• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas- unit advice needed

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
We just booked a unit at Newport Coast Villas for the end of this month via II. Since we have never been to this resort, which units should we request for two seniors, one using a walking cane, pool use not a major issue, away from lots of noise? I've been reading the reviews on TUG and Trip Advisor, but still need some advice. We do want a unit with a view, but will request a top floor if possible for no noise above us. We will need a building with an elevator. Any places that we must see while there since we will have a car for the week? Also, I did read about how to get around paying the tolls from the Santa Ana Airport (SNA). Any other advice will definitely be of help to us.
Thanks in advance. :hi:

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the area near the top of the hill. Last time we stayed in building 4800. I think the buildings in that area are about 4700 to 5200, but I don't recall for certain. It's nice and quiet up there, away from the main pool and lobby areas.

Last time we were there was mostly family time, plus visits to Disneyland and the Getty Villa, neither of which are close or convenient to Newport Beach.

We're going back for a few days next weekend.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
HERE is the resort map if that helps you determine an area you might like.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Almost all the bldgs have elevators except a few of the 1xxx bldgs but they don't have views anyway.

I'd suggest any of the 4xxx bldgs except the 4700 bldg almost every room in all these bldgs have a nice view while the upper floors have great views.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks so much for your help. I just made a copy of the map. When the resort contacts me for my requests, I will have a better knowledge of what has been recommended by you Tuggers.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Does anyone know which units have been refurbished? We just returned from Lakeshore Reserve in Orlando last week. We've stayed there three times this year. I would really hate to stay somewhere else that only has older furnishings. I'm not trying to compare LR, but it is our favorite along with the Surf Club in Aruba.

Last edited:

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call the pre-arrival team in connection with making your unit request, and ask them which buildings have been refurbished. If you call and ask for pre-arrival, they will take your call, or will definitely call you back. At NCV, the pre-arrival team is instructed to make contact with every guest prior to arrival.

All that being said, I do not think that any of the 4000 buildings have had the most recent refurbishment. In fact, I think that all of the most recent refurbishment has been on the buildings down at the bottom of the property, so you may have to choose between view and the new look. But I do not know for sure, so please call and ask.

Enjoy your stay! Great time of year to be there.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
I would call the pre-arrival team in connection with making your unit request, and ask them which buildings have been refurbished. If you call and ask for pre-arrival, they will take your call, or will definitely call you back. At NCV, the pre-arrival team is instructed to make contact with every guest prior to arrival.

All that being said, I do not think that any of the 4000 buildings have had the most recent refurbishment. In fact, I think that all of the most recent refurbishment has been on the buildings down at the bottom of the property, so you may have to choose between view and the new look. But I do not know for sure, so please call and ask.

Enjoy your stay! Great time of year to be there.
We were there a few weeks ago and that was my belief too. The refurb has only gotten to the 1xxx so far ( maybe a few 2xxx )

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Greetings:

You are all correct again. I received an email today from the pre-arrival team. Here is what they said; "Thank you for submitting your preferences to our Vacation Planning Team at Newport Coast Villas. As we prepare for your upcoming stay, please know that we have taken your preferences into account, and have tried our best to accommodate each request. At this time, we are able to confirm your requests for a top floor near the Canyons Pool with a partial ocean view, though we were unable to meet your requests for a renovated unit."

We will be very satisfied with the unit that has been selected for us. It is located at the top of the hill as was suggested by you. As long as we will not hear people walking above us, we can enjoy our stay without being in a refurbished unit.

Are there any must see places while we are in southern CA? We did a tour of Hollywood last year while staying in Escondido, but it was just so-so. We did not get to see any of the celebrity homes. We went to Universal Studios for one stop, Farmers Market, and Hollywood Blvd Walk of Stars. Are there any good tours?

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Definitely take the free shuttle to Crystal Cove and have a meal on the beach at The Beachcomber Cafe. You can also go to Laguna Beach and see all the artists and sculptures, lots of great places for food there, don't miss dessert at Dolce Gelato.

You might like attending a TV show

http://www.latourist.com/index.php?res=M&page=tv-show-tickets

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Bill, is there a reason why I should stay clear of the 4700 building? That building has no views?
Thanks so much for your help.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Are there any must see places while we are in southern CA? We did a tour of Hollywood last year while staying in Escondido, but it was just so-so. We did not get to see any of the celebrity homes. We went to Universal Studios for one stop, Farmers Market, and Hollywood Blvd Walk of Stars. Are there any good tours?

When we were there a couple years ago, we took the Essential LA tour with Glitterati Tours. They have several other tours to choose from as well. They were perhaps a bit pricey, but in the end, we felt it was money well spent as the tour was private, done via a brand new extra large comfortable SUV, was customizable to our wants/needs and was very professionally done...we saw a lot and never felt rushed. It might be worth checking them out.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Bill, is there a reason why I should stay clear of the 4700 building? That building has no views?
Thanks so much for your help.

The bldg is turned so from the rooms you have a view of a hillside instead of the ocean. all the other 4xxx blds have good to unbelievable views

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for that update Bill. I figured it had to be something important enough to stay away from if possible.

On another note, is it better for the two of us (seniors) to book a tour to Hollywood via the resort, or check the rates via Groupon and other online websites before leaving for the trip in two weeks? We took a Groupon tour to Hollywood last year from Escondido, but we weren't impressed. There seem to be a lot of options other than the private tours. We want to see more of the celebrity homes, etc since we visited the Walk of Stars last year. Since we'll have a car, is it better to drive to Anaheim to get the tours? I really don't want to drive to LA. We're flying into SNA.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Thanks for that update Bill. I figured it had to be something important enough to stay away from if possible.

On another note, is it better for the two of us (seniors) to book a tour to Hollywood via the resort, or check the rates via Groupon and other online websites before leaving for the trip in two weeks? We took a Groupon tour to Hollywood last year from Escondido, but we weren't impressed. There seem to be a lot of options other than the private tours. We want to see more of the celebrity homes, etc since we visited the Walk of Stars last year. Since we'll have a car, is it better to drive to Anaheim to get the tours? I really don't want to drive to LA. We're flying into SNA.

NCV has several tours which pickup people at the resort. BUT if you find a tour which starts out of the disney area, driving to disney is fast and easy when you use the carool lanes of hwy 55 & I-5

Remember that the 73 freeway is a toll road and cost >$3 to go about 2 miles so use MacArthur instead

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks again Bill. I'll give the resort a call to see what they have available.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Help!
We've had a most enjoyable stay during our time at Newport Coast Villas. We leave tomorrow, but got on the 73 yesterday for less than one minute by accident. How do I pay the toll? Do I call Alamo to find this information? I vaguely remember the time to be around 12:45 PM, but I'm not sure where we got on and off 73. I think we were on Newport Coast Dr and was supposed to make a right on Turtle Ridge Dr, but took a wrong turn just before it. I think that we exited at Bonita Canyon Dr.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Help!
We've had a most enjoyable stay during our time at Newport Coast Villas. We leave tomorrow, but got on the 73 yesterday for less than one minute by accident. How do I pay the toll? Do I call Alamo to find this information? I vaguely remember the time to be around 12:45 PM, but I'm not sure where we got on and off 73. I think we were on Newport Coast Dr and was supposed to make a right on Turtle Ridge Dr, but took a wrong turn just before it. I think that we exited at Bonita Canyon Dr.

Bummer - here's the page to pay it online: https://www.thetollroads.com/ontheroads/for-visitors.php

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for your help.