• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help in deciding whether to purchase additional points

robhbev1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to purchase an additional 154,000 Wyndham Grand Desert even years on ebay ($40 a month for MF).

I made two other purchases this past year. A Tahiti Village Moorea (Float: Biennial Odd), which I used for a RCI exchange to the Royal Islander in Cancun for a week in July 2016; 154,000 odd year points for Wyndham Grand Desert, which I purchased in Sept. 2015, escrow has not closed yet.

I also own 154,000 annual points for the Wyndham Grand Desert, which I have 44,000 credit points available to use from Oct. 2017 to Sept. 2018. I usually borrow points frequently.

I would like to go to Hawaii again next year and plan on staying at Wyndham.

I currently pay $201 MF annually for TV (my first payment will be due in Jan. 2017); $67 MF a month for the annual years 154,000 points at Grand Desert; estimate $40 MF a month for the odd years 154,000 points at Grand Desert

So does it make sense for me to purchase additional points in order for me to have enough points for the Hawaii trip?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
So does it make sense for me to purchase additional points in order for me to have enough points for the Hawaii trip?

Just for one trip? No. Rent from a platinum owner.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Just credit pool your points to use for special trips, if there are to be the exception rather than the rule.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to the Tahiti Village week

but with wyndham the new 154 k grand desert even will balance the 154k you already have coming. Added to the 154k annual that you have will bring you to 308000 points per year

Thats a nice size ownership, big enough that you exceed the minimum program fee, an exact multiple of 77 so you get 4 reservation transaction and enough housekeeping points for 4 stays in a 2 bedroom unit>>

The guestion is, as has been suggested in other posts is Will you use that many points every year?.. and only you can answer that

Given your location in Sacramento you have a few resort choices close by: San Francisco, Angels Camp, Las Vegas, maybe San Diego and Indio, I know I woukdnt have any problem using those points (I might be shopping for more).

Last edited:

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Given your location in Sacramento you have a few resort choices close by: San Francisco, Angels Camp, Las Vegas, maybe San Diego and Indio, I know I woukdnt have any problem using those points (I might be shopping for more).

If you go to the more pricey city units a few long weekends and/or invite the extended family on a trip or two they go fast. We have over 700k points and qualify for vip points discounts and somehow still need more. I work fulltime and expect to travel more after retirement (whenever that can happen) so would't have a problem with acquirint a few more .

Bob

gktravelgirl

Reaction score
I am a Wyndam owner myself, and have yet to upgrade . I currently have the 154,000, but have already borrowed into 2017. Wanted to know if I should buy points on eBay and if it is legit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
I agree with the others here. If it's for a one-time trip where you need more points, either credit pool your points so that you have enough or rent. If you truly expect to be traveling more on a regular basis and staying at Wyndham resorts, and you can afford the annual maintenance fees, then go ahead and buy.

I would also try to have an exit strategy in mind and check it against reality every now and then. At this time, it could be as simple as selling the points on ebay yourself and using someone like LT Transfers to do your closings. And if you originally bought resale, you might even come out ahead.

Yes, you can buy resell points on ebay, or directly from resellers like Sumday. They cost pennies on the dollar compared to buying retail. The transfer process can take several months (usually about 3 months, more for CWA points). You can try to search for the sellers name here or on the Buying, Selling, Renting area to see if anyone has made positive or negative comments. The thing is to make sure you understand Wyndham and what you're buying so you can spot potential errors and what is a good value for your needs. Also be aware that resale points will not qualify you for VIP status, Club Pass, Plus Partners, and certain other Wyndham perks available when you buy directly from Wyndham at premium prices.

gktravelgirl

Reaction score
What is your opinion of Wyndham , compared to other timeshares. Is there a website for just Wyndham, I am very skeptical of buying points from a third party .I do not know the lingo, or what I should know is a good price.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion of Wyndham , compared to other timeshares. Is there a website for just Wyndham, I am very skeptical of buying points from a third party .I do not know the lingo, or what I should know is a good price.

This is the best place to learn about Wyndham

start with the stickies

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas