• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Help

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So going to Maui for Wife's club trip.
We are planning to add 3 days on start at Marriott (And 5 days on end on Kauai).

She earned an extra day so now I have some extra points to spend.

So need some help.
Background - Just wife and I. She like to sit on beach or by pool reading book.
Going First week in May 2016.

First, which MOC should we pick. I had planned on MOC (not towers) but read that pool will be closed, so should I switch to towers?

Second, Studio vs 1 Bedroom?

Third, Mt/Ocean View/Front?

Thanks for help.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think a lot depends on how much cooking you plan to do on your own and how much you are going to dine out. The new towers have full kitchen and laundry in the units, where the old section does not. Though they do have on site laundry and a newish community kitchen. There are also grills on property for grilling. Another draw back to the old section is that there is not a full size fridge in the unit like in the new towers.

A 1BR is always our preferred choice just for the extra room. If you can swing an ocean view or even better an ocean front, I would go for it.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the pool maint was in the fall...

Thank You. For some Reason I read Aug 2015-Dec 2016.

So never mind on pool.

So now other question - New vs Old. Studio vs 1Bd

No cooking, 3 days so we plan to eat out.
Sitting by Pool/Beach are main concerns.
I am thinking Old Studio, right now we have Mountain and my wife says she doesn't care, but will she?

And what makes New better than Old - I have no bias, so looking for folks to sway me. Right now I picked old because slightly fewer points and closer to big pool, but points are not that much a difference to matter for 3 days.

Anyone know of any pictures of Mt vs OV vs Ocean Front.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thank You. For some Reason I read Aug 2015-Dec 2016.

So never mind on pool.

So now other question - New vs Old. Studio vs 1Bd

No cooking, 3 days so we plan to eat out.
Sitting by Pool/Beach are main concerns.
I am thinking Old Studio, right now we have Mountain and my wife says she doesn't care, but will she?

And what makes New better than Old - I have no bias, so looking for folks to sway me. Right now I picked old because slightly fewer points and closer to big pool, but points are not that much a difference to matter for 3 days.

Anyone know of any pictures of Mt vs OV vs Ocean Front.

For a studio, go for the old section. It has larger rooms, and the new tower studios do not have laundry or a kitchen either. If a 1BR, go for the new towers. All parts of MOC can easily use any of the pools, so don't let that influence your choice. The big thing is view. Almost all views at this resort are nice, but if you can you should definitely get ocean view or ocean front. Those views are phenomenal.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
For a studio, go for the old section. It has larger rooms, and the new tower studios do not have laundry or a kitchen either. If a 1BR, go for the new towers. All parts of MOC can easily use any of the pools, so don't let that influence your choice. The big thing is view. Almost all views at this resort are nice, but if you can you should definitely get ocean view or ocean front. Those views are phenomenal.

I agree with this advice -- if Studio, go Old. I think the Mountain/Garden views from the Old Tower can be quite good, often with Peak-A-Boo views of the Ocean. I've had Ocean View designations that were not any better than the MVs.

I agree that the 1BR in the new towers are preferred to the 1BR in the original. And OF always rocks, but a real price premium.

Let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So Studio Ocean Front, I should go for Old vs New?

For three nights, hard to justify 600 points for 1Bdr

Does that sound like a good decision.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you just need a bed to sleep in with no intent to cook in the unit, I would just take the studio.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
So Studio Ocean Front, I should go for Old vs New?

For three nights, hard to justify 600 points for 1Bdr

Does that sound like a good decision.

Yes, I think that is a good decision. And if you need to do laundry, the community laundry room is large and quite convenient.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
So here is what Wife decided.

3 Nights MOC (old) Studio, Ocean View (She looked at pictures and wanted that)

Then we spend 5 at Hyatt (Her Chocolate Sales Incentive Trip)

Then 5 More at Kauai Lagoons.

Now all we have to do is wait :)

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
So here is what Wife decided.

3 Nights MOC (old) Studio, Ocean View (She looked at pictures and wanted that)

Then we spend 5 at Hyatt (Her Chocolate Sales Incentive Trip)

Then 5 More at Kauai Lagoons.

Now all we have to do is wait :)

Your choices are good and you will have a marvelous two weeks. Maui Ocean Club and Kauai Lagoons are our two favorite MVCI resorts of the 30 we have stayed at. And the Hyatt is great also. (I presume it is the Hyatt Regency resort and not the new Hyatt timeshare, which would be even better.)