• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Forfeiting MR points upon death of MR member

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I both have separate MR account numbers. He has 389,000 points in his account and I have 154,000 in mine. He is very seriously ill with brain cancer and the long term outlook is not good. Since the cancer is on his brain stem his cognitive and speech abilities are seriously impacted thus he can hardly be calling Marriott to make arrangements to order up a vacation package. I understand this his points will be lost should he not survive his illness. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save any of these points by say putting his miles into a FF account in my name with United or American that I could then use at some point in the future? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We gave up use of our weeks several times to accumulate those points for future travel awards and it just burns me up that we gave up our weeks usage and now those points might be useless.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I both have separate MR account numbers. He has 389,000 points in his account and I have 154,000 in mine. He is very seriously ill with brain cancer and the long term outlook is not good. Since the cancer is on his brain stem his cognitive and speech abilities are seriously impacted thus he can hardly be calling Marriott to make arrangements to order up a vacation package. I understand this his points will be lost should he not survive his illness. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save any of these points by say putting his miles into a FF account in my name with United or American that I could then use at some point in the future? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We gave up use of our weeks several times to accumulate those points for future travel awards and it just burns me up that we gave up our weeks usage and now those points might be useless.
I am so very sorry to hear of your husband's illness.
I did enquire about this when I first became aware of the possibility of points being lost in such circumstances.
The written response I received from Marriott Rewards clearly stated
"I would like to thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards regarding your account.
In case of death of course we can transfer the points to the widow( only the widow)."
I hope this provides some reassurance.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kathy,
I am so srry to read your post. One point you may wish to note is that using your points online would mean that you coud decide how to use them and you do not need to speak with anyone when doing that.

I hope this all turns out well for you.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sorry about your husband.
As stated earlier, points are available to the spouse

From Marriott's Rewards Terms & Conditions page - http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

Conditions of Enrollment

1. Only individuals are eligible for Rewards Program membership, and each individual may maintain only one Membership Account. Corporations, groups and/or associated entities cannot enroll as Rewards Program Members.

2. Employees of the Company are ineligible to participate in the Rewards Program.

3. Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone except as provided below. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. In addition, there is a limited exception for the transfer of Points to the accounts of friends or family. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.” Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance. Points cannot be bartered or sold for cash or other consideration. Any Points which Marriott Rewards deems in its sole discretion to have been transferred in violation of Rewards Program Terms and Conditions may be confiscated.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Kathy, my thoughts are with you as well. Note, that you may transfer points between accounts at any time. Should you wish to, you can do it now. Just takes a form and the points can be moved.

Last edited:

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I thought that I had read that points were forfeited if the member passed away. I am happy and relieved to,know that they can be transferred to me in the event of his death.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
...you may transfer points between accounts at any time. Should you wish to, you can do it now. Just takes a form and the points can be moved.

Only up to 50,000 points per calendar year or in an amount necessary to obtain a specific award. The transfer at death of a spouse would seem to be the simplest for a large number of points.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Only up to 50,000 points per calendar year or in an amount necessary to obtain a specific award. The transfer at death of a spouse would seem to be the simplest for a large number of points.

True. I forgot you had to be getting an award at that time. My error.