• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pacific Palisades

brettskyg

Reaction score
I am investigating a re-sale purchase at this property which I understand to be an affiliate. From what I was told the transfer fee is 650. Is this normal that affiliates charge higher trasnfer fees? Are there any additional fees associated with an affiliate property and point usage?

for 5,000 points, the maintenance is only 950 including taxes. So what am I missing here?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am investigating a re-sale purchase at this property which I understand to be an affiliate. From what I was told the transfer fee is 650. Is this normal that affiliates charge higher trasnfer fees? Are there any additional fees associated with an affiliate property and point usage?

for 5,000 points, the maintenance is only 950 including taxes. So what am I missing here?

Make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Advanced Financial is the company that handles all Grand Pacific Resorts and they make mistakes and also change their "rules" whenever they feel like it.

What is the season/week/size of the unit? I own a one bed and a two bed there. Neither are 5000 points. Both are what HGVC considers to be gold season. The resort allows booking weeks 1 - 26 and 34 - 52, I think. Some of those are platinum in HGVC, but the points always stay the same. 2 bedroom is 5800 points, one bedroom is 3400 points.

GPR charges $995. to transfer HGVC ownerships. If the unit is removed from HGVC, they charge $695 to remove from HGVC and put back to normal resort week. If it is not already HGVC, the transfer fee is $450. <- That's all based on what they told my broker when she sold one of my weeks last year.

The MFs you posted sound about right for a one bedroom. It may be a little higher, but not much. Two bedrooms are more like $1100.

Kd311

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm staying there now...

Hello:

I'm just wondering if you've been to GPR lately? We are staying there now. We have had good customer service, but our room is showing its wear. The fake wood is coming off the cabinets and I can see daylight under the front door and on the sides. I could go on. We have had great customer service here. We have an ocean view room on the third floor. The ocean is far away (you can see it's water at least). I'm wondering if this resort will be doing an upgrade soon (furnishings look old too). Not Hilton standards. We have had a good stay, but just sayin...

Marbrisa is about a half mile farther up the road, but new construction. I think it's less likely there would be a special assessment for upgrades. Just MHO of course :) I saw 5,000 gold resale at Marbrisa for $2,500.

Good luck with your decision :)

Karen
3,400 EOY Bouelvard
3,400 Annual Flamingo

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Presley, what are you paying in taxes for those units?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if you've been to GPR lately? We are staying there now. We have had good customer service, but our room is showing its wear.

It's been almost 2 years since I've stayed in a room there. They have done a room update over the course of the last couple years. I don't know if your room was done and is already messed up or if they didn't finish all the rooms yet. What color are the chairs at the dining table? They used to be all different colors. The upgraded rooms have very mellow colors. They would be more earthy tones if they have been upgraded. The affiliates will never be Hilton comparable rooms. Don't ever expect a Hilton when you stay at an affiliate.

I stayed in a practically brand new Marbrisa unit a year ago. There was a huge stain on the carpet and both the couch and loveseat were partially shredded on the sides. It was very disturbing that such a new unit would look like that. We got to our room around 5:30 and the housekeeper was still in there cleaning. She said guests were checked into all the rooms she was cleaning that day. This has also happened at other GPR Carlsbad locations. I think they need to hire more housekeeping.

brettskyg

Reaction score
Make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Advanced Financial is the company that handles all Grand Pacific Resorts and they make mistakes and also change their "rules" whenever they feel like it.

What is the season/week/size of the unit? I own a one bed and a two bed there. Neither are 5000 points. Both are what HGVC considers to be gold season. The resort allows booking weeks 1 - 26 and 34 - 52, I think. Some of those are platinum in HGVC, but the points always stay the same. 2 bedroom is 5800 points, one bedroom is 3400 points.

GPR charges $995. to transfer HGVC ownerships. If the unit is removed from HGVC, they charge $695 to remove from HGVC and put back to normal resort week. If it is not already HGVC, the transfer fee is $450. <- That's all based on what they told my broker when she sold one of my weeks last year.

The MFs you posted sound about right for a one bedroom. It may be a little higher, but not much. Two bedrooms are more like $1100.

Usage: Annual Float Weeks 1-21 & 43-50

Unit: 2 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom, Full Kitchen, Sleeps 7

Deeded As Unit # 389, Week # 47

and the ad says 5,000 points.

it does correspond with the point chart here
http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/california/grand-pacific-palisades/

I was told by the broker that the fee is AFC charges $695.00, HGVC club fee is $300.00. Does this all make sense?

brettskyg

Reaction score
I wold presume that the only other fee not included here is the 140 annual fee?

Is it wrong to purchase with the philosophy of points are points and it doesnt matter where you plan on going?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told by the broker that the fee is AFC charges $695.00, HGVC club fee is $300.00. Does this all make sense?

That makes sense because it adds up to $995.
I don't know about the season/weeks because it sounds like HGVC completely took over some of the units there if they are using that weeks grid when they sell. This is the first I've heard of that, but it doesn't mean that it is wrong.

I bought my units without HGVC on Ebay. Later, I was able to convert them to HGVC because I made a developer purchase at Marbrisa. My weeks hold their original booking priority, meaning I can book through GPR for any of the weeks I posted above. If I book my week through the Hilton portal, I will be locked to the HGVC gold calendar. I paid the $450 transfer fees on them (well, one only cost $1 and included all the transfer, but someone paid the $450) because they were not affiliated with Hilton when I purchased.

What is it that you really want? Do you want Hilton or do you want Grand Pacific Palisades?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wold presume that the only other fee not included here is the 140 annual fee?

Is it wrong to purchase with the philosophy of points are points and it doesnt matter where you plan on going?

The $140 is correct. You'd have booking fees and such with Hilton that are normal if you book anything other than your owned week.

You can purchase with the points are points philosophy, but if you are doing that, GPP has really high MFs compared to other places.

I will look for my last year's bill and post the breakdown.

EDIT FOR STATEMENT:
GPP 2 bedroom "gold" by Hilton standards - annual contract
Assessments 756.62
Capital reserves 141.25
Property Tax 126.67
Total 1024.54

Last edited:

brettskyg

Reaction score
The $140 is correct. You'd have booking fees and such with Hilton that are normal if you book anything other than your owned week.

You can purchase with the points are points philosophy, but if you are doing that, GPP has really high MFs compared to other places.

EDIT FOR STATEMENT:
Assessments 756.62
Capital reserves 141.25
Property Tax 126.67
Total 1024.54

Estimated 2016 Maintenance Fee: $934.00

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like presley, I bought a GPP unit on EBay. I had the contract/owner ID# from the seller before I purchased it and called GPP direct and found out exactly what I was buying beforehand. What I was buying for pennies on the dollar was a fixed week 2BR unit. The best units to buy, if you want to convert them to HGVC points is "fixed" week platinum units, not floating. Example, my 1BR is fixed and worth 6200 points, most floating units are worth 3400/4800 points in HGVC. My 2BR is worth 8400 points, most floating units are worth 5000/7000 points. Same maintenance fees, but more points for fixed and platinum week units. So I bought the 2BR on EBay. It was not a HGVC unit when purchased. But then, back when this was possible, I purchased a resale 1BR platinum (fixed) unit from the GPP resale dept. and part of the deal was to be able to convert both at the same time into HGVC, which I did, and have been quite pleased. I have the benefits of being a GPP owner and also the benes of a HGVC Elite points ownership. About the only downside I have seen for affiliate ownership is that you can only borrow points from one year in advance for the affiliates, not two years as with true HGVC units.

Best of luck in your purchase/decision.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
But then, back when this was possible, I purchased a resale 1BR platinum (fixed) unit from the GPP resale dept. and part of the deal was to be able to convert both at the same time into HGVC

I am under the impression you can upgrade your VOI to reach elite, does that mean that you must trade in your current VOI and buy something new then? I thought you could upgrade a week and convert a second week into HGVC to get elite benefits on that unit also.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am under the impression you can upgrade your VOI to reach elite, does that mean that you must trade in your current VOI and buy something new then? I thought you could upgrade a week and convert a second week into HGVC to get elite benefits on that unit also.

Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try and respond. My point was that when I got into HGVC via two ownerships at GPP, all was done via resale. One was from EBay (purchased first) that was a fixed week 2BR and then after I owned it, I contacted the GPP resale dept. that helps distressed owners get out from under their week, which is how I purchased by 1BR fixed week. Part of that deal was to convert both weeks into HGVC and HGVC points, which gave me >14K points in HGVC and Elite status. HGVC will take-in on trade (or give credit for) existing TS units from what I understand, but to get Elite now I think you have to purchase at least one unit "retail". That is what I was able to avoid before they (from what I'm told) closed the loophole.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the question, but I'll try and respond. My point was that when I got into HGVC via two ownerships at GPP, all was done via resale. One was from EBay (purchased first) that was a fixed week 2BR and then after I owned it, I contacted the GPP resale dept. that helps distressed owners get out from under their week, which is how I purchased by 1BR fixed week. Part of that deal was to convert both weeks into HGVC and HGVC points, which gave me >14K points in HGVC and Elite status. HGVC will take-in on trade (or give credit for) existing TS units from what I understand, but to get Elite now I think you have to purchase at least one unit "retail". That is what I was able to avoid before they (from what I'm told) closed the loophole.

Thanks for clarifying. Makes sense.

elleny76

Reaction score
Hi Confused about the High MF comment.. I sow one for 8400 platinum week 32 for $1133 MF. platinum..how can this be high? I sow a 7k in vegas with almost same FM?

thanks

(You can purchase with the points are points philosophy, but if you are doing that, GPP has really high MFs compared to other places)

Its seems the same price as some of vegas 2bed 7000? anybody?

EDIT FOR STATEMENT:
Assessments 756.62
Capital reserves 141.25
Property Tax 126.67
Total 1024.54

Last edited: