• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Progress on DC and AP Points systems alignment

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we are fortunathe to be at PHuket Beach Club now. From our sales presentation :

In the future it is planned for the AP and DC points systems to be interchangeable. AP points and points values for stays have already been aligned with DC points values so that 1 AP Point is equivalent to 1 DC Point.

Currently the database of points members of the two systems is being merged. Later this year it is promised that members in the two systems will be able to use points seamlessly across the whole inventory of resorts.

AP points owners will still retain their specific AP system privileges as will DC points members in the DC system. Note that enrolled weeks owners in the AP points system DO NOT get those benefits - only owners who purchased AP points can earn them.

As yet we do not know how this will finally impact owners who are in both systems with enrolled weeks in the DC system and enrolled weeks in the AP system with purchased AP points. That will become clearer later in 2016 - so we were promised at our recent sales presentation at PBC.

What is should mean is that DC points should be interchangeable on a 1 to 1 basis with AP points and thus usable at AP resorts and vice versa (availability constraints will probably apply).

kfreeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I correctly interpret from the summary that PBC weeks owners that did not pay $8000 to join AP, but do have enrolled DC weeks, will not be able to add their PBC weeks to the DC program?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I correctly interpret from the summary that PBC weeks owners that did not pay $8000 to join AP, but do have enrolled DC weeks, will not be able to add their PBC weeks to the DC program?
At the moment it can only be rumour and speculation.
However, as such an owner myself, I am already lobbying for PBC weeks owners who are not in the AP system to be included in the integrated system both fairly and reasonably.
I will continue to push strongly for this, especially having already paid to enrol my other weeks in the DC system.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score

As BAZZAP has said, there is only rumour and speculation on that specific topic. All that the sales staff are willing to talk about is the AP points system and its alignment with the DC points system. When I asked about Phuket Beach Club weeks owners who were not also AP Points owners and enrolled in the AP Overlay system, there was no reply at all. All the sales people at PBC know is AP points - they have not been selling weeks for at least 7 years and so the position of weeks owners at PBC who are not part of the AP Points system is still very unclear.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So, would those weeks owners that have their weeks enrolled in the overlay program be included along with pure AP points owners? Or is that potentially undetermined?

Does AP have its own exchange company like DC does? Is Marriott considering folding that company and then having all exchanges with global points go through the MVC Exchange Company? That would make more sense. Why have two companies handling exchanges. This would mean that those that have PBC weeks enrolled in the overlay program would be included along with AP point owners. Still of course up in the air are pure PBC weeks owners, whether they also have European, Caribbean or are enrolled in DC or not.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, would those weeks owners that have their weeks enrolled in the overlay program be included along with pure AP points owners? Or is that potentially undetermined?

Does AP have its own exchange company like DC does? Is Marriott considering folding that company and then having all exchanges with global points go through the MVC Exchange Company? That would make more sense. Why have two companies handling exchanges. This would mean that those that have PBC weeks enrolled in the overlay program would be included along with AP point owners. Still of course up in the air are pure PBC weeks owners, whether they also have European, Caribbean or are enrolled in DC or not.

My understanding from the presentation is that PBC weeks owners who are enrolled in the AP points overlay program will be included. They would continue to be able to exchange their week for AP points each year as now. They would be able to use their "overlay" points in the same way as the AP points that they had purchased. So the promise of seamless usage long side the DC should then apply.

The AP points system operation is much simpler than the DC. There are no "Trust" or "exchange" points. There are simply points. When an overlay week is exchanged for AP points the points just become part of the members points total. Those points can then be used to reserve whatever availability that exists across the resorts or the other use options. This is much simpler to understand than the complexities of the DC system where there are "Trust" weeks and points and "Enrolled" weeks and points. That is why the DC requires an Exchange company. the AP system just has points.

Now bringing these two systems together seamlessly is obviously a challenge and is probably why it has taken so long to bring about.

Just how the seamless interchange will work is unknown at present and I fear that seamless will not be what we get.

So still uncertainty but at least a timeline seems to have been established and the first part of the process has been completed. Just two more parts to be implemented. Part of that uncertainty is just what happens to PBC weeks owners who did not join the AP points overlay program by buying the required AP points.

Last edited:

littlejen22

Reaction score
I am lost and concerned. What is AP? We own two weeks at Surf Club and are enrolled in the Destination program. What should I be concerned about?

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am lost and concerned. What is AP? We own two weeks at Surf Club and are enrolled in the Destination program. What should I be concerned about?

AP is Asia Pacific as in MVCI Asia Pacific - a separate Marriott Vacation Club Points system for Asia Pacific region.

You have nothing to be concerned about.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
Asia-Pacific/Destination Club merger update

Just had a presentation at PBC. They expect this to be completed by the end of 2016. They also claimed that if you converted to points, you would get the same number of points that you would need to use to exchange back in, i. e. no skim. They didn't know that was how it works in the DC. They offered a minimum 1000 point purchase at $12.50 which would include enrolling our non-Marriott purchased platinum week. They didn't think there would be an open enrollment option for all weeks owners who had purchased prior to the merger date. Also offered 0% financing for 5 years with 10% down. We chose to wait until the merger has actually been completed.

Let me know if anyone has other questions and I'll see if I can get answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
Most of PBC has been sold as weeks. All other Asia-Pacific properties have been sold using points. They have separate AP inventory at Ko Olina and Las Vegas and just a small inventory at Waiohai.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would expect that if you are going to use AP points that there is no slim. This is because they converted everyone's AP points at a 10:1 ratio down to be the equivalent of DC points. So as long as you are using the converted points to stay at an AP resort, you would have no skim. I don't think people converting weeks will be so lucky.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would expect that if you are going to use AP points that there is no slim. This is because they converted everyone's AP points at a 10:1 ratio down to be the equivalent of DC points. So as long as you are using the converted points to stay at an AP resort, you would have no skim. I don't think people converting weeks will be so lucky.

I am both a weeks owner at PBC and an owner of AP points. My PBC weeks are part of the overlay programme (enrolled in AP points system). The exchange for AP points without a skim. My plat weeks get 3270 New AP points and a plat week requires 3270 AP points to reserve. So no SKIM.

However a plat week can reserve Chinese New Year but Double AP points are required to reserve that same week.