• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Was this smart or did I mess up?

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
Hello Everyone,

I just was surfing the web and found a Grandview 80,000 point TS for clearance for a Total price of $30, including closing costs and all other fees. It is a clearance on Sumday. Maintenance fees are around $730. Annual points for use 2016. MF due Jan 1, to be billed for 2017 use year. I am hoping I learned something during my time watching here..... I don't really need it, but for $30..... And I have brothers and sisters who would maybe take vacations if I had extra points.....

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
80,000 RCI Points for $730/yr is not a bad deal- or maybe it is, if you can't use them. Paying $730 a year for something you have to beg family/friends to use for you is not too sharp. Maybe the thing to do is interest THEM in making the purchase.

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
That is true and I had thought of that. I have actually been working on my brother to seriously consider this. :)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Certainly seems like a decent enough deal to me, assuming that the 80K RCI points is, in fact, the annual (not biennial) point allotment and is not a combined figure from any previous "carryover", mistakenly (even if only innocently) misrepresented in an ad. It's certainly worth asking for confirmation and verification.

I don't own RCI Points, but still think their flexibility is attractive (when the price is right), providing an option to use those points elsewhere besides the home resort.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Also, if your brother bought it then he'd have access to all the RCI Last Calls & Extra Vacation weeks which is cheaper than owning more weeks if he doesnt mind going where & when
there's availability.

~Diane

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just was surfing the web and found a Grandview 80,000 point TS for clearance for a Total price of $30, including closing costs and all other fees. It is a clearance on Sumday. Maintenance fees are around $730. Annual points for use 2016. MF due Jan 1, to be billed for 2017 use year. I am hoping I learned something during my time watching here..... I don't really need it, but for $30..... And I have brothers and sisters who would maybe take vacations if I had extra points.....

The best Grandview points you can buy is 122K, but you're going to pay more upfront (Same MF). Still, MF per point isn't bad in the scheme of things. I wish I'd gotten that deal instead of my fixed week. :)

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Would Grandview combine my points into one timeshare for 1 Maintenance fee? I would have 2 GRandview timeshares, 98,000 and the 80,000. It would be 178,000 points total....

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would Grandview combine my points into one timeshare for 1 Maintenance fee? I would have 2 GRandview timeshares, 98,000 and the 80,000. It would be 178,000 points total....

No. Grandview are all Week intervals. some are converted into points. You pay MFs for your intervals, not the points.

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
It was worth a shot. :)

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Thank you also Diane and Theo. my brother goes on vacation every year and is now talking he wants to hit all 50 states with the kids. I am trying to talk him into getting it.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I bought a timeshare from Sumday too! Have already traded it twice. The resort lets me trade in advance as long as current Maintenence is paid. I may never go to this resort, because I have traded it for other places I want to go. I also got it for $30. And it has a low Maintenence fee. But I am done buying timeshares, trying to give one away! But not this one!
Silentg

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
I have used so far to trade into Stonebridge in Branson and Saratoga Springs at Disney. Places I wouldn't normally be able to do. In fact, I was able to get 2 1 bed room units at SSR with my Grandview timeshare.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Thank you also Diane and Theo. my brother goes on vacation every year and is now talking he wants to hit all 50 states with the kids. I am trying to talk him into getting it.

Kids complicate the exchange process because they are likely locked into school calendars for vacation time. That makes the hard exchanges even tougher.

Lots of states have no timeshares or very few. He can certainly hit a number of states using timeshares (and have great places to stay) but to go to all 50, he will definitely be using hotels or some other rented lodging for many of them.

We traveled with four kids and wouldn't have been able to do it any other way, but he needs to be aware that it isn't as easy as just making a paid reservation. Depending on the age of the kids, it also gets harder to plan ahead, as is essential with timeshares in school vacations, because their schedules in the off times get so complicated as they get older.

I would hesitate to talk a family member into getting into timesharing, just in case he isn't happy with it later. It isn't for everybody. Some people would be better off just renting where they want to go when they want to do, even if it costs a little more.

Sheila

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Noted, Sheila. Good point.