• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A World Leading Scientist on the Search for Extraterrestials...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
A World Leading Scientist on the Search for Extraterrestials Pointed Out a Flaw in Stephen Hawking's Fear of Finding Intelligent Aliens - by Jessica Orwig/ Science/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

"For decades, humans have been hunting for extraterrestrial intelligence, but 32 years after the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute was founded, the cosmos remains eerily quiet.

This silence has influenced a new group of experts over recent years which says it's time to stop listening and start talking — by deliberately transmitting messages into space for anyone who might be searching for them. They call the project Active SETI.

Many intellectual leaders of our age, including Stephen Hawking, say that the idea behind Active SETI should be avoided at all cost, but co-founder and former director of the Center for SETI Research at the SETI Institute, Jill Tarter, pointed out a serious flaw in Hawking's philosophy..."

Richard

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find this interesting.

With our modern technology space travel to the next star is impossible. Traveling to other stars is farther still. Another galaxy would be mind numbing.

So why is it this way?

Is it because we are so far behind in terms of technology, or is it because we're so far ahead and no other being is as far. Maybe it is that whatever created all of this wanted us to stay away from other forms of life.

It is all very interesting to ponder. I hope I will see some answers in my life time.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought we were already broadcasting the same message over and over into space via SETI?

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I would prefer we not send messages out. If they're out there why tell them where we are? We've got enough trouble getting along with fellow earthlings.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would prefer we not send messages out. If they're out there why tell them where we are? We've got enough trouble getting along with fellow earthlings.

You have been watching to many bad alien movies. LOL. I hope?
only times will tell. Not in our life time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even transmitting something like "Here we are on this blue marble, 3rd rock from an insignificant sun. C'mon down" will take hundreds/thousands/millions of years to reach listening ears at the speed of light, then the same amount of time for a reply to return.

Don't lose sleep worrying about the consequences for the next few thousand generations. Humankind will have ceased to exist in any recognizable form by then.

Jim

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
Even transmitting something like "Here we are on this blue marble, 3rd rock from an insignificant sun. C'mon down" will take hundreds/thousands/millions of years to reach listening ears at the speed of light, then the same amount of time for a reply to return.

Don't lose sleep worrying about the consequences for the next few thousand generations. Humankind will have ceased to exist in any recognizable form by then.

Jim
But we will still owe MF's! !

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

YEAH!

'cause WHAT IF they know a way to get thru the Marriott Reservation line at 9am ahead of us? That could be disastrous. I'm for reining it in.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
YEAH!

'cause WHAT IF they know a way to get thru the Marriott Reservation line at 9am ahead of us? That could be disastrous. I'm for reining it in.

:hysterical:

I stopped at a WalMart today, after which I respectfully submit that we need not reach out into space to find or to communicate with extraterrestrial life. :shrug:
I had seen the word "Walmartians" before, but a first hand visit has provided new meaning and insight for me.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
:hysterical:

I stopped at a WalMart today, after which I respectfully submit that we need not reach out into space to find or to communicate with extraterrestrial life. :shrug:
I had seen the word "Walmartians" before, but a first hand visit has provided new meaning and insight for me.

Yikes!! See what I mean, they may have already found us.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm with Stephen Hawking on this one.

4516915f662e8fad80f657d9c49bc5b9.jpg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
ET the movie was not base upon a real alien. I am truly disappointed in Hollywood.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score

Stephen Hawking has said it probably is not a wise idea to broadcast where we are. We may have regrets.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
A Research Team Has an Unsettling Explanation for Why We Haven't Found Aliens by Matt Williams/ Universe Today/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

"In 1950, physicist Enrico Fermi raised a very important question about the universe and the existence of extraterrestrial life.

Given the size and age of the universe, he said, and the statistical probability of life emerging in other solar systems, why is it that humanity has not seen any indications of life emerging in the cosmos?

This query, known as the Fermi Paradox, continues to haunt us to this day.

Richard

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We've been transmitting a holy cacophony of electronic signals in every direction and on every frequency "from DC to daylight" for 125 years now. I don't think there's any need for a sign, a la Wily Coyote, saying "here we are."

Any civilization able to hear it has surely said "What the heck is all that ruckus over there?" by now.

As for Fermi, although the cosmos is vast, its density is the opposite, so I don't believe our failure to hear anything means anything yet.