• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are my chances (SFX)?

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know many of you have lots of experience with exchanges so would appreciate it if you could tell me how you would rate my chances for this:

I deposited my 2015 week with SFX and originally planned on going to New England this summer. I put in a (quite specific) request in October but never heard back so eventually decided to change my plan.

Now I am thinking of using the 2016 week myself and using the exchange to add a week (week 35 at the end of August) after it. I put in a request for several resorts. I do realize most of them are a long shot but there is at least one resort that I don't think is impossible to get. I realize Southern California is a difficult trade but on the other hand that is also what I gave up.

So, based on your experience, do you think I have a decent chance of getting something or should I think of other alternatives?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, I don't think you have enough detail to answer.... 6 mos is pretty minimal for OGS, but I made it work well last year (in II, not SFX)

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't think you have enough detail to answer.... 6 mos is pretty minimal for OGS, but I made it work well last year (in II, not SFX)

Glad to hear it worked for you. What additional details do you think are necessary to form an opinion?

We would need a one bedroom (or I guess a studio as long as it sleeps at least 3) and the resorts I asked for are (* means that I realize it is highly unlikely but you never know):

*Disney's Grand Californian in Anaheim
*Aviara
*Newport Coast Villas
Coronado Beach Resort, San Diego
Harbortown Point Marina (not sure about this one though, might take it out)
Dolphin's Cove, Anaheim
Welk Resort, Escondido

I am looking either for a resort that would be fun and relaxing with kids or a location that is sufficiently different from our first week. Either way it needs to be within easy driving distance.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think 6 months is enough time to hit on that list for the end of summer. If it were October, I'd say you had a decent shot. I'd call and talk to a rep and ask about other resorts to add to the list.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hm, we are stuck with the time due to school vacations (and of course in this case I want the week after our own week).

Not sure what other resorts to add. They all seem to be rather difficult to get(actually I thought Welk would be one of the easiest in the area).

Maybe SFX just isn't the best way for us to go in future. I was quite happy with them the first time I used them as they did get us London in August last year but I think I would prefer being able to look myself in a more varied inventory. It might be time to join RCI for the future after all.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmm.

What's the deposit credit?

I see a lot of Welks with WM, but the month is pretty critical. The closer to the end of summer, the better.

Perhaps someone with more SFX experience can advise better. Studios do increase the odds....

I too would call and have a nice discussion with SFX
Good luck

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
What resort system do you own?

Over the last week, I have traded into 8/6-8/13, 3 bedroom and 2 bedroom at Dolphin's Cove through RCI.

Admittedly, I have Wyndham points to burn up, so the exchange fee is minimal cost to us.

I know RCI has a cost to join, but for Dolphin's Cove, there is a great chance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One thing that you need to keep in mind is that SFX is an independent exchange company, so they do not get bulk deposits from the major resort systems.

The major resort systems like DVC, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, etc. are contractually affiliated with II and RCI - so that is where the vast majority of deposits go.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion to call and ask. My guess is that your request is too narrow to ensure success.

Best of luck.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't really deposit anything right now in RCI (if I joined) as I have given 2015 to SFX and want to use 2016. I guess I could deposit 2016 and postpone the trip to 2017 but it seems to take 6 - 8 weeks to join RCI so that the 2016 deposit would be devalued as it would be a late one. Also, I still would have the SFX deposit that I want to use up somehow.

But I think RCI will be the way to go if SFX doesn't come through this year.

I deposited a week 34 at Winners Circle. I know it isn't a fancy resort but seems nice enough (haven't been yet so just basing this on reviews), is right during summer/racing season and of course Southern California is usually in demand. I know RCI gives quite a lot of TPU for it.

I realize that SFX is smaller and works differently but based on what I have read here they do actively look for resorts. So reading that some of you have seen/gotten Dolphin's Cove or Welk recently makes me a bit more hopeful. My week at WC ends on 8/27 so we would ideally need something from or 8/27 or 8/28 on. I looked at II's Demand Index and demand does seem to drop of for week 35 - so maybe there is still a chance...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You should open your search a bit to other resorts besides Dolphin's Cove, like Peacock Suites. I don't know if you requested Anaheim or that specific resort, but all of the resorts near Anaheim are decent.

Welk might be a pretty easy exchange.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Plus there is the Worldmark resort by Disneyland: Worldmark Anaheim

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the opinions/input.

Of course you are right that putting more resorts on would increase the odds. But as I am travelling with two kids I am looking for something more resort-like. We will do more sightseeing etc. during the first weeks so ideally I'd like a place with fun activities/a nice pool during the second week.

I guess for now I will stick with what I have - I did think Welk or Anaheim might be quite possible and it seems that is right. If nothing comes through at all I will probably try to get an inexpensive week in the Palm Springs area instead. Just not sure how else to use the SFX deposit then.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I did check for you...

II shows good availability for weeks 27/28 Aug-Sept. Several Welks etc...
Worldmark shows some availability for resorts....but of course, labor day weekend is sold out.

I'd call SFX...they should be able to dig something up with that much availability on the other exchanges/resorts IMHO YMMV

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Of course you are right that putting more resorts on would increase the odds. But as I am travelling with two kids I am looking for something more resort-like.

Worldmark Anaheim is the newest resort in the area, and is very resort-like and has a large pool.

pool-area.jpg

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark Anaheim is the newest resort in the area, and is very resort-like and has a large pool.

pool-area.jpg

That does look nice... The SFX resort directory only had Dolphin's Cove and Peacock Suites and I didn't like the Peacock Suites as much (okay, I also put on the Grand Californian which wasn't on the list either but you never know). The Worldmark definitely would be nice.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did check for you...

II shows good availability for weeks 27/28 Aug-Sept. Several Welks etc...
Worldmark shows some availability for resorts....but of course, labor day weekend is sold out.

I'd call SFX...they should be able to dig something up with that much availability on the other exchanges/resorts IMHO YMMV

Thanks so much - I really appreciate it. I don't need Labor Day Weekend as we will leave during that week so could only use half of it. The plan is to book a couple of nights in Anaheim if we get something other than Anaheim for the week starting Aug 27/28 (not sure what we will do if we get Anaheim - maybe fly back earlier or stay in LA for a couple of days).

It does sound like there is some availability for what I am looking for so I am feeling better about our chances. I am not much of a phone person but it might be best to call SFX as you say.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What RCI and II can get for you has no direct correlation to what SFX has or will have.

SFX is very small, as far as I can tell, and I have a Diamond membership with a lot of deposits unused with SFX because they say I am too specific on dates and locations.

II and RCI match my needs way before SFX can. I sometimes forget to cancel my OGS with SFX, and they contact me with a near match. SFX wants the request to be flexible dates and locations.

You would be disappointed in Peacock Suites, I think. We don't use pools at many of the places we stay. The units are fine for us. Beds are comfortable, and it's quiet when I want to sleep. That's my criteria.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
What RCI and II can get for you has no direct correlation to what SFX has or will have.

SFX is very small, as far as I can tell, and I have a Diamond membership with a lot of deposits unused with SFX because they say I am too specific on dates and locations.

II and RCI match my needs way before SFX can. I sometimes forget to cancel my OGS with SFX, and they contact me with a near match. SFX wants the request to be flexible dates and locations.

You would be disappointed in Peacock Suites, I think. We don't use pools at many of the places we stay. The units are fine for us. Beds are comfortable, and it's quiet when I want to sleep. That's my criteria.

Obviously, there is no direct correlation between RCI/II/DAE etc... and SFX.

My point, stated with much less subtlety this time, is that the resorts have adequate availability for booking via other methods and, to the point, via other exchanges.

So, if SFX can't find something, perhaps SFX isn't what you need to meet your vacation goals (or your goals are unrealistic).

Many times, when I've discussed buying membership in exchanges or making a deposit, I get the 'oh that exchange is very difficult to get...but if you deposit early...' speech. I could easily book several of the resorts mentioned right now (earlier today) via II/WM or even RCI.

I hope SFX pulls thru for you.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I do realize that SFX is smaller/different. But I have also heard (well actually read here) that they go out and look for resorts people are searching for, either by reaching out to owners (nd I did get several emails last year asking specifically if I would deposit my unit) or via some sort of exchange.

If that is true, they should be able to get something on my list. That really was what I was wondering about - whether the request is so specific that there is no reasonable way it can be fulfilled. But it appears it isn't.

Of course that doesn't mean that SFX will come through. But I do feel more hopeful and if it doesn't work out at least I know that a different exchange company would be better for us in future.

JuliGee

Reaction score
SFX got you a week in London during the Summer? I know timeshare owners who have never been able to get that from RCI or II. You were very fortunate to get that exchange. Over the years, we have tried both RCI and II, and our personal experience has been way better with SFX, by far. Management at Marriott Newport Coast and Donatello where we own both highly recommended SFX to us at the HOA meetings.

So, you are looking for one specific week during the Summer along the CA coast, during the busiest time of the year. I think you will find in that area there is very high owner usage therefore very limited availability for exchange. I also wonder if your deposit has enough trading power for some of those requests? I wish you luck, but in my opinion the odds may not be very good no matter what exchange you use. When I logged into the other exchange companies, I didn’t see any coastal availability sitting there. You are almost setting yourself up to fail. Welk is a nice property, but way inland from the ocean, about a 30 to 45 minute drive depending on traffic. Don’t know about the Worldmark in Anaheim.

Like other posters mentioned, perhaps you should call SFX and discuss it with an agent.

Juli

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
SFX got you a week in London during the Summer? I know timeshare owners who have never been able to get that from RCI or II. You were very fortunate to get that exchange. Over the years, we have tried both RCI and II, and our personal experience has been way better with SFX, by far. Management at Marriott Newport Coast and Donatello where we own both highly recommended SFX to us at the HOA meetings.

So, you are looking for one specific week during the Summer along the CA coast, during the busiest time of the year. I think you will find in that area there is very high owner usage therefore very limited availability for exchange. I also wonder if your deposit has enough trading power for some of those requests? I wish you luck, but in my opinion the odds may not be very good no matter what exchange you use. When I logged into the other exchange companies, I didn’t see any coastal availability sitting there. You are almost setting yourself up to fail. Welk is a nice property, but way inland from the ocean, about a 30 to 45 minute drive depending on traffic. Don’t know about the Worldmark in Anaheim.

Like other posters mentioned, perhaps you should call SFX and discuss it with an agent.

Juli

Yes, I was very happy getting an August week in London with SFX - that's why I deposited again with them. It was the only two bedroom they have at Sloane Gardens and I had only given them a span of two or three weeks so I was indeed very lucky.

In comparison this should be much easier. I realize the one week only request makes it a bit harder but it is at the end of August so should be better than middle of summer. My deposit is a summer week in Southern California so I don't think my request is completely unreasonable.

While maybe not my first choice, I would be quite happy with Welk or Dolphin's Cove. As I said, we are using our own week this year so have a week near the coast. The second week would be more for relaxing/fun at the pool etc.

I realize this might not work out but do have a back-up plan (shouldn't be difficult to get an inexpensive week in Palm Springs). Still, while I was impressed with SFX getting London, I probably won't deposit again with them if they can't find something this time.

JuliGee

Reaction score
Yes, I was very happy getting an August week in London with SFX - that's why I deposited again with them. It was the only two bedroom they have at Sloane Gardens and I had only given them a span of two or three weeks so I was indeed very lucky.

In comparison this should be much easier. I realize the one week only request makes it a bit harder but it is at the end of August so should be better than middle of summer. My deposit is a summer week in Southern California so I don't think my request is completely unreasonable.

While maybe not my first choice, I would be quite happy with Welk or Dolphin's Cove. As I said, we are using our own week this year so have a week near the coast. The second week would be more for relaxing/fun at the pool etc.

I realize this might not work out but do have a back-up plan (shouldn't be difficult to get an inexpensive week in Palm Springs). Still, while I was impressed with SFX getting London, I probably won't deposit again with them if they can't find something this time.

I think you will find the demand for all summer weeks through the Labor Day Holiday week are in equally in the highest demand. I didn't see it in II or RCI. Maybe what you are looking for along the coast simply isn't there? I wonder how many thousands of other people wanted CA coast during the summer, and didn't get their exchange? I Wish you well.

Juli

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you will find the demand for all summer weeks through the Labor Day Holiday week are in equally in the highest demand. I didn't see it in II or RCI. Maybe what you are looking for along the coast simply isn't there? I wonder how many thousands of other people wanted CA coast during the summer, and didn't get their exchange? I Wish you well.

Juli

Thanks - I do hope it will work out. I was hoping that end of August is a bit better than earlier and I thought some of the other posters did see Welk available?

I think my problem is that you can't see inventory with SFX. That is fine if they manage to get good trades (as they did with London last year) that fit one's needs. But if not it would work better for me if I could see what there is available.

Let's say I had a deposit with another exchange company where I can see availability. Maybe I see two great weeks in Florida, New England, or Atlantic Coast. I could then deposit my 2016 week and grab both weeks.

With SFX that doesn't really work as I don't know what they do have. If I for example put in for Orlando I would first have to see what I get. Then I would deposit my second week and again wait without knowing for sure that it will work. As I still have to purchase airfare it is just too risky.

This would work better if I was more flexible with when to travel but can't change this at the moment. And to be honest, as my deposit is on the rare side (Summer in Southern California) as you say, I don't really want to exchange it for a no name resort in an overbuilt place like Orlando during hurricane season.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
II at two different Welk Resorts one shown for example

Mountain Villas at Welk Resorts
Escondido , CA , USA
WMX