• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Golf Packages on Hilton Head

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marbella Beach Club

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
We have owned at Barony Beach since they opened.

As a part of the purchase package, we were able to get a golf package that was good at Old South and Old Carolina. The option we signed up for was 4 rounds a year for $55 (plus cart fees paid at the course.)

After a few years, Old Carolina slowly went downhill and eventually was dropped from the package.

I still enjoyed playing at Old South. While it's off the island, it is a picturesque, challenging -- for me at least -- course.

This year, we traded our March Barony Beach week for a stay at Monarch. I exchanged emails with a Monarch desk person about how to get my Old South Golf Card. She checked into it and finally told me that Barony no longer has a golf plan.

I had already paid for this year and doubted that she was right. One of my projects for this week was to call the Barony desk and the golf office to ask them directly what I had to do.

Yesterday I was looking at my credit card statement and noticed that my $55.00 payment had been credited back to my account.

Anyone have any further on what is going on with Marriott golf packages? I had not heard anything from Marriott. Is it true there are no longer Marriott timeshare golf plans?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I will ask when I'm at HH starting tomorrow. We own at Grande Ocean and Barony, but I'm not sure of either's package. I played for both my high school team and college team (full scholarship), but got burned out and stopped playing altogether a few years ago.

We also own a couple of 3-BR weeks at Hilton Head's Waterside resort, purchased for extra beach time.
Strangely enough, their golf package is great, far better than Marriott's.

You might wish to purchase a cheap resale Waterside week just for the golf benefits.

This is what Waterside offers (all are on-island courses):

4 players per day, FREE greens fees.
(you only pay cart fee)
at any of these:

Shipyard --- three 9-hole courses (see links below):
Clipper, Galleon, Brigantine.

or

Port Royal --- three 18-hole courses (see links below):
Planter's Row, Robbers Row, The Barony.

Shipyard courses:
(1)http://shipyardgolfclub.com/Golf/GolfCourse/tabid/1886/Default.aspx
(2) http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/golf/golf-courses/clipper-galleon-shipyard-golf-club/
(3) http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/golf/golf-courses/brigantine-clipper-shipyard-golf-club/

Port Royal courses:
(1) Barony: http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/golf/golf-courses/barony-course-port-royal-golf-club/
(2) Robber's Row: http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/golf/golf-courses/robbers-row-port-royal-golf-club/
(3) Planter's Row:
http://www.hiltonheadisland.org/golf/golf-courses/planters-row-port-royal-golf-club/

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
Thank you jme

I have played all those courses many times.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Tom, you'd think Barony would have a golf package with the Port Royal courses since Barony IS IN PORT ROYAL!!!!!!!

Sheesh, Marriott get on the stick! (pun intended)

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
Marriott Golf Packages

We have a stay coming up at Harbour Point and Surf watch and have been told
By both resorts they have a 7 day unlimited package that is 195 plus tax in April
Marriott gives you a voucher to show at the golf course.
This is for the Heritage Group courses.
I phoned Heritage Group yesterday and they confirmed this to me over the phone.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a stay coming up at Harbour Point and Surf watch and have been told
By both resorts they have a 7 day unlimited package that is 195 plus tax in April
Marriott gives you a voucher to show at the golf course.
This is for the Heritage Group courses.
I phoned Heritage Group yesterday and they confirmed this to me over the phone.

We have stayed at Barony the last 2 years and have always found it cheaper to buy direct from Port Royal at about $40 a round including buggy. This year we stayed at Surf Watch and got an amazing deal, unlimited 7 day golf, buggy and full use of practice area including balls for $150, although that was late Jan early Feb, it sure was a bit cold though. But nobody on the course.

Can't believe that in one week we found over 60 quality balls just lying around the course and in the lakes, although the Alligators prevented us getting a few more.

I love HH, since I discovered the place 3 years ago, we come over just to play all the great courses, already booked for 2017 - can't wait.

Hope you can get a great deal

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Heritage Club is the only Hilton Head Island resort at which free rounds of golf are included for owners/exchangers. At all of the others there have been discounted fees available for years and there hasn't been any notice of a recent change. This info is from the latest 1/28/16 Barony Beach GM newsletter:
Golf
Are you aware that Golf Central offers discounted rates at several area courses? If you are thinking of playing golf while on vacation, please contact Golf Central at 843-686-7105. The team will be happy to answer questions or arrange tee times for you. Golf packages are available at Old South Golf Links with four (4) or twelve (12) rounds of green fees at discounted rates. Old South is a beautiful course along the marshes of the May River in Bluffton. It is an excellent course that you don’t want to miss. Discounted rates are also available with the Heritage Golf Group that includes all the courses at Port Royal Golf Club, Oyster Reef Golf Club, Palmetto Hall Plantation Club, and Shipyard Golf Club. Remember to contact Golf Central when planning your vacation and your golfing options.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
We have always purchased a golf package that came with our Grande Ocean.

This year we never got an invoice for the package, and when I talked to a Marriott rep he told me they no longer have that package, and that now when we arrive (this coming Friday) we get some kind of card at check-in that sounds like nowhere near as good a deal as the package used to be.

I'm thinking the loss of that golf package is just another hit to the weeks owners caused by Marriott shifting to Destination Points. I mean, it seems to make less sense (to Marriott) to be offering that package when they are trying to get owners off weeks and into DP ----

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
Totally agree. Another hit at traditional customers.

I did get an invoice and paid it. They later refunded the package.

We have always purchased a golf package that came with our Grande Ocean.

This year we never got an invoice for the package, and when I talked to a Marriott rep he told me they no longer have that package, and that now when we arrive (this coming Friday) we get some kind of card at check-in that sounds like nowhere near as good a deal as the package used to be.

I'm thinking the loss of that golf package is just another hit to the weeks owners caused by Marriott shifting to Destination Points. I mean, it seems to make less sense (to Marriott) to be offering that package when they are trying to get owners off weeks and into DP ----

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't understand why the loss of activity agreements is seen only as a hit to Weeks Owners, when generally DC Points users have also been able to purchase them?

Or did Grande Ocean had unique local golf access in the same way that Barony at one time had unique local tennis access? It may be that Marriott was unable to re-negoatiate favorable terms of the agreement with the vendors, which is the reason that Barony tennis access ended. I don't know if that's the case but it's worth asking before putting all the blame on Marriott, isn't it?

Heritage Club maintenance fees are comparatively higher than the other HHI resorts because of their unique Free Golf program, just as DSVI's fees are comparatively higher because of their unique access to the nearby JW's amenities. As an owner I prefer that any outside vendor costs be absorbed by the users, not through MF's by every owner including those who don't use the vendors/services. :shrug:

Last edited:

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
Actually, it was my Bsrony week that had the golf plan. Four greens fees for $45.00 at Old South.

Still have not heard from Marriott about the change.

I don't understand why the loss of activity agreements is seen only as a hit to Weeks Owners, when generally DC Points users have also been able to purchase them?

Or did Grande Ocean had unique local golf access in the same way that Barony at one time had unique local tennis access? It may be that Marriott was unable to re-negoatiate favorable terms of the agreement with the vendors, which is the reason that Barony tennis access ended. I don't know if that's the case but it's worth asking before putting all the blame on Marriott, isn't it?

Heritage Club maintenance fees are comparatively higher than the other HHI resorts because of their unique Free Golf program, just as DSVI's fees are comparatively higher because of their unique access to the nearby JW's amenities. As an owner I prefer that any outside vendor costs be absorbed by the users, not through MF's by every owner including those who don't use the vendors/services. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, it was my Bsrony week that had the golf plan. Four greens fees for $45.00 at Old South.

Still have not heard from Marriott about the change.

I'm confused. Are you saying that the latest Golf Central option (see the Jan '16 Barony GM Newsletter section quoted in Post #7 above) is discontinued?

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
That is what I am saying.

I'm confused. Are you saying that the latest Golf Central option (see the Jan '16 Barony GM Newsletter section quoted in Post #7 above) is discontinued?

OutAndAbout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner I prefer that any outside vendor costs be absorbed by the users, not through MF's by every owner including those who don't use the vendors/services.
Agreed. I think some Marriott HHH/HHI resorts had "free" or discounted tennis at one time too and cutting them removed that cost from the maintenance fee.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I looked at my MF for the Monarch to find a fee of 1.69 under tennis for 2015. It is not in my 2016 MF. Thinking this was the fee for the 2 hours a day of "free" tennis one gets while staying at the monarch, I called to find out. I was happy to learn that the 1.69 was for a tennis clinic the monarch offered and now stopped. I am glad they stopped the clinic and saved me 1.69 in MF or else it would have gone up 15% (unplanned extra repairs) plus 1.69 in 2016 .

They still offer the free tennis. I am sure it is built into a line item in one of the charges. Over the years we used the tennis time often. As I get older the thought of playing tennis in the 90/90 summer time isn't as much fun. I am still glad they offer it even if hidden somewhere in the fees.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Our package at Grande Ocean we paid about $160, and that entitled us to 12 rounds of golf at a preferred rate at a number of clubs including 3 at Port Royal, Oyster Reef, and maybe a couple of others. Typically we would wind up paying around $40 per round.

You would think they would have told us about it instead of just sending no invoice and leaving us to wonder what was going on.

The only reason I got the information at all was when we got the usual call from a Marriott rep informing us that he was our new personal rep or whatever you call them, wanting to know what he could do to make our upcoming stay more enjoyable (dinner reservations etc.), I said sure, tell us what the heck is going on with the golf package (which of course he knew nothing about). To his credit, he looked into it and called back with the information in about 15 minutes. He told us our golf package was part of a 20 year agreement that had now expired.

Last edited:

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I and another couple will be headed to Barony right after Labor day for a long weekend. We only have four possible golf days. Any recommendations?

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
Almost adjacent to Barony there are the Port Royal courses -- Robbers Row & Planter's Row. Nice course & reasonably priced.

Marriott also has preferred prices at Oyster Reef and Dolphin Head in Hilton Head Plantation. A few weeks ago, there was a special Marriott rate of $55.00 for Dolphin Head.

They also have preferred rates at Old South just off the island. This is my favorite of the ones I've listed. It is a beautiful course with many water views and some challenges.

My husband and I and another couple will be headed to Barony right after Labor day for a long weekend. We only have four possible golf days. Any recommendations?