• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just got this......[Franz Hanning retiring]

John_and_Val

Reaction score
From Franz Hanning
View it as a web page

CW_vip_platinum_owner_logo.gif

Dear CLUB WYNDHAM® Platinum Owner,

After three decades of service to Wyndham Vacation Ownership, I have decided to leave my current role as President and Chief Executive Officer to start a new chapter in my life — one that is focused on my family. I wanted to ensure that our CLUB WYNDHAM® Platinum members were among the first to hear this news.

Although I will greatly miss playing a role in delivering unforgettable vacation experiences, I am confident that the team at Wyndham Vacation Ownership will remain steadfast in their commitment to serving you. I'm pleased to let you know that Stephen P. Holmes, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Wyndham Worldwide, will be stepping in as interim CEO until a successor is identified. A timeshare owner himself since 1980, Steve is passionate about Wyndham Vacation Ownership and fully committed to the owners we serve.

When I look back on my time as President and CEO, it's humbling to have been part of the steady evolution of CLUB WYNDHAM®. Among all of the exciting things that have taken place during my time with Wyndham, perhaps my favorite part has been getting to know our owners and realizing the meaningful impact vacationing can have on families through the years. It has truly been an honor to be part of your ownership journey with Wyndham.

While this will be my last quarterly update, please know that we remain committed to continuing this email series. As a CLUB WYNDHAM Platinum Owner, you will continue to receive exclusive news and updates about your Club.

I hope your ownership continues to provide you and your loved ones with priceless experiences that enrich your lives for years to come.

Yours truly,

franz_sig.gif

Franz Hanning

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could this be related to the State of Florida looking into the unwarranted suspensions of dozens of VIP owners, without due process?

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not but interesting he is addressing this to Plat owners. Also love the BS spin in this letter that states "I am confident that the team at Wyndham Vacation Ownership will remain steadfast in their commitment to serving you."

Wjappraise.... are you still feeling that love these days still? Ron says he is and that they have dealt with him "fairly" so what check isn't he having to write in the settlement exit strategy?

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not but interesting he is addressing this to Plat owners. Also love the BS spin in this letter that states "I am confident that the team at Wyndham Vacation Onwership will remain steadfast in their commitment to serving you."

Wjappraise.... are you still feeling that love these days still? Ron says he is and that they have dealt with him "fairly" so what check isn't he having to write in the settlement exit strategy?

I never said I was feeling "love" only that I am being treated fairly

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
seems like i read the DRI ceo was out as well.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
seems like i read the DRI ceo was out as well.

Brian, did you post a link on the DRI CEO? If so, I can do a search for it because that would be an interesting read also.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not but interesting he is addressing this to Plat owners. Also love the BS spin in this letter that states "I am confident that the team at Wyndham Vacation Ownership will remain steadfast in their commitment to serving you."

Thanks, BellaWyn. The deep abiding feeling I have right now cannot be correctly classified as "loved" by Wyndham. The better classification would be "disdained" or "contemptible." And by this, I mean the feeling of which I am the recipient.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
If anyone should have had cross - area knowledge about sales tactics / encouragement of cancel / rebook for VIP owners / assistance provided by vc's it should have been Franz since he came from sales. I know that was not the root cause of the points balances that lead to the 'audits' but it seems a sore point that may have contributed to the irrationally long time the audit took.

Bob

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
It seems every CEO that's fired wants to spend more time with their family

im sure the severance package would make their families pretty happy this holiday season!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is two (2) CEO leaving their position by 1/1/2017 (DRI & Wyndham).
What up as the new generation declare !

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
im sure the severance package would make their families pretty happy this holiday season!
yep big paycheck without any workie workie..... gotta love it.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone should have had cross - area knowledge about sales tactics / encouragement of cancel / rebook for VIP owners / assistance provided by vc's it should have been Franz since he came from sales. I know that was not the root cause of the points balances that lead to the 'audits' but it seems a sore point that may have contributed to the irrationally long time the audit took.

Bob
The audit "took???"

How about TAKING..... None of the audits have yet be resolved to date. The points balance audits are happening because WYN has mis-managed the accounting of the points system, period. Has nothing to do with cancel & rebook. Any owner, VIP or non-VIP is at risk of their points balances being audited if they have ever credit pooled their points.

Franz's stepping down is probably more likely a result of the long drawn-out whistle-blower lawsuit than the suspended accounts audit. That situation more publicly exposed Wyndham than the points audit situation has, which seems to be confined more to conversations happening in TUG forums.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are you aware that one of the "benefits"

Why is it "interesting he is addressing this to Plat owners."?

Are you aware that one of the benefits of a Platinum ownership is Quarterly CEO Updates A quarterly email message from Wyndham Vacation Ownership CEO Franz Hanning. We have been getting letters from Franz for some time.

The interesting thing isnt that its addressed to Platinum owners, The interesting thing is that his replacement is Steve Holmes.(CEO Wyndham Worldwide)

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it "interesting he is addressing this to Plat owners."?

Are you aware that one of the benefits of a Platinum ownership is Quarterly CEO Updates A quarterly email message from Wyndham Vacation Ownership CEO Franz Hanning. We have been getting letters from Franz for some time.

The interesting thing isnt that its addressed to Platinum owners, The interesting thing is that his replacement is Steve Holmes.(CEO Wyndham Worldwide)

Thanks for sharing what is of the most interest to YOU.

For me, Steve Holmes stepping in as "interim" is of minimal interest right now. It's his decision as head of Wyndham Worldwide to decide who temporarily replaces a key person in the face of whatever embarrassing situation occurred to create the near immediate removal of that individual. It didn't have to be him but apparently Holmes believes he is the most qualified to direct the clean up. He's doing his job, period. Regardless, "interim" translates to "temporary" which will become more interesting when "permanent" gets announced.

Addressing first to Plat owners interests ME because the stepping down of a CEO who is supposed to represent the WHOLE of the Wyndham Vacation Ownership appears, on the surface, to once again prioritize importance of membership levels. The larger base of owners still remains the non-VIP owner. One would think this is an important enough announcement to share with ALL levels of ownerships because it effects everyone.

As to the quarterly CEO update to Plat owners, this announcement was not part of that so whether I, personally, am aware those exist or not is of zero relevance in the conversation.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are you aware that one of the "benefits" of platinum ownership is regular
Thanks for sharing what is of the most interest to YOU.

For me, Steve Holmes stepping in as "interim" is of minimal interest right now. It's his decision as head of Wyndham Worldwide to decide who temporarily replaces a key person in the face of whatever embarrassing situation occurred to create the near immediate removal of that individual. It didn't have to be him but apparently Holmes believes he is the most qualified to direct the clean up. He's doing his job, period. Regardless, "interim" translates to "temporary" which will become more interesting when "permanent" gets announced.

Addressing first to Plat owners interests ME because the stepping down of a CEO who is supposed to represent the WHOLE of the Wyndham Vacation Ownership appears, on the surface, to once again prioritize importance of membership levels. The larger base of owners still remains the non-VIP owner. One would think this is an important enough announcement to share with ALL levels of ownerships because it effects everyone.

As to the quarterly CEO update to Plat owners, this announcement was not part of that so whether I, personally, am aware those exist or not is of zero relevance in the conversation.

I would expect the second in command to step up to interim CEO rather than the CEO of the parent to step down. Unless of course Hanning is the first part of a larger housecleaning. Now that would be interesting (to me)

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Ron , BellaWyn and others,
IMO - both of your viewpoints have validity . I think VIEW point is the operative word . You are both seeing and analyzing the same group of SILOS but from different "locations", -
therefore the SILO closest to you is the one most in your vision / view . ( same for other Wyndham owners & perhaps "Wyndham itself "

I am writing this midday Sat Dec 3 2016
Here are the (6) most recently updated Wyndham TUG threads .

1)Ex Wyndham salesperson awarded 20 million in lawsuit ...

2)Wyndham Whistleblower ( linked to an article about the same lawsuit judgement)

3)Acct review email {Acct Suspended } ....

4)Just got this ...{ Franz Hanning Retiring } ...

5) Ovation

6) Very Important call from Corporate ... ( ie is it really just a ploy for selling points )

Only when you reach thread # 7 is there the mention of a resort .

IMO - In many ways 1-6 are just parts of the same story - a corporation entity with significant SILO issues .

In a perfect world the viewpoints being posted on TUG in all (6 )threads could be the mirror for Wyndham that would
help them improve the experience for all -

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so you have given us 6 dots. The question is how to connect them and are there dots that none of us see

Frank Hanning started his career in the salesroom at Fairfield glade and now something like 40 years later they are using the same high cost marketing and high pressure sales and some of the same lies to sell this stuff. Perhaps they finally realized that those tactics won't continue to work in the internet age. And it's time for some fresh blood and a new approach. That their sales tactics were exposed in open court and that lawyers representing suspended owners are sniffing around sea harbor drive might have been the occasion.

Me? I believe that all these possibilities are just symptoms of the real issue. I believe that the trust is out of balance, that somehow there are more points in circulation than there are condos to support them

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Ron ,
I posted my thoughts in this thread primarily because it was recently started . I think I could have posted in most of the others .
In part my thoughts were also for "Wyndham themselves " . My " all- " includes " everyone who works there .

I agree with with you : - it is 6 dots I saw this morning - and these are a part of a bigger picture .

If you are correct that points exceed units --- ( real sold points not IT issue points )
then simplistically Wyndham has to either build more units or "retire" more points via Ovation or buying on ebay etc.

In many ways I am glad I own Mayan / Vidanta where the owner continues to build ,
AND get back inventory via RTU contracts with timelines of payment /renewal to continue " ownership ".
They build and staff in pesos and get MF in dollars - not a bad business plan .

added -hard to own and rent for much of a profit unless you have their elite holiday weeks / which are like a 51-52 .

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they finally realized that those tactics won't continue to work in the internet age.
Except that they do. Tour flow has increased, and conversions seem steady. Yet, TUG and the like have been around and easily accessible for as long as google has existed. Nothing seems to be changing.

Timeshare is an aspirational purchase for most folks. They are on vacation, having the time of their lives, and someone promises them they can bottle that magical feeling for years to come "at today's prices." When they sign, they feel really good about the purchase, and most of them do not go looking for reasons why that decision was a bad one---at least, not until it is too late.

I think the whistleblower thing might have something to do with it. As you've said before, no one likes being made to look the fool.

I believe that the trust is out of balance, that somehow there are more points in circulation than there are condos to support them
I suspect that there is enough slack in unsold inventory to cover that. I also suspect most of those extra points have either been (a) transients created in the switchover to no-cancel-points (so not systemic and easily recoverable) or (b) concentrated in very high-churn accounts (e.g. those currently frozen). They probably do not know how to solve (b) just yet, but that's not to say they won't ever. You are living in the middle of reason (b), but there just aren't that many of you.

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really just think he simply retired. He's hit retirement age and it's time to take it easy.

Club Wyndham seems to be performing well financially, so I think it's just a regular retirement and not anything more.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really just think he simply retired. He's hit retirement age and it's time to take it easy.

Club Wyndham seems to be performing well financially, so I think it's just a regular retirement and not anything more.

If I had his money, at his age, I agree....time for me to retire. Fun reading all the theories though.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good riddance. Anyone that could so poorly manage a company will not be missed.
If I had his money, at his age, I agree....time for me to retire. Fun reading all the theories though.

Either way a good time to retire. As everything is hitting the fan. Looks like it is going to get ugly.