• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

List of Timeshare Companies Under Investigation/Legal Action Taken Against Them

cdn_travellr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone wondering if a certain timeshare reseller/broker/buyback company is a scam or if they've had complaints against them may want to check this list (in addition to other due diligence like BBB, complaints websites, etc.) It's from 2013 but it includes numerous companies from each state that had legal action taken against them or were under investigation by the FTC. Also lists some of the principal players names which could be useful if they've since opened new companies.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...tional-effort/130606timesharechartactions.pdf

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a very interesting list, with many familiar names. Thanks for posting.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Helpful posts....... Scams are sometimes hard to see!

Larry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great list

Great list. Next time I get a call from any timeshare "exit or resolution" company I will ask them to call me back after I check if they are on the list of timeshare scammers. If they call back (which I am sure they won't) I will tell them that I would like to hear what they will do for me, so I can take notes to refer them to the NY attorney generals office so they can start an investigation and add them to scammers list.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great link!

also if you want to find a previous discussion about a company here to post an update (or link you find in the above link)...this is quick and easy as well!

http://search.tug2.net

Edsgolfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone wondering if a certain timeshare reseller/broker/buyback company is a scam or if they've had complaints against them may want to check this list (in addition to other due diligence like BBB, complaints websites, etc.) It's from 2013 but it includes numerous companies from each state that had legal action taken against them or were under investigation by the FTC. Also lists some of the principal players names which could be useful if they've since opened new companies.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...tional-effort/130606timesharechartactions.pdf
Why do I always feel "dirty" when I start working on my timeshare sale? This business, broadly defined, has to be about as bad as it gets.

Tonight I met with a representative of a company called Resort Closing Network. Using the Red Flag scenario they violate 1 (they contacted us) and 3 (up front fees) but clearly avoid saying anything about selling or getting any value out of the timeshare. Their fees are substantial and their agreement confusing. They appear to be a relatively new organization apparently started in 2013 and operate out of Florida and South Carolina. I found nothing negative about them on the list, BBB or Google.

Their representative had a stack of files he claimed to be new agreements to get people out of their timeshare. If this is a scam it is yet another scar for the business and I want to avoid it for myself and maybe anyone else that may be attracted to a way out.

Has anyone had experience with them

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing this web link.

CFrankart

Reaction score
Why do I always feel "dirty" when I start working on my timeshare sale? This business, broadly defined, has to be about as bad as it gets.

Tonight I met with a representative of a company called Resort Closing Network. Using the Red Flag scenario they violate 1 (they contacted us) and 3 (up front fees) but clearly avoid saying anything about selling or getting any value out of the timeshare. Their fees are substantial and their agreement confusing. They appear to be a relatively new organization apparently started in 2013 and operate out of Florida and South Carolina. I found nothing negative about them on the list, BBB or Google.

Their representative had a stack of files he claimed to be new agreements to get people out of their timeshare. If this is a scam it is yet another scar for the business and I want to avoid it for myself and maybe anyone else that may be attracted to a way out.

Has anyone had experience with them
I too have been contacted by this company, set an appointment but wonder if I should keep it. I really want to get out of my timeshare but there are so many scams! Anyone have an answer for us?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have been contacted by this company, set an appointment but wonder if I should keep it. I really want to get out of my timeshare but there are so many scams! Anyone have an answer for us?

While it might be an outright "scam" operation, it is more likely what has commonly been known as a PostCard Company or PCC. In essence, you would meet with their "reps" and listen to them rail on about the many horrors, perils and pitfalls of timeshare ownership --- from which they segue into claiming to be your salvation.

You would then pay them serious money (...usually a few thousand dollars --- sound good so far? ;)) and sign a Power of Attorney, authorizing them to try to get rid of your timeshare. They might do so (perhaps by dumping it on eBay for a buck, which you could do for yourself without them being involved at all in the first place).

Alternatively, they might do nothing at all (except keep your money) and leave you still owning the timeshare. Finally, they could attempt to transfer the ownership into a dummy LLC or "Viking Ship", which could very well backfire, since smart resorts will just overtly reject and not even acknowledge any and all such bogus transfers.

In short, getting involved with such people is surely a waste of time and money. There are numerous other ways to lawfully part company with unwanted timeshares.

This thread was initially about outfits known to be under investigation, but has somehow gone sideways into questions about heretofore unknown entities. :shrug:

Last edited:

FrankL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare Buyers

Has anyone heard of and/or had business with a Company called US Owners Advocates. They are in Hallandale, Florida and affiliated with Smart Life Solutions, Inc of Baltimore, MD.

They approached me in buying my timeshare and have stated that they will make me a "fair market value" offer.

Comments?

Thanks.

Vertrag

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of and/or had business with a Company called US Owners Advocates. They are in Hallandale, Florida and affiliated with Smart Life Solutions, Inc of Baltimore, MD.

They approached me in buying my timeshare and have stated that they will make me a "fair market value" offer.

Comments?

Thanks.
Haven't heard of them but I guarantee their "fair market value" will be less than $0 - in other words - they will try to convince you to pay them thousands of dollars for them to take ownership of the timeshare.

This group must have just sent in a big mailing because I've come across two of their letters and it sounds like Frank got one too.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
any company that contacts you out of the blue with an "offer" on your timeshare is looking to rip you off...period.

Vertrag

Reaction score
Haven't heard of them but I guarantee their "fair market value" will be less than $0 - in other words - they will try to convince you to pay them thousands of dollars for them to take ownership of the timeshare.

PS found this trying to do some research on them. Here is what I have found:

Their Baltimore phone number is down as is their website from this BBB listing:
http://www.bbb.org/nashville/busine...s/us-owners-advocate-in-baltimore-md-37046716

The website and pitch sound familiar to another group whose website and marketing material were similar https://twitter.com/ownersadvocate aka TheOwnersAdvocate.com - they could be the same group or a copycat. The nashville company lists a Baltimore MD address that is the same as The Smart Life Way's addrees and Kay Metko, an agent for US Owners Advocate there, was a named defendant in the lawsuit between Wyndham and TOA
http://www.leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20130319906/WYNDHAM VACATION RESORTS, INC. v. TOA, LLC

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
PS found this trying to do some research on them. Here is what I have found:

Their Baltimore phone number is down as is their website from this BBB listing:
http://www.bbb.org/nashville/busine...s/us-owners-advocate-in-baltimore-md-37046716

The website and pitch sound familiar to another group whose website and marketing material were similar https://twitter.com/ownersadvocate aka TheOwnersAdvocate.com - they could be the same group or a copycat. The nashville company lists a Baltimore MD address that is the same as The Smart Life Way's addrees and Kay Metko, an agent for US Owners Advocate there, was a named defendant in the lawsuit between Wyndham and TOA
http://www.leagle.com/decision/In FDCO 20130319906/WYNDHAM VACATION RESORTS, INC. v. TOA, LLC

The website is registered to PrivacyProtect.org, with a Queensland, AU address. This is a proxy service that allows the scammer to avoid having his name revealed on a WHOIS search.

The Wyndham v TOA case was very interesting. Pretty ballzy to sneak into a resort and pass "We'll help you get out of your timeshare" flyers under all the doors.

Reaction score
What about TimeShareByOwner

Just got scammed by these guys - very slick operators. They do advertise (sort of) but have lots of tricks to get more money out of you.

Reaction score
I suggest you call your timeshare and ask how to get out of your contract. At Villa del Palmar, you can simply surrender your timeshare ... walk away.

Worldmark will also let you out, not sure what the deal is, and I like Worldmark, but so many people want out, perhaps the legit timeshare companies are making it possible.

Can't hurt to call.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! Very sorry to hear you got scammed before you found us!

we suggest that as well...

and the information to do this for wyndham, worldmark and DRI are posted at the top of each of their forums.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
gotta love the "ATSAA" Seal of Approval

Association of Timeshare Scammers of America & Affiliates? --- or does ATSAA actually stand for something legitimate that I'm just missing here? ;)

Last edited:

RichItch

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(formerly): Shell Vacations Club / Wyndham
Thanks for sharing this web link.
Resort Closing Network has an A- from BBB, but that doesn't mean they're an ethical company at all. They cold-called us, sent a team of two to visit our house, accepted thousands of dollars to help us get rid of our timeshare. We believed that getting out of our contract would have required much more money than that, and RCN did nothing to disabuse us of that notion. It turned out that Shell Vacations Club/Wyndham has a program called Ovation, by which owners can simply contact them and end their relationship without paying a single dime extra. RCN's actions may have been 'legal', but an *ethical* approach would have been to contact Shell to see if they had an exit program. If so, they should have walked away. We had to learn the hard way. :wall: Bottom line: A good rating by BBB means nothing!

janechiong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Moritts Tortuga Club, Mittersill Alpine Resort

janechiong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Moritts Tortuga Club, Mittersill Alpine Resort
Can anyone tell me of a good company to get rid of your timeshare. My resort will not take it back and hear from so many companies...just heard from Resort Release...is there a list of good companies?

Jane

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what efforts have you made sofar to try to give it away for $1 on the reslae market?

whatever you do, avoid any company that wants you to pay any significant upfront fee.