• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice requested on booking in Ocean City, MD

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Does anyone had advice for exchanging into an Ocean City, MD resort? The Coconut Malorie Resort seems to always be booked, plus it has bad reviews.

northovr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seatime in Rci is ok three bedroom are the size of two one bedrooms oceantime are two bedrooms next door. I doubt you find a any summer weeks

Daniel

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Seatime in Rci is ok three bedroom are the size of two one bedrooms oceantime are two bedrooms next door. I doubt you find a any summer weeks

Daniel
Do you mean this summer or any summer?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for SUMMER beach weeks? ... my BIL family owns a beachfront condo in OCMD ... looks just like Oceantime TS resort. I post any weeks NOT rented each year on Redweek to rent under Oceantime.... clearly stating what is being rented. And yes, most SUMMER weeks get taken by repeat guests each year ... there maybe an open week now or a cancellation before checkin.

Last I heard ... my sister's condo might be rented totally rented ... but "PM" me if you want me to pass your info on to them. The unit is direct ocean/beach front 3rd floor ... condo association has NO POOL or HOT TUB ... guests & owners use the ocean.

They do rent in the shoulder seasons, also. I have taken my charming nephews there when their parents have other commitments for his work. Far easier to handle kids on vacation than at home where they are expecting a "mom replacement".

PMing is best ... now called "start a conversation".

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most are udi, and the resort is sketchy at best when they turn over open weeks to Wyndham. I was toldthat usually by end of February. When i called Wyndham, they told me they had a few for this fall left.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
First off none of the Ocean City, MD resorts are going to be up to most Wyndham standards. Coconut Mallory is at or above the average ocean city timeshare quality. That being said summer is hard to get through RCI. If you have access to plus partners/nightly stays/rci points inventory and you search at exactly 10 months out you have a decent chance at getting a points inventory unit. Otherwise start an ongoing request 2 years early and periodically manually check as well for your best chances. If you can travel during the first 3 weeks of June or the last week of August your chances are also better.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
First off none of the Ocean City, MD resorts are going to be up to most Wyndham standards. Coconut Mallory is at or above the average ocean city timeshare quality. That being said summer is hard to get through RCI. If you have access to plus partners/nightly stays/rci points inventory and you search at exactly 10 months out you have a decent chance at getting a points inventory unit. Otherwise start an ongoing request 2 years early and periodically manually check as well for your best chances. If you can travel during the first 3 weeks of June or the last week of August your chances are also better.
Thank you for leveling my expectations.

Last edited:

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Looking for SUMMER beach weeks? ... my BIL family owns a beachfront condo in OCMD ... looks just like Oceantime TS resort. I post any weeks NOT rented each year on Redweek to rent under Oceantime.... clearly stating what is being rented. And yes, most SUMMER weeks get taken by repeat guests each year ... there maybe an open week now or a cancellation before checkin.

Last I heard ... my sister's condo might be rented totally rented ... but "PM" me if you want me to pass your info on to them. The unit is direct ocean/beach front 3rd floor ... condo association has NO POOL or HOT TUB ... guests & owners use the ocean.

They do rent in the shoulder seasons, also. I have taken my charming nephews there when their parents have other commitments for his work. Far easier to handle kids on vacation than at home where they are expecting a "mom replacement".

PMing is best ... now called "start a conversation".
Thank you. I would rather not rent from someone since I have points that I need to use.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im going to be in ocean city in September for the first time in 40 years that's where I learned what a beach town is supposed to be. I was shocked when I got to Florida and there was no boardwalk.

I'm looking forward to some Thrasher's French Fries

50 years ago if you found yourself without a place to stay you could sleep on the beach. There was nothing but sand dunes between the end of the boardwalk at 28th st and Bobbie Bakers carousel at 100th st.

Then and now there is a big rental market, everything from the boardwalk hotels to condos to single family homes

You may not want to rent but that may be your only choice

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Im going to be in ocean city in September for the first time in 40 years that's where I learned what a beach town is supposed to be. I was shocked when I got to Florida and there was no boardwalk.

I'm looking forward to some Thrasher's French Fries

50 years ago if you found yourself without a place to stay you could sleep on the beach. There was nothing but sand dunes between the end of the boardwalk at 28th st and Bobbie Bakers carousel at 100th st.

Then and now there is a big rental market, everything from the boardwalk hotels to condos to single family homes

You may not want to rent but that may be your only choice
Thank you for the honest response. It just hurts to have to pay more out of pocket when you are already obligated to pay maintenance fees that could have gotten you the place down the street. :(

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
My wife searched for years for any availability whatever at Coconut Malorie. She called Wyndham many times. She called Coconut Malorie many times and got all kinds of reasons/excuses why there was never any availability. At one point, she was told by CM personnel that Wyndham hadn't been paying for its units so nothing would be availble through Wyndham.

After years, we managed to book a two-night reservation (Sat & Sun) at the end of February.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the honest response. It just hurts to have to pay more out of pocket when you are already obligated to pay maintenance fees that could have gotten you the place down the street. :(

I'm an old Maryland boy and seeing that resort in the owner directory is one of the things that caused me to take a really close look at Wyndham (that and National Harbor)

I was also really disappointed when I learned that getting a reservation there was nearly impossible.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was here once. I do not think anyone is missing anything worth going to.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We just moved to MD so I was hoping this could be quick get away place for us. Oh, well.
Thanks all !

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just moved to MD so I was hoping this could be quick get away place for us. Oh, well.
Thanks all !

its not the beach, But lots of locals get away to National Harbor

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For those that grew up going to Ocean City (I am sure its the same for the Jersey Shore), there is just that nostalgia factor coupled with convenience. Its within a 4-5 hour driving to millions. The last census said about 7,000 live their during the winter but on a summer weekend there could be 350,000 people visiting.
Some people think, oh its so hard to go to that it must be really nice. Not really. It is what it is. During summer a flea bag motel across coastal highway with a parking lot view can go for the same as a moderate Maui resort 1BR with ocean side view. A Milkshake at Dumsers Dairy land is now over $7.00 for at 16oz. The Ocean is quite cold even in June and July to those who are used to it SC and South.

I worked 2 summers in Ocean City (one in High School and one in College) but had avoided it in summer for a while preferring the nice timeshares in Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach (but also a longer car ride). A couple of years we started going again and it is a fun place but a more local perspective helps and I would never recommend Ocean City, Maryland to anyone who has to fly and then drive the 3+ hours or even drive more than 5 hours total. There are probably just as nice or nicer places for those visitors.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks all !
Using Wyndham points, Williamsburg is going to be the easier get away place and Atlantic City - although the toll roads are annoying. If you have kids- Ocean City NJ is an easy drive from Atlantic City and the boardwalk is just as fun as Ocean City,MD

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I agree 100%. The resort itself is underwhelming. The attraction would be the beach, the resort mostly a place to crash.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that grew up going to Ocean City (I am sure its the same for the Jersey Shore), there is just that nostalgia factor coupled with convenience. Its within a 4-5 hour driving to millions. The last census said about 7,000 live their during the winter but on a summer weekend there could be 350,000 people visiting.
Some people think, oh its so hard to go to that it must be really nice. Not really. It is what it is. During summer a flea bag motel across coastal highway with a parking lot view can go for the same as a moderate Maui resort 1BR with ocean side view. A Milkshake at Dumsers Dairy land is now over $7.00 for at 16oz. The Ocean is quite cold even in June and July to those who are used to it SC and South.

I worked 2 summers in Ocean City (one in High School and one in College) but had avoided it in summer for a while preferring the nice timeshares in Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach (but also a longer car ride). A couple of years we started going again and it is a fun place but a more local perspective helps and I would never recommend Ocean City, Maryland to anyone who has to fly and then drive the 3+ hours or even drive more than 5 hours total. There are probably just as nice or nicer places for those visitors.

How about Thrashers fries? and dont forget Phillips for crabs, bring your own beer (at least thats the way it was)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doen'cha knoe, hon, we wint downy oshun, but't took frevr t'git uvr dat dang Baybrij!

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

Funny, I just about to start searching VA Beach. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about Thrashers fries? and dont forget Phillips for crabs, bring your own beer (at least thats the way it was)
Phillips was one of the places I worked. It was never my favorite seafood venue to eat at although I fun working there. I also worked at Sunsations when I was 17. They had 4 locations in 1989. I had friends who worked at Morbid Manor, Thrashers and Fishers Popcorn. There is a lot that is still the same and a lot that is different but its all good. When I was younger, my dad would take us to Ocean City and let my brother and I go off by ourselves with a roll of quarters and tickets to the pier and we just had to pick him up at the Purple Moose on the boardwalk by 9:30.