• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interesting article about declining interest in perpetual ownership

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And it's the same with school and property taxes. They just keep going up and up and up, and in many areas of the country the value of the home keeps going down the older it gets. You never really "own" the home. Your kids won't want it and probably can't afford it even if they did want it. And, it becomes harder and harder to sell because of the taxes. Then, even if you do sell it for nothing, you cannot purchase anything else because maybe where you want to move to costs a lot more money then you got for your house. If you are lucky, maybe you can find a rental, but even those costs are out of sight.

Maybe home ownership should go the way of renewable interest timeshares. After 25 years, you can renew or give back to the town and walk away.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Home ownership is a product of the GI Bill after WWII. Before hand, the majority of the US population lived in rental spaces. And often in a heavily dense groupings and in today's view, marginal living standards. Shared kitchens and bathrooms; all the kids in a bedroom and sharing beds; parents living in the living room; multiple generations functioning as one family unit. And people had way fewer clothes, too. Less consumer products, too.

Would I want to go back to THAT? No ... but can we afford to live in McMansions for 1 to 5 people?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Home ownership is a product of the GI Bill after WWII. Before hand, the majority of the US population lived in rental spaces. And often in a heavily dense groupings and in today's view, marginal living standards. Shared kitchens and bathrooms; all the kids in a bedroom and sharing beds; parents living in the living room; multiple generations functioning as one family unit. And people had way fewer clothes, too. Less consumer products, too.

Would I want to go back to THAT? No ... but can we afford to live in McMansions for 1 to 5 people?

Heck-soon we all can't afford to live in 1500 square foot homes.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me say upfront that I am retired and no longer own a home but with most of the younger generation not having traditional Pension Plans and not saving adequately for retirement, maybe owning a fully paid for home and being able to use a stream of payments from a Reverse Mortgage to supplement Social Security when no longer able to work could be a good thing.

George

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck-soon we all can't afford to live in 1500 square foot homes.

My first home at age 22 was a 1206 sq ft rancher for $28,500. Don't think I have not thought about downsizing to a similar house, as I have.

And when I think about spending part of the winter else where ... I think about moving into a smaller apartment ... instead of a house with sidewalks and needing to be heated while I am playing snowbird.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My first home at age 22 was a 1206 sq ft rancher for $28,500. Don't think I have not thought about downsizing to a similar house, as I have.

And when I think about spending part of the winter else where ... I think about moving into a smaller apartment ... instead of a house with sidewalks and needing to be heated while I am playing snowbird.

Yup! Lol! My first house was $25,000 and 1300 sq. feet- a ranch- and I was 21! Must have been on the same life path then! Ha! Ha! :D