• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

recently purchased an HGVC timeshare. Should I rescind? [merged]

jhoney004

Reaction score
my wife and i went to vegas for the cheap weekend getaway and time share presentation with no intention of buying. 3 hours later we're signing paperwork for 2500 points every odd year, with 10,000 bonus points for buying that day, at a total cost of just over $11,000.

we spent a ton of time in the sales area talking it over between us discussing how often we'd like to take vacations, would this help/force us to go on vacations more, this will be worth it over the course of our lives cause we can find a way to make the best of the system so it can pay for itself basically. I'm hoping this is kind of a normal convo for first time buyers.

but now i'm looking online and a lot of things say I should send it back so I can buy resale since it'll be so much cheaper and the bonus points probably weren't worth it. I also can't seem to find anyone that's really happy with their HGVC timeshare.

my question: did we get a good deal? should we rescind the purchase (i can do that within 5 days right?)? Is HGVC even worth having?

please help

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You overpaid by 13k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CTighe

Reaction score
my wife and i went to vegas for the cheap weekend getaway and time share presentation with no intention of buying. 3 hours later we're signing paperwork for 2500 points every odd year, with 10,000 bonus points for buying that day, at a total cost of just over $11,000.

we spent a ton of time in the sales area talking it over between us discussing how often we'd like to take vacations, would this help/force us to go on vacations more, this will be worth it over the course of our lives cause we can find a way to make the best of the system so it can pay for itself basically. I'm hoping this is kind of a normal convo for first time buyers.

but now i'm looking online and a lot of things say I should send it back so I can buy resale since it'll be so much cheaper and the bonus points probably weren't worth it. I also can't seem to find anyone that's really happy with their HGVC timeshare.

my question: did we get a good deal? should we rescind the purchase (i can do that within 5 days right?)? Is HGVC even worth having?

please help

Rescind!! You can get 2500 points for next to free.
There is a 5000 point on the tug marketplace right now for $750

Last edited:

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hgvc is well worth having, but not at that price. Rescind and do some research before buying resale.

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind now. The number of points you bought can barely get you 2 to 3 days stay. Because it is every other year you can't even combine 2 years worth of points to get a longer stay. That makes it worth very little. Buy resale after you learn more about the system.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to TUG, you just saved 11 grand =)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Since you are asking I would say rescind then study what you were going to buy to see if it's really worth that kind of money. If it is, you can go back and buy at the same price next week.

If you find it isn't worth it you'll be glad you took advantage of the very short time you are allowed to rescind.

Study, study, and study some more then decide to buy or not but rescind while you can.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

To give you an example of how that amount of points is completely unhelpful for booking a vacation, I recently book a 3 night stay at Trump Las Vegas in a one bedroom for over 3,000 points.

People are giving away next to free 3500 annual points packages on Ebay and on here. Cancel your contract immediately (as in this very moment) and then research HGVC on here and decide if you really want to pay annual dues for it for the rest of your life. Then, find a nice resale.

jhoney004

Reaction score
alright well i'll be running home today to read the contract and figure out exactly how to rescind (purchased in nevada but i think the property we technically purchased was in san diego).

is HGVC worth owning at all? My wife and I are 28 and though maybe this was a good idea since it would be ours forever but it sounds like 2500 points is way too low to be useful. what would be more reasonable if we wanted to take a good vacation every other 16-24 months?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying in Nevada is what governs the amount of time you have to rescind. It's 7 days.

Nothing difficult, just a simple letter saying you want to rescind contract #___________ Dated_____________

Signed _________ Husband _____________ Wife

make a copy of the signature page to include. If they gave you a bunch of stuff, say you'll return it to the sales office under separate cover and send it cheapest means.

Send the letter to the business office listed, not the sales office, send it Certified, w/return receipt, and keep the receipt from the post office.

Stay off the phone with them.

When you decide to buy, buy resale and the MF is the same for 5000 points as 3000, so buy 5. it's more usable.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
is HGVC worth owning at all? My wife and I are 28 and though maybe this was a good idea since it would be ours forever but it sounds like 2500 points is way too low to be useful. what would be more reasonable if we wanted to take a good vacation every other 16-24 months?

I love HGVC as many other owners here do. There are many happy HGVC owners here. If you want to stay in their properties when you vacation, it is worth owning. If you were more interested in trading in RCI or using points towards cruises and other stuff, it isn't worth owning as you can get much less expensive options.

It does force us to take vacations we'd probably never take. A nice thing about HGVC is that you can borrow points from next year if you need to use more points this year. That isn't possible if you buy an every other year contract, but you could bank and borrow. If you get points in 2016 and 2018, you could bank (for a fee) your points to 2016 and borrow points from 2018 to take a larger vacation in 2017. I find it much easier to have every year points for myself.

Think about where you want to vacation and we can suggest other timeshares if they will work better. Of course, for many people, not owning any timeshares works, too. Owners often have more than they can use will rent out their timeshares.

jhoney004

Reaction score
I love HGVC as many other owners here do. There are many happy HGVC owners here. If you want to stay in their properties when you vacation, it is worth owning. If you were more interested in trading in RCI or using points towards cruises and other stuff, it isn't worth owning as you can get much less expensive options.

one of the selling points for us was the ability to get weeks through RCI at a low fee. If we buy resale do we still have that ability? or do you have to use the purchased points for RCI?

that didn't seem like a good idea since there's like a $200 fee to transfer points and get the RCI rooms. Am I understanding this right?

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
alright well i'll be running home today to read the contract and figure out exactly how to rescind (purchased in nevada but i think the property we technically purchased was in san diego).

We're new Hilton owners and are very happy! We bought resale and feel it's more than worth every penny!! It's such a blessing to our family! We are cherishing quality time together in accommodations that are normally reserved for wealthier people!!

I'd say... to figure out how many points is right for you and your family, look at all the properties and how many points it takes to book these locations. Also consider future travel goals.

Many others here have so much knowledge and experience and can help you with this!

Good luck!!

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
The product is very good as long as you commit to using it. I have been very satisfied with my resale purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought resale in 2010 and are happy with our purchase. We own at South Beach and only use the points for South Beach and the relatively new resort in Italy. My experience after being a frequent reader of this Board and the FB page is as follows:

Those that bought resale = generally happy with the product although some concerns about the ever increasing maintenance fees (which are due as long as you are an owner and pass to your estate) and Hilton management fees. But keep in mind that since taxes, health insurance, salaries and other costs of operating the property do not normally go down, then maintenance fees must go up very year. So increasing maintenance fees are a fact of life. We have experienced increases of 2.5-4.5% per year so keep this in mind. Also spend time reading this Board. You will find the best value for your purchase is a 7000 point annual package. Do not borrow money to buy a timeshare. Learn about home week and the restrictions on Open Season. Understand that the maintenance fees vary from resort to resort and determine what is best for you. DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU WILL USE THE POINTS. After you have "been to class" buy from one of the reputable brokers often mentioned on this site.

Those that bought retail = when they learn of the resale market, generally feel taken, ripped-off, cheated, lied to etc....all of which is probably true. Many cannot put this behind them and continue to find things to complain about. Those that do put it behind them fall into the previous category above.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
one of the selling points for us was the ability to get weeks through RCI at a low fee. If we buy resale do we still have that ability? or do you have to use the purchased points for RCI?

that didn't seem like a good idea since there's like a $200 fee to transfer points and get the RCI rooms. Am I understanding this right?

Anyone with any RCI affiliated timeshare can get the cheap last minute weeks. They are not Hilton quality. You will be able to get them with a resale Hilton or even with a $1. timeshare that has very low annual fees.

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought resale in 2010 and are happy with our purchase. We own at South Beach and only use the points for South Beach and the relatively new resort in Italy. My experience after being a frequent reader of this Board and the FB page is as follows:

Those that bought resale = generally happy with the product although some concerns about the ever increasing maintenance fees (which are due as long as you are an owner) and Hilton management fees. But keep in mind that since taxes, health insurance, salaries and other costs of operating the property do not normally go down, then maintenance fees must go up very year. So increasing maintenance fees are a fact of life. We have experienced increases of 2.5-4.5% per year so keep this in mind. Also spend time reading this Board. You will find the best value for your purchase is a 7000 point annual package. Do not borrow money to buy a timeshare. Learn about home week and the restrictions on Open Season. Understand that the maintenance fees vary from resort to resort and determine what is best for you. DO NOT BUY UNLESS YOU ARE CERTAIN YOU WILL USE THE POINTS. After you have "been to class" buy from one of the reputable broker often mentioned on this site.

Those that bought retail = when they learn of the resale market, generally feel taken, ripped-off, cheated, lied to etc....all of which is probably true. Many cannot put this behind them and continue to find things to complain about. Those that do put it behind them fall into the previous category above.

Just my opinion.

We second this :)

We are happy HGVC owners. We have used our points for HGVC stays and RCI stays. We have used the HGVC cash open season and a SFX last minute deal too. Some of these trips we would not have taken if we didn't own HGVC. I'm 50 yrs old and wish I had known about HGVC and DVC when I was your age :)

Like you, our first HGVC purchase was at full retail price. We rescinded that purchase and started studying the posts on TUG. We learned that a 7000 point contract was right for us. We purchased resale from Seth Nock who was also very helpful in teaching us how to get the most out of our HGVC points.

So our advice is to rescind immediately and educate yourself on the ins and outs of HGVC.

Best of luck :)

jhoney004

Reaction score
Like you, our first HGVC purchase was at full retail price. We rescinded that purchase and started studying the posts on TUG. We learned that a 7000 point contract was right for us. We purchased resale from Seth Nock who was also very helpful in teaching us how to get the most out of our HGVC points.

So our advice is to rescind immediately and educate yourself on the ins and outs of HGVC.

so is/was there any fee to rescinding? or do we get all of our deposit back with no penalties?

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
so is/was there any fee to rescinding? or do we get all of our deposit back with no penalties?

We rescinded, following the directions in the contract and using advice from TUG and received a full refund of our deposit within a week. We charged our deposit to a credit card so the money never really exchanged hands.

jhoney004

Reaction score
I'm going through the contract to find the info on rescinding now. anyone remember where it was approximately in the stack of papers?

jhoney004

Reaction score
I have all the materials together (as far as i can tell)

there wasn't any info in the contract about where i can fax or email everything. Should i email/fax it to the person who went through the contract with us? or is there a different customer service email or hotel fax I should use? We bought it at the HGVC on the blvd in vegas.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I'm looking forward to going through the forums to figure out what is right for us.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not email or fax. Find the address and send your rescission letter by certified US mail.

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have all the materials together (as far as i can tell)

there wasn't any info in the contract about where i can fax or email everything. Should i email/fax it to the person who went through the contract with us? or is there a different customer service email or hotel fax I should use? We bought it at the HGVC on the blvd in vegas.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I'm looking forward to going through the forums to figure out what is right for us.

There should be an address in the contract packet. Mail your letter with proof of delivery to the address in your contract. Do not fax or email.

If you make personal contact with anyone at HGVC, they will try to talk you out of rescinding. I received a call when HGVC received our rescission letter. They offered us more bonus points to try to get us to change our mind.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the rescission (cancellation) info is near the end (signature page) in fairly fine print. For obvious reasons, they don't make it prominent. I gave you other info and hints in #11.

There is no cost or penalty for rescission. It literally means setting the whole transaction back as if it never happened.

Best not to answer the phone to unknown numbers for a while. They may call and try to sweeten the pot or talk you out of the rescission, but truly, no offer they can make will hold a candle to buying resale.

Jim