• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use Marriott Rewards Points [Europe trip]

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
We are planning a European vacation next summer using rewards points for the air/hotel package.

Thinking about Italy and adding a second week at MVC-Marbella or MVC-France via II trade or DC points but are open to go anywhere in Europe. I am looking for suggestions for country and city or cities, which category and which Marriott hotels in the category (can you use the hotel nights at different hotels?), the airline choice and what city or cities for our arrival and departure points. I have over 110k miles on both Delta and American and 55k on United; all three fly out of our home-town airport. Minneapolis and Omaha are easy drives for alternative airports.

I've been to Europe spending six months in Spain and in school 40 years ago; my wife never has been there. She is a teacher and teaches summer school so we are limited to two periods of two weeks each--early June and mid August.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you redeem points for a hotel/air package, the hotel nights must all be used at the same hotel. You can't split it between different hotels.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you redeem points for a hotel/air package, the hotel nights must all be used at the same hotel. You can't split it between different hotels.
True,but worth noting that you don't have to use the hotel part of the package on the same trip as the air part of the package.

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did our first European trip earlier this year, partly with a rewards points travel package. My wife doesn't like flying, so we took the QM2 to Southampton, then trains to Granada, Paris and London. Enjoyed all three cities, London the most. Stayed at Marriott London County Hall, would not recommend unless the refurbishment is complete. Also spent one night at St. Pancras Renaissance, highly recommended. If you don't stay, consider a visit just to see the building. They offer free guided tours (weekends only?)
Flew back Heathrow to EWR, first class. (United has one way tickets which are usually half fare of r/t). My wife enjoyed first class so much she would gladly do it again!
Saw three shows in London, very nice.
We stayed at Airbnb in Paris and Granada, so no Marriott recommendations.
One other thin I recommend is a debit card from Charles Schwab. No atm fees, no foreign transaction fees.
Enjoy!

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I second the Charles Schwann debit card rec for foreign travel

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the Charles Schwann debit card rec for foreign travel

You have GOT to be an old-time recorded music collector! SCHWANN was the man who had the huge index of all the vinyl, cassettes, etc. of available music in the US. We conservatory students in the Sixties treated our copies as if they were our Bibles (which - they kinda were . . ). Now, everything indexing is digital - and most people buy their music in other ways than flipping thru albums in a *record store*. We still have several hundred vinyls (down from a thousand or more) that now live in our basement, FREE to serious musicians and students who appreciate the vintage performances, which have NOT been re-released digitally - although today we bought the HUGE Richter box of all of his recorded-and-hoarded piano recitals and concert appearances. HEAVEN. As for a debit card - I have no specific knowledge of the Schwabb one - we are Morgan Stanley people - still . . .

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used reward points frequently in Europe, this last spring used reward points for fifteen nights in Italy - five each in Rome, Venice and Milan. If you're interested in specific suggestions about where we stayed and why I'll be glad to respond. All three were part of a chain that Marriott bought over there that were classic establishments. Of course, you know that if you use reward points for four nights you get the fifth for free - so you can bet that we always do that.