPG. I wasn't thinking about using that one because I always just use the Marriott card for MF. Great timing for this thread.