• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Properties on Oahu

jivebone

Reaction score
Looking for information on the properties on Oahu. It seems like lagoon tower is most popular. I can never find availability when I search dates. Does anyone have favorites that would be good for a family of four with 9 year old kids?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With high demand locations like Hawaii, you have to be flexible with dates and willing to take what's available over what you want. It's kind'a like hunting for a parking space on a college campus (or at a busy Wal-Mart) -- There'll never be a spot near where you want to go, but drive around long enuff, you might find something you can live with.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
With high demand locations like Hawaii, you have to be flexible with dates and willing to take what's available over what you want. It's kind'a like hunting for a parking space on a college campus (or at a busy Wal-Mart) -- There'll never be a spot near where you want to go, but drive around long enuff, you might find something you can live with.

Not only is that funny, but oh so true! :p

I understand you're HGVC (by profile), but the real 'family' resorts on Oahu (IMHO) are Ko Olina and Aulani. But, since you're RCI, MKO (II) is off the table. And, of course, getting an Aulani exchange for a family of 4 is probably just about impossible.

Don't know your timeline, but consider renting/exchanging. Great family resorts. You'd need a car--but you'd avoid the whole Waikiki traffic issues/public transit from the airport and still be able to visit the sights (if desired).

Obviously, I'm not a fan of downtown Wkk. Jm2c.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the Hilton Hawaiin Village resorts are located in the same place. Lagoon Tower and Grand Waikikian even share a lobby. You can stay in any of the towers and be fine. It's an extremely busy place, but plenty of fun stuff for 9 year olds to do. Grand Waikikian is easier to book because it takes a lot more points. Most people will choose Lagoon Tower to save on points. I've stayed in both and liked Grand Waikikian better.

The newer resort is Holokini and that isn't in Hilton Hawaiin Village. I haven't been there, but it doesn't look ideal for kids. However, if that is your only choice, it won't be awful.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
You can get Lagoon tower but you have to book it exactly at the 9 month mark to get what you want.

You really have to plan ahead with the Oahu properties.

Kalia tower could work since the kids are small. 4 people could fit a 1BR in a pinch.

jivebone

Reaction score
Yes, I was speaking specifically about the Hilton properties. When I am at the site, lagoon tower has very little availability. Was curious about the Grand Waikikian if that was a good one or not. Or any comments on the best one To shoot for if lagoon tower is booked.

hockeybrain

TUG Member
Reaction score
We go exactly when we want to Lagoon because we own there and only go there every year. That being said, Grand Waikikian is a good second best. Rooms are a bit larger in general for what you get but Gand Waikikian has faster elevators, I think one more elevator, larger elevators and a washer / dryer in each room that is convenient. You only need a 1 bedroom ocean view in either Lagoon or Grand Waikikian. Location is better with Lagoon if you like the beach access. Grand Waikikian rooms over all are nicer, though after the upcoming renovations they should be very similar. Problem with the Hokulani is that when you are out your last day you are out at 10 am, while if you have a later date you have the Grand Waikikkian members lounge to store your stuff, enjoy the property for the rest of the day, shower, relax until you leave for your flight later that day. Holulani is not as close to the water city property that looks fine though we have never stayed there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Looking for information on the properties on Oahu. It seems like lagoon tower is most popular. I can never find availability when I search dates. Does anyone have favorites that would be good for a family of four with 9 year old kids?

We took the kids to HHV when they were 8,10 and 12 and they loved it. They paddle boarded in the lagoon for hours and we all had a great time on boogie boards and floats. It's a great property and your kids would like it.

We prefer Lagoon Tower because it is closest to the ocean but we would stay in GW if LT wasn't available.

Let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does GW have City view rooms?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes. The lower floors aee considered city and i believe the rooms facing the mountain range on the end of the building.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. The lower floors aee considered city and i believe the rooms facing the mountain range on the end of the building.

I assume those rooms are the lower point rooms for their respective category. I would hope they don't have one of the high point requirement rooms facing the city.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I assume those rooms are the lower point rooms for their respective category. I would hope they don't have one of the high point requirement rooms facing the city.

All the one bedrooms have city views, 6-10 look right down Ala Moana Blvd toward the mall. The penthouse level on top look over just about all the buildings in the area, so they will see some ocean, or Pearl Harbor.

Here are some pics to give you the idea. The resort view was from a newspaper article a few years ago when they announced two new towers, the Rainbow Bazaar tower was canned, the transit tower is now under construction, its called the Islander and is in pre-construction sales with high point values like GW.

80ec9e6f4faa7cf8fe8b0212e7603337.jpg
a75fa36c3b0135281b9136732e0fa0c4.jpg
25fbe8b27d6c68548768edec2844b474.jpg

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, very informative. I thought they were going away from the really high point values at GW and KL. I guess not.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

My room was a city view. When I was on the lanai, I had as much of an ocean view as a city view.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
What floor were you on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk