• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another Cash Grab this time by RCI

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Upgrades or resort changes within 2 weeks of check in...

"If one of the resorts you specified becomes available, RCI will automatically change your reservation and provide you with all the details. If you requested a unit upgrade, RCI will upgrade your reservation at your confirmed resort if a bigger unit becomes available*. Requests will be fulfilled three to 14 days in advance of check-in. If a resort change or unit upgrade is confirmed, the transaction fee is $49, which will be charged at the time the resort c
change or upgrade occurs."

Very nice of them to find additional ways to get revenue...

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's optional and a nice feature. I'm sure many would gladly pay $49 to upgrade to a larger unit. In the past, you would have had to cancel and rebook, which would have cost another exchange fee and possibly more points/TPUs.

I think this benefit is still free if you are a platinum member, which we are, but I have not seen anywhere where you can specilfy resorts. Where did you see this?

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's optional and a nice feature. I'm sure many would gladly pay $49 to upgrade to a larger unit. In the past, you would have had to cancel and rebook, which would have cost another exchange fee and possibly more points/TPUs.

I think this benefit is still free if you are a platinum member, which we are, but I have not seen anywhere where you can specilfy resorts. Where did you see this?

HGVC club traveler.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So for HGVC members, does this mean I have the possibility of getting an upgraded room without spending extra HGVC points on the exchange -- only a $49 upgrade charge? If so, that is fantastic!

For example, get a 2BR RCI property for 3400 HGVC points (normal 1BR rate) and $49. Sounds like a deal to me! I wouldn't exactly call this a "cash grab" -- they are providing a valuable upgrade for that $49.

Kurt

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'd be fine with II getting that 'optional' feature. Save me a lot of time with eplus daily/hourly searches.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
So for HGVC members, does this mean I have the possibility of getting an upgraded room without spending extra HGVC points on the exchange -- only a $49 upgrade charge? If so, that is fantastic!

For example, get a 2BR RCI property for 3400 HGVC points (normal 1BR rate) and $49. Sounds like a deal to me! I wouldn't exactly call this a "cash grab" -- they are providing a valuable upgrade for that $49.

Kurt

While it sounds great in reality it doesn't make sense.

If you are traveling with more than 4 people you need to book 2BR anyway in most cases at a minimum (max occupancy of I think 6).

If you book a 1BR you would only be traveling as a group of 4 people and were probably fine with a 1BR.

3 Days out you are offered to upgrade to a 2BR for 50 bucks. you arn't going to magically have 2 more people join you, it will just be a convinence factor. I would imagine that for High demand resorts/locations/times you will never get an upgrade (think Key West/ DVC, NY etc). The places where you can get an upgrade will be places where there is an overabundance of resorts anyway (think Orlando or Vegas), and those are the places where you can pick up a last call 2BR for ~$300/week which is a much better deal then the MF + 209 exchange fee + $49 "Upgrade" fee.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could see taking advantage of this. Specific week and location trumps size in many situations, so we accept a trade for a smaller unit than what we'd like (especially when we're bringing kids). When it's DH and me, we may take a studio, but I'd much prefer a 1BR! I'd love to get upgraded for $49. I also like that you don't pay for it upfront (like you do with Interval's EPlus).

From HGVC -

Here’s how it works:

When you book an exchange reservation online at the RCI website, a prompt will appear on the Confirmation Details page that says “Upgrades and Changes.” If you’re booking your exchange reservation on the phone, let the representative know you’re interested in a resort change or unit upgrade.

Either way you book, you can specify up to five resorts at which you would like to stay within your destination region for a resort change.

If one of the resorts you specified becomes available, RCI will automatically change your reservation and provide you with all the details. If you requested a unit upgrade, RCI will upgrade your reservation at your confirmed resort if a bigger unit becomes available*. Requests will be fulfilled three to 14 days in advance of check-in. If a resort change or unit upgrade is confirmed, the transaction fee is $49, which will be charged at the time the resort change or upgrade occurs.​

Last edited:

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you are traveling with more than 4 people you need to book 2BR anyway in most cases at a minimum (max occupancy of I think 6).

If you book a 1BR you would only be traveling as a group of 4 people and were probably fine with a 1BR.

3 Days out you are offered to upgrade to a 2BR for 50 bucks. you arn't going to magically have 2 more people join you, it will just be a convinence factor. I would imagine that for High demand resorts/locations/times you will never get an upgrade (think Key West/ DVC, NY etc). The places where you can get an upgrade will be places where there is an overabundance of resorts anyway (think Orlando or Vegas), and those are the places where you can pick up a last call 2BR for ~$300/week which is a much better deal then the MF + 209 exchange fee + $49 "Upgrade" fee.

Not true -it's rare but it does happen. We got a free upgrade (because we are RCI Platinum) at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset in Cabo during Thanksgiving week a couple of years ago. Even though there were only three adults in our party, going from a 1br to a 2br was terrific. Granted, it is not DVC or NYC but it was what we needed and wanted.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

While it may not make sense to you, this would be a very worthwhile spend of $49 to me. No, it is not going to change the number of people going on the vacation, but it will make the vacation more enjoyable for all. In my case, when we book a 1BR my teenage daughter has to sleep on the pull-out in the living room. We would love a 2BR all the time, but sometimes there just isn't one available at booking time, and sometimes we want to save the extra points for other vacations. A 2BR gives us more space and flexibility on bed times, etc. Well worth the $49 for me.

Given that the upgrade is totally optional, I think this is a great new benefit and hardly a "cash grab".

Kurt

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I thought it sounded ok too.

It's not just for a bigger room but potentially a better location.

I guess Jason245 thinks everything is a "cash grab."

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it sounded ok too.

It's not just for a bigger room but potentially a better location.

I guess Jason245 thinks everything is a "cash grab."
Damn straight. .lol...

They will move your resort and keep you in same room size and charge you for it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just boooked Tuscany last night via HGVC RCI portal. It was cheaper to get a 1br for 3400 points and pay the rci fee than to use my 4800 points. I clicked on the $49 upgrade for a 2br at Tuscany if it became available. You are only charged if it becomes available which it might be since we are in orlando and I see a bunch of units available in HGVC. It's just the 3 of us and son has to sleep in the LR on sofa bed so 1br works fine. But for $49 and the same amount of points to get a 2br unit it is a worthwhile upgrade fee for me. The 1br units via hgvc are 4800 points and 7000 points for a 2br. So for 3400 points + $209 + $49 = way better than using 7000 HGVC points!

Best part is pay only if you get an upgrade.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just boooked Tuscany last night via HGVC RCI portal. It was cheaper to get a 1br for 3400 points and pay the rci fee than to use my 4800 points. I clicked on the $49 upgrade for a 2br at Tuscany if it became available. You are only charged if it becomes available which it might be since we are in orlando and I see a bunch of units available in HGVC. It's just the 3 of us and son has to sleep in the LR on sofa bed so 1br works fine. But for $49 and the same amount of points to get a 2br unit it is a worthwhile upgrade fee for me. The 1br units via hgvc are 4800 points and 7000 points for a 2br. So for 3400 points + $209 + $49 = way better than using 7000 HGVC points!

Best part is pay only if you get an upgrade.

Keep us apprised of when you are going and what happens.

It will be interesting to see what happens in your situation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Upgrades for $49 can be great

While it may not make sense to you, this would be a very worthwhile spend of $49 to me. No, it is not going to change the number of people going on the vacation, but it will make the vacation more enjoyable for all. In my case, when we book a 1BR my teenage daughter has to sleep on the pull-out in the living room. We would love a 2BR all the time, but sometimes there just isn't one available at booking time, and sometimes we want to save the extra points for other vacations. A 2BR gives us more space and flexibility on bed times, etc. Well worth the $49 for me.

Given that the upgrade is totally optional, I think this is a great new benefit and hardly a "cash grab".

Kurt
I agree that an upgrade can be very useful and beneficial for $49.

My husband and I have been upgraded in the past from Studio to a 1 BR. An upgrade of that kind can give you a full kitchen instead of a partial kitchen which may mean an oven and stove and a large refrigerator instead of only a microwave and one of those small refrigerators. This way he can cook full meals and we can have a great dinner in the apartment instead of just breakfast and lunch.

We have taken our 2 grandchildren, daughter and son-in-law on a number of vacations. We tr to book a 3 BR, but sometimes they are not available. With a 2 BR we either sleep in a bedroom with the Grandchildren on 2 Queen Beds if available or on the sleeper couch in the living room since we let our daughter and son-in law have the master bedroom. An upgrade to a 3 BR would have been great.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This would be great for me. When we traveled (2 people) recently and a last minute upgrade in eplus to a two bedroom came available we grabbed it. I would gladly pay $49 for the same privilege in RCI. It was nice to have two bathrooms, two closets and two living rooms in case we wanted to watch different shows. And we VERY rarely have people sleep on sofas since we have all adults in our travel circle.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have not used RCI much, but this seems like a decent offer, particular since its voluntary... I am usually more focused on have best travel experience than than getting the lowest possible cost.. Depending on the trip, i have been known to pay for an upgraded room. But that depends on the property and and location.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
Forgive me, because I'm new, here, and don't fully understand some of the ins and outs. (And my first attempt at a purchase hasn't closed, yet...)

So, is the gist of this that, if you have HGVC points, you can deposit those points into RCI, and then use them to book an HGVC unit through RCI, rather than internally through HGVC. There are additional fees attached to that, compared to just booking internally in the HGVC system, but it might be possible to get the same unit for fewer points through RCI than HGVC (understanding that there are additional fees attached), and there also might be the possibility of an upgrade, for another additional fee.

Is that how it works, more or less?

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Forgive me, because I'm new, here, and don't fully understand some of the ins and outs. (And my first attempt at a purchase hasn't closed, yet...)

So, is the gist of this that, if you have HGVC points, you can deposit those points into RCI, and then use them to book an HGVC unit through RCI, rather than internally through HGVC. There are additional fees attached to that, compared to just booking internally in the HGVC system, but it might be possible to get the same unit for fewer points through RCI than HGVC (understanding that there are additional fees attached), and there also might be the possibility of an upgrade, for another additional fee.

Yes. But it doesn't have to just be HGVC it could be any unit.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Thats how it can work but there is a limitation, the HGVC portal into RCI limits you to availibility within 9 months for HGVC units, just like the hgvc club season. You may be able to get late deposits and cancellations but you will miss the bulk deposits which occur more than 9 months out.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who has priority? The platinum RCI member who prepaid to have this perk, or the new exchanger who can now upgrade when availability is offered? .

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who has priority? The platinum RCI member who prepaid to have this perk, or the new exchanger who can now upgrade when availability is offered? .

I would assume that they will both be treated equal with whoever made reservation first getting preference. That being said, if they don't do that, I would imagine that HGVC would get a preference over platinum RCI member.... They are Diamond Elite, do 10s of thousands of dollars worth of business with RCI more than any individal Plat RCI member could even think of doing.